Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Very large unknown file format on my N78

Counsellor
marcek6
Accepted Solution

Very large unknown file format on my N78

Hy, I have recently been doing a cleanup on my micro sd card an have come across a very large file in the directory:    microsd/private/101ffc31/glxmdstn.  The file "glxmdstn" is of an unknown file format. The computer doesn't recognize it and it isn't visible in my phone's file browser. The file is 140 MB large. I want to delete it but I don't know what purpose does it have. Does anyone know if it's safe to delete it? Maybe it's obsolete data? Yes and it says that the file has been created on december 2008. Thats before I got the phone and even before the new micro sd card.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Leave it alone, then use the format memory card option in your phone. It would delete all unnecessary data that is not related to your phone. If its unnecessary, then it will be deleted.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
locus

i think its the new meduia player database file i think, had some issues wuith my music library, crahisng and read somewhere this is themusicplayer database, deleted this file opened music player and it rescanned.

file seems to get bigger the more media you store.

however after i deleted the 98Mb file and rescanned it was recreated but only 35Mb...

Please use plain text.
Sage
jim64

glxmdstn is the thumbnails cache for photo gallery.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
marcek6

I will delete the file and get back to you.

Thanks for the posts.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
marcek6

Ok I've deleted it. Nothing's different except for the pictures menu. It must have been some kind of cache for the taken pictures. When I went to the picture menu it started to buffer the taken pictures from previous months. But strangely there is no more "big file" in the private folder.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
marcek6

O pardon, I've missed your post Jim64. You're right! Sorry.
Please use plain text.