Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Vodafone have removed Internet Telephone applicati...

Contributor

Vodafone have removed Internet Telephone application from N95

Received my new N95 from Vodafone a few days ago.

Tried to set up the included Gizmo VOIP service. Gizmo works as expected and enters the SIP settings.

However I cannot define my VOIP settings because Vodafone felt it appropriate to remove the application from the phone. They advise that VOIP has no impact or use on their network so they have disabled it.

I find this extremely irritating and somewhat monopolising.

Is it possible to reinstall the Internet Telephone application or will I have to wait for a FW upgrade?

Anyone any ideas cos until I can get it back I can't use VOIP at all!!!

TIA for any help!!!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
nj7_

Re: Vodafone have removed Internet Telephone application from N95

Is always the same. The operators destroy the phones:smileysad: Is because that kind of behavior that I prefer always open phones, only controlled by me.
Please use plain text.
Professor
tweets

did you say you got gizmo something or other included with your habdset, my N95 is on O2 through CPW and is a generic handset and I never got any gizmo thing, i like the sound of voip but never used it so i wouldnt know if mine was working or not?
Phones I've owned (not in any order) 8210 7100 3510 3510i 7650 9210Communicator 1600 3310 3330 3650 5110 6230 9500Communicator N70 N90 N91 N73(ME) N95
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Its not only Vodaphone
Have just recieved my N95 from Orange and the same is true.

I was hoping to set up my Sipgate accounts, but cannot due to the application being removed

This was one of the key factors for obtaining the Phone
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Tweets:

Gizmo is located in the Download! folder in the main menu - open that folder and there should be a Gizmo icon. Just follow the instructions.

So Orange AND Vodafone are doing the same thing!

I think it stinks frankly - I bought the phone for its capabilities and the networks are crippling it. Doesn't seem right to me - yes they subsidise the cost of the phone but then we are eventually paying for it by paying our monthly bills. Might return mine on the grounds of not fit for purpose as capabilites of the phone as advertised by Nokia have been disabled. Its just greed on the part of the networks.

Nokia, if you are listening, have a word!!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Cant find Gizmo in my Orange N95

The Internet phone app must be somewhere to download!?

Please help!

Nokia?
Please use plain text.
Professor
tweets

how would I know if VOIP features had been deactivated on my handset?

eventually i might want to go down this road of using voip
Phones I've owned (not in any order) 8210 7100 3510 3510i 7650 9210Communicator 1600 3310 3330 3650 5110 6230 9500Communicator N70 N90 N91 N73(ME) N95
Please use plain text.
Professor
tweets

and nope, no gizmo icon, it should be there seeing my handset is a generic version, well at least i think it is
Please use plain text.

Just checked my downloads but no sign of Gizmo. I'm with Vodafone.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

According to Nokia thee Gizmo download is merely a configurator rather than an application in its own right. All it does it configure the SIp settings in the phone to allow the VOIP capability to work with the Gizmo project.

The important point is the 'Internet Telephone' application that is part of the System software of the phone. It should be located in the Menu / Tools Folder of the phone. It, however has been removed by Vodafone. This means that you cannot set up your internet call preferrences for the phone.

Gizmo has configured my SIP settings in the phone to comply wiht Gizmo, however because the 'Internet telephone' application is missing I cannot specify how VOIp calls should be made. When I choose an individual in my 'Contacts' and press the green dial button, the phone tells me that it cannot make an internet call as I have not defined my settings in the 'Internet Telephone' application so to go and do it.

However I cannot do this because it has been deemed inappropriate by Vodafone for me to choose how I want to make a call.

That is the gripe I have - who are they to decide? Instead of ensuring that I always use their network they are actually alienating me and forcing me to consider moving to another network.

How foolish and short sighted of them.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

I cannot agree with all of you complaining about operators crippling your phones. If you pay 20, 30, 50 pounds or so for a telephone that costs 500 or more pounds, you're bound to lose some options or stuff like that.

"Excuses" like I'm paying them back by using their network isn't true, because telephony isn't free by default, I guess you would have the same prices even if you were using Nokia 3310.

Buy a SIM free phone for its regular price, you'll have no problems whatsoever :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for that!

Next?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hole sounds like he works for Vodafone or orange.

The bottom line is that the phone operators are making good profits, otherwise they would not give the phones away.
I got 2 x N95 for my buiness free because I have given Orange between £300 and £600 every month for 4 years.

I wanted Voip to work for the times when I'm out of the country in USA etc and attending shows, when the cost of recieving and making calls is very very expensive. The answer was VOIP over the hotel or Venue LAN. I set up a Sipgate account ready, and have found it really good for land line calls.

When I ordered the N95 I expected it to have the full spec and functionality as Nokia have designed. SIP is in the Settings and I should have the ability to get this function working with no quibbles.

I phoned Orange today, and they were ignorant of the missing application. They sent an update but it was still missing

Hope this clarifies the needs from a buiness perpspective
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

07-Apr-200705:08 PM
synergy wrote:
Hole sounds like he works for Vodafone or orange.

:smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

to hole:

multiply £40 by 18 (thats the monthly fee by the length of the contract)
now dont you think after eventually paying for the phone times over by the end of the contract should i have to resort to wayward means to have a fully functional (as intended by the manufacturer ) phone?
i think this is ridiculous and can only come back to bite these networks eventually with persons opting to purchase the unlocked mobile?
now what do u guys think?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
richcowell

I agree, something should be done to restrict operators disabling/removing functionality of the phones.

It is reasonable to allow them to 'brand' them with themes / logos etc. but in this day any age, when the technology of the phones directly influences the choice, it is certainly unreasonable of them to remove key-features.

This is even more important when it comes to the phones and devices aimed at business/professional users, who decide upon phones for their functionality, rather than their looks.

To get this practice changed completely would be an unwinnable fight, though I think petitions should be drawn up somehow, and submitted through the correct channels - it's got to save the networks time and money dealing with users reporting faults with their variant firmware.
Nokia History: 3110, 5110, 7110, 7110, 3510i, 6210, 6310i, 5210, 6100, 6610, 7250, 7250i, 6650, 6230, 6230i, 6260, N70, N70, 5300, N95, N95, E71, E72
Android History: HTC Desire, SE Xperia Arc, HTC Sensation, Sensation XE, One X+, Google Nexus 5
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

AGREED!!!!
thats the other issue it seems to me that when networks place their fw on the phones it messes up the phones
ive observed this with my n80...one locked one unlocked totally difference experiences with each....
is it just me or does anyone else find that unlocked phones seem to work better?
Please use plain text.
Professor
tweets

[ Edited ]
I read somewhere, cant remember where tho, that one of the many VOIP providers is taking the networks to court/ EU comission or something, to complain that networks disabling VOIP features on handsets is illegal

They are basing this on an act that was passed many years ago that states anything can be connected to a phone line as long as it doesnt intefere or cause harm to the infrastructure (this is going back to when modems and fax machines and like appeared) however the way the legislation is worded means it can extend and cover mobile phones and there networks/infrastructure

I wish i could remember where I read that now

Message Edited by tweets on 07-Apr-200711:55 PM

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

07-Apr-200710:59 PM
roberth wrote:
to hole:

multiply £40 by 18 (thats the monthly fee by the length of the contract)
now dont you think after eventually paying for the phone times over by the end of the contract should i have to resort to wayward means to have a fully functional (as intended by the manufacturer ) phone?
i think this is ridiculous and can only come back to bite these networks eventually with persons opting to purchase the unlocked mobile?
now what do u guys think?

I'm not from UK, so I don't know how things work there.
Would you still be paying 40 pounds monthly fee if you didn't take N95? If so, then I really don't understand how can you say that your paying for the phone.

It's like going to gas station and expecting to get a car for free, because you're regularly buying gas.

It's quite obvious that operator, be it Vodafone, O2 or whatever, wants to make sure that you spend your money with them, because I really se no common sense in giving away expensive phones for free.

But hey, in my country things are somewhat different, to each his own, I guess.

I really don't intent to start flame wars over here.
Please use plain text.

If you go into menu/connect on the E65 it has the internet telephone application. Does this mean it's possible to VOIP using the E65 but not the N95 (I haven't tried to yet).
Please use plain text.