Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Vodafone firmware update failed

Advisor
montala

[ Edited ]
Hi,

I have just spoken, (again!) to one of Nokia's 'high level' service centres in the UK who have confirmed to me that they have still not received a version 3.xx firmware upgrade for the N70.

Although they are prepared to 'flash' to the latest generic firmware version; as gshocked, and others have found, you will of course then 'loose' all the Vodafone specific keys, icons and settings, which is not admittedly the end of the world... just a bit of a pain!

I will contact them again in another 10 days or so, and will post an update on here as soon as I receive any further info.

Message Edited by montala on 14-Feb-2006
11:44 AM

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

14-Feb-2006
11:42 AM
montala wrote:
you will of course then 'loose' all the Vodafone specific keys, icons and settings, which is not admittedly the end of the world... just a bit of a pain!

I had mine flashed at a Nokia service centre and it failed and had to be sent off to Nokia to be fixed, when I got it back it did have version 3 on, the vodafone live icon had gone as did the red theme and a few background pictures but all the Vodafone links were still there, vodafone settings still there and its still locked to Vodafone. I can live without the red theme as I had it turned off anyway and I just set the right navigation key to "web" and everything now is like it was before.
Oh and the red Voda logo has gone thank god!! got my own logo there now :-)
Please use plain text.
Contributor

hey all,

Just to let people out there with vodafone branded n70 thinking about upgrading to the latest firmware.

One thing i learnt over the past few days is that make sure you REALLY NEED the firmware upgrade on the n70 phones. The problems with my phone were ringtones stuttering and bluetooth connections droping out, so to fix this, as advised by the Care line was to get a firmware upgrade. Even though they ASSURED me that the branding, screen savers and logos would stay they did not. Very disappointing to have vanilla phone.

I called both service centers in my state, one said that the branding shouldn't have been taken off in the first place and the other didn't know. So at this stage it seems that ver. 3.0546.2.3 18-11-05 rm-84 is a NON VODAFONE firmware upgrade and there doesn't seem to be one coming.

So if you like your phone branded vodafone just as you purchased it, don't upgrade your firmware(unless your phone is completely buggered and blinking and making weird noises).

Bewarned...
gshocked
Please use plain text.
Advisor
montala

Hi,

This is the very point I have been writing about out for the last few weeks! Just to try and clarify the position here though, the general procedure is as follows:

When Nokia release a new firmware upgrade for one of their phones they will first issue what is called a generic version, which is not customised to any one particular network. In the case of the N70 this is Version 3.0546.2.3 as mentioned above.

It is then up to the individual networks, i.e. Vodafone, O2, etc to customise this particular firmware with what ever branding, logo’s (and possibly certain restrictions) they decide to incorporate, so as to match that model to their particular network. When they have done this they make the revised version available to the service centres etc… although some are quicker at getting round to doing this than others!

When a user takes his phone to a service centre for a firmware upgrade, what the technician SHOULD do is to only use the latest version of the network specific firmware, which unfortunately in the case of Vodafone is still only 2.0539.1.2, and which most folks will probably already have anyway, but which is known to have certain ‘issues’ with Bluetooth connections, ring tones, radio reception etc.

In an attempt to be helpful (or to keep their customers happy) some service centres will use the generic software, without often realising, or advising the customer of the full implications of this action, and it would appear that this procedure is not without its problems either, as there have been posts from a number of users whose phones then had to be sent back to Nokia before they would work again! I am convinced that where they are actually sent is to a high level service centre, which is just down the road from Nokia’s UK HQ in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, and which why I always take my phones there in person, rather than to a local agent.

So as ‘gshocked’ said above, unless you are really desperate, or fully appreciate, and are happy to have (or even possibly prefer) the generic version…it is best to wait until Vodafone get round to releasing the updated firmware, which will hopefully be within the next couple of weeks, before handing over your N70 to your local service centre.

Apologies to anyone who knew all this anyway, but I hope that others may find it helpful.
Please use plain text.
Sage
gadgetdude

I totally agree with montala, what I would like to add to this thread is a warning:

If you decide to go for the upgrade from variant software to generic and in the future a different NSC software upgrades your phone back to variant software (usually lower version)not realising that you now have generic software on it WILL KILL the phone.

BE WARNED!

Gadget
Remember to mark all correctly answered questions as Solved. A forum is only as great as the sum of its parts, together we will prevail.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hey all.

I spoke to vodafone today and they claim that all nokia service centeres should have the latest frimware for vodafone live n70. Although according to nokia, there is no such thing. No offence to both companies but its very hard being the consumer and being told conflicting things. I hope one day both parties can agree on something.

gshocked
Please use plain text.
Advisor
montala

Hi,

So far as Vodafone are concerned the latest version of their network specific software for the N70 is still Version 2.0539.1.2 or thereabouts, and unless they specifically mentioned version 3.xx what they told you is, in effect, correct.

Nokia of course, who have already released the later version, are not responsible for the length of time it takes for the various airtime providers to customise the software for each individual 'phone.

I can full appreciate your feelings here, and unless things have changed in the last 24 hours the comments made in my earlier post are still correct. If pressure is to be bought anywhere is should be on Vodafone rather than Nokia, and we can only hope that this matter will shortly be resolved.

Being a believer in 'practice what you preach' I have actually just spent the last 15 minutes or so talking to Vodafone technical support, and have been assured that someone will email me back shortly (apparently the department concerned can't speak directly with 'end users'!) to advise me of the latest position here. If not I shall be contacting them again!

So, as they say... 'Watch this space'!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

any updates from vodafone
Please use plain text.
Sage

i have spoken to vodafone on many occasions and have been told 3times that there IS a version 3.05 vodafone sofware out but no one can provide a phone running this software and i was unable to locate a service centre that had it either. mines now running generic and all the vodafone problems with mms sending etc have been cured
Please use plain text.
Contributor

thanks mate, i guess its a case of vodafone possibly talking **bleep** with their head held high and the service centres just doing the only thing they can..

gshocked
Please use plain text.
Advisor
montala

Hi,

I have just spoken again this morning to one of Nokia's high level Service Centres who have indeed confirmed that they have STILL not received an updated version of the N70 firmware.

The guy I spoke to said that he is getting a lot of enquiries about this from unhappy Vodafone users, who are experiencing bluetooth problems etc, but of course there is nothing they can do about it (other than use the generic version, which some users may prefer, and others won't!) until the new firmware is released onto their private website... which is apparently how all the Service Centres obtain it.

My advice is for all Vodafone N70 users to moan at Vodafone about the problems they are experiencing with their new phones, and just hope that the message eventually gets through to the right department.

I am sure that the update will arrive eventually, and I will enquire again in another week or so, but it is just more than a bit annoying that it is taking so long!
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]
To be honest GSHOCKED, after all the hassle iv had with mine, vodafone offered to replace my handset with another n70 knowing AND agreeing i could have that flashed with generic software OR pick a completely different handset (something vodafone rarely do!). my handset's gone back in for a reflash as the ringtone started getting distorted and going slow. dont know why, but if its not fixed after the reflash, im going to take up the offer of another n70 and get that flashed with generic. theres no other handset on the market i like. and no other nokias i prefer including the new n80 (ugly).

as for de-branding it, i dont miss the vodafone red theme etc, i always use my own anyway. i dont like the way operators meddle with handsets or 'brand' them

Message Edited by wolfy on 03-Mar-2006
02:10 PM

Please use plain text.
Sage

good news is that after the reflash, the phones fine at the moment. no sign of ringtone problem and its actually a bit quicker than before?! the flash mustnt have 'taken' properly the 1st time. either that or something iv put on it has been affecting the software (unlikely0
Please use plain text.
Sage

So if I Nokia flashes my phone with generic software, will this remove the sim restriction?

Cos if it does I will be over the moon!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

no, sim locks can only be removed by your network.

generic software will just give you a sw update with sim locks
Please use plain text.
Advisor
montala

Hi,

I know this particular thread is getting a bit old now, but I thought that some readers may be interested in a bit of an update.

As most folks will probably be aware, Nokia have now issued another firmware update for the N70, the generic version of which is 5.0609.2.0.1.

No doubt the airtime providers will get round to releasing customised versions in due course... some may even have done so already... but I am only personally interested in Vodafone.

They never did release a version 3.xxxx update, as apparently it conflicted with their messaging services (or something like that) but my friendly high level Service Centre is fairly confident that they will shortly release an update based the latest version.... hopefully within the next couple of weeks... but then I have said that before haven't I!!

More news in due course... hopefully!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ras_tafari

I had my phone back and it still have firmware 2.0539.1.2 19-10-05 after my local service centre sent it to Nokia... I called Vodafone today and they "advised" that it is not their problem only if the handset has problems with making or receiving calls, sms or mms do they regard it a problem. I reminded the csa of the MMS (re MMS over 40K)issue, he offered to send a replacement sim card!!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Hi, Is there anymore news on this?? I have had enough of all the Vodafone problems and am thinking of getting the latest generic version flashed onto my phone. I would rather like to not have the Vodafone logo etc.. Will I loose all my data on the phone when I get it flashed?

Message Edited by karn on 27-Jun-2006
11:21 AM

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

prior to your post, we seem to have stopped talking about this in april.

i would assume that vodafone has solved this issue.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

When it comes to Vodafone, you should never ASSUME anything.
Please use plain text.