Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

USB Charge Nokia 5800

USB Charge Nokia 5800

Morning,

just got this handset and the USB sync cable does not seem to charge it, is this right??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: USB Charge Nokia 5800

The USB cable that comes with the phone can only be used as a data cable. To charge the phone you have to use the charging port on the phone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

That is correct, the 5800 cannot be charged by USB.  It can only be charged through it's charger port.

If USB charging is required you need one of the following products or a 3rd party alternative:

CA-100:

http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_182803

CA-126:

http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_1074951

Please use plain text.

Cheers guys!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Why do people automatically assume that a phone with a USB port can be charged through that port in the first place? Especially if the charger connects to a charging port (2mm socket on recent Nokia phones) and not to the USB port...

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Because probably most user of such a phone will spend a lot of time in front a computer and having a usb port not capable of charging is, besides a sign of total disrespect to it's users, also incredibly STUPID. The 2 mm socket chargers creates nothing but trouble. It's hard to use, it breakes very easy and it doesn't offer any advantage to a usb charger. A normal charger should be offered maybe as an option. Oh and yeah, another thing: it's cheaper to create a usb charger rather then a normal one, and done properly will charge the battery with a lot less chance of a fatal surge then a normal one. There is really no point in NOT having USB charging but market ones. Thanks again nokia for **bleep** services.

Ok, maybe I'm upset that I don't have USB charging, but plz do share with us noobs the advantage of having a 2mm charger? Just because they are to lazy to put the socket from the usb wire to the charger? A wire that by design  is capable of charging a device. God forbid we actually make use of it.

I'll tell you why, because of people like you who have no interest in actually doing a thing good all the way and are content to live in mediocrity and indifference and then have the guts to criticize someone who made an excelent point that for some strange reason it bother you.

And before you start telling me I'm rude and so one, give me a good reason why it shouldn't be able to charge via USB, then you can call me all kind of name and whatever you want.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

If you're careless with your 2mm chargers then that's your problem. For my part, I have yet to break one. I'm not saying that won't ever happen, I am saying that the things are much less frail in normal use than you seem to be making out.

As for why most current phones with USB connectivity cannot accept charge through their own USB ports, it's because of the extra electronics and software required to detect whether the phone is connected to its dedicated charger or to a computer's USB port. If the former, it will draw more power than if the latter.

FWIW, I've had phones with USB connectivity, several brands, since 2006. The only phone I've had that did have this feature was a Motorola RAZR V3. It is comparatively new, which is why it's not generalized yet. It is, however, becoming more popular with more and more present and future models from Nokia incorporating it.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

"If you're careless with your 2mm chargers then that's your problem"

Legaly yes, it's my fault, moraly no, it's not ONLY my problem. I have been extremly careful with my charger and even so now it's seriously bent. It still fits the socket but I'm afraid to use it so I don't damage the phone so I bough another one. The charger is ridicously fragile. Unprotecded in some box it will bend in any tight lugage on any bumpy road, so no, I'm not hapy with it. And I can say I have seen a lot of bend nokia chargers, a looot. Just because it didn't happened to you it doesn't mean it's ok. You either had very good luck or you're a very, very careful person.

"As for why most current phones with USB connectivity cannot accept charge through their own USB ports"

Lets see Apple, HTC, PALM, Samsung, Sony, Motorola and probably the list can continue, all theur new models have usb charging. Right, and I'm crazy thinking that only nokia doesn't use this. Even my sony which I got for free from the store has usb charging!!!!! And gues what, I have no need for usb since it's memory is 4MB but I still charge it that way, because it's more confortable, quiker, it's near me all time as I'm always at the pc, and so on. I admint that for most of them you have to pay extra, but that I understand.

Need to run now. I had a lot more to say on this, maybe tomorow

Please use plain text.

Hi

My 5800 shows the charger as plugged in then just shows "not charging" - does anyone know why, my N73 charged OK from the USB port of the PC, but this one doesn't seem to want to.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Sage
gtbarry

Read psychomania's post above. For whatever reason, the USB will not charge the 5800.

I bought two of the CA-100 cables.

I use one at my desk with my laptop and carry the other in my laptop bag. That way no matter where I am I can usually find a USB to charge off of and this is much smaller than an AC Adapter.

Please use plain text.

I am not using the physical USB connector to the phone, I am using a USB to 3.5mil phone charger plug ;-)

Please use plain text.
Advisor

well, i store important files on my phone, and to share it with my office PC i carry cable in one pocket and phone in another. Its likely i dont get chance to charge battery in home with charger, it will be nuisance to carry charger in the pocket and Cable together. So it would have been far better if they've implemented USB charge option for the phone and i think thats not that hard for them to implement.

I personally feel it will be easier, sharing file to my office PC and charging the phone simultaneously with same USB cable will be much more easier and comfortable than plugging both charger and cable to the phone while working.

Please use plain text.
Sage
gtbarry

Then look at the CA-126 that psychomania mentions above. It is physically the same thing as the USB cord that came with the 5800 in the box. But the 2mm charger forks out and they can both be plugged into your phone from the same USB port.

And yes, I agree that the charge off the mini-USB would have been nice. But since that is not how it is, deal with the circumstance.

Please use plain text.

erm - anyone got any thoughts on why the phone shows "not charging" when I try charging mine from the USB of the PC to the 2mm socket on the phone (the lead is OK as I have checked with other phones? Are there any settings that I have missed?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Is the USB port supplying enough power for the phone to use?

Some USB ports don't provide enough power for some phones to charge, especially on some laptops and netbooks.  Try using other ports or a powered hub.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have a usb => 2mm charger, and a micro usb data cable (came with phone)

My phone will only charge from usb, when the data cable is not plugged in.

They are physically different cables, and i can even try physically different ports

Please use plain text.
Sage
kevamiga

I used to get "not charging" a lot with my old 6220 classic... if the phone was low on battery. This happened with my N73 also. If it wont charge on USB and the charge is low, try turning the phone off for a few mins with the lead plugged in, boosting the battery but not powering the phone, then switch it on with the cable still in - worked for me. Oddly, I never get any problems with my CA-100 and my 5800XM... although i got mine from flea-bay and im not sure its a genuine nokia accessory, although it says on it that it is .. who cares it works lol :smileywink:
Nokia 5800 Xpress Music :smileyhappy: - Please leave Kudos if I helped you! Thanks!!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I think you can plug in the charger and USB cable at the same time, but don't quote me on that.
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Please use plain text.

USB charging seems to me to be a natural thing to expect. Having just switched to the 5800 from a Sony Ericsson K750i, which has USB charging with the pre-supplied cable, I was disappointed to find that the 5800 doesn't have this functionality.

Best wishes,
Sune

Please use plain text.
Contributor

do you mean ca-142? which ebay user did you buy it from? i bought one but it again does not work at the same time.
Please use plain text.