Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

WHY does E71 not have a 3.5mm jack?!

Counsellor

WHY does E71 not have a 3.5mm jack?!

There are a few software niggles on this otherwise great phone, but the choice of a 2.5mm jack is the one absolutley unforgiveable mistake.

There is NO reason for this, other than perhaps trying to force us to buy another phone.

The E63 has one, and transmitting video is not an excuse - as my Zune has both audio and video from the same 3.5mm jack.

This absolutley bizzare and illogical move means that instead of just having my Zune 80Gb in one pocket (for movies and music), my E71 in the other (for streaming iPlayer/YouTube) and one pair of headphones to switch between the two, I will now have to carry a stupid dongle in my jeans pocket everywhere I go.

Well done Nokia, this is the most stupid, pointless self-inflicted wound I have seen on a product in a long time.

You have literally ruined the multimedia potential of this phone, taking it from a 9/10 to a 7/10 in my books.

EVERY single phone EVER made ANYWHERE should have a 3.5mm jack fitted - let alone one with so many streaming/multimedia functions.

At least you aren't trying to brand something that is so poorly equipped for music with a Walkman logo (this henious crime goes to SE) but I would still love to know how this hilarious joke came up in your design meeting.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jamesbell

Re: WHY does E71 not have a 3.5mm jack?!

This provides a "feature" for another more expensive phone.  You'll notice none of the Nseries have a 2.5mm jack.  The idea is perhaps you'll cough up an extra $100-$200 for an Nxx phone (and probably get cute but unusable buttons too).

Even Nokia may have finally realized they cannot work this particular point anymore, this is a common complaint and it's obviously not due to jack size or other considerations anymore.

To be fair though, the first iPhone had an oddly recessed jack that rendered many 3.5mm headsets useless.  And many a Motorola and even some new HTC phones have no dedicated audio jack at all.

I suffer with an e66 that has the same flaw and I curse Nokia everytime I use it.  I wonder what a marketing expert would think of that side-effect?

6133>6131>6120c>N82>N78>e66
Please use plain text.
Sage
sanjaymehta

Here ... Two reasons

1. Business users aren't expected to care.

2. Keeps the phone thinner.

If it bothers you so much just use Bluetooth a2dp headphones or buy an adapter.

I found the lack of blackberry connect a more annoying issue. The 2.5 mm jack was listed on the box. Next time read it.
Sanjay Mehta
Motorola "Brickphone" circa 1996, Alcatel One Touch, Ericsson R380, Sony Ericsson T220, Sony Ericsson T630, Nokia E50, Nokia E61i, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E71,Nokia X6, Google Nexus S, iPhone 4S
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

James, glad we agree.

There seems to be NO other reason for this flaw than cynical marketing - the idea that a company would deliberately cripple their own products in the hope to attract them to a second, imperfect solution is pretty sickening to be honest.

I cannot understand why in 2009 any phones are manufactured without the world's 200-year-old standard headphone socket. Even the **bleep** E63 has one (clearly they realised they needed at least one selling point for this paperweight)

Sanjay, thank you for your pointless contribution.

1. If we were discussing an expensive feature that would not be used, such as an 8Mp camera, then this would be a valid point. A 3.5mm jack should be cheaper if anything, as they are produced in far larger quantities than 2.5mm jacks - and would allow better use of many other features Nokia already decided we would pay them money for, such as Realplayer and a music player.

Saying 'business users aren't expected to care' really is a stupid argument.

2. 1mm extra on the jack input will make negligible difference - and even if it did, the jack is in line with the protruding camera lens, so you could simply extend that protrusion in the casing across, without increasing the profile of the camera at all.

3. Buying another set of headphones or an adaptor to carry around, when otherwise I could simply unplug the headphones that are usually around my neck from my Zune and place them in the E71 is a huge inconvenience - and is not practical when wearing jeans.

4. I did read the specification you moron, but I decided that the phone was still the best in its price range, and stand by that decision.

However, having set the phone up, it does irritate me how much more useful it would be if Nokia had decided that adding 19th century technology to a 21st century device might be more important than trying to weasel more money out of their customers by deliberately selling them flawed products. 

I wouldn’t normally care about a phone’s features, but it makes me so angry when I can see companies who try and imply they care about their customers simply laughing, gesturing and spitting in our faces from their marketing board room.

Message Edited by alexjholland on 30-May-2009 11:29 AM
Please use plain text.
Sage
sanjaymehta

[ Edited ]

Wow. Someone really has buyers' remorse.

Calling me names when you're the dimwit who claims he read the specifications, bought the phone, and then finds that the entire Nokia board room was out to screw him?

Here, spend a few pounds on this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1144&doy=13m6

Better still, get some meds for your rage.

Message Edited by sanjaymehta on 30-May-2009 06:43 PM
Sanjay Mehta
Motorola "Brickphone" circa 1996, Alcatel One Touch, Ericsson R380, Sony Ericsson T220, Sony Ericsson T630, Nokia E50, Nokia E61i, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E71,Nokia X6, Google Nexus S, iPhone 4S
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nack

@ sanjaymehta

this 2.5mm Stereo Plug to 3.5mm Stereo SocketAdaptor doesn't work on nokia phones because nokia has 2.5mm jack that has 3 rings (left speaker, right speaker and mic - I dont know right order) and this adaptor has only 2 (spreakers, mic). I think that nokia has some adaptor but I'm not sure. thy to find in nokia accessorie

Please use plain text.
Sage

Although I agree that using 2,5mm jacks is a bit stupid and very annoying, I'm inclined to agree with sanjaymehta; take a deep breath and calm down... there's absolutely no need to get abusive.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

no slagging each other please by right they should make the 3.5mm jack a standard

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Sage
sanjaymehta

nack,

I have a similar adapter and it works pretty well.

The phone detects it and uses the built in microphone when you just have headphones plugged in and not a headset. So you can use regular stereo headphones and still make/receive calls.
Sanjay Mehta
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
iggy23

that adapter is huge though - no way you can slip your E71 into your pocket with that sticking out of the side (i have visions of it snapping off inside the E71 too... nasty).

Can't you get a flexible/wire adapter, or a flush L-shaped one? Nokia should make them - and then give them to all E71 owners for free :smileywink:

Currently using E71, looking at options
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

there is an L shaped adaptor available

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hey man, why do you think the people just think like you?

For example, I'm AGREE TOTALLY with the 2,5mm jack.  The fact that this cellphone has a microUSB and a 2,5mm jack makes it so thinner.  The 2,5mm jack is very small!

Besides, why a cellphone MUSTN'T HAVE a connector with 200 years (really 100) in the market.  Look at your computer behind.  There isn't a big clum syparallel port, or a big 50-pin SCSI connector, or things like that.  All these connectors was substituted by one tiny (compared with this connectors) USB, all of them.  In fact, audio link will be substituted by a optical link (one cable, no more), and the video link will be substituted by a USB-like cable (HDMI) that carry audio and video in one package.

So, why Nokia must be stick with a big connector, when the small connector does the job?  Excuse me but, I prefer ithe 2,5mm!  Now it's the time!

Moreover, im my opinion, the big mistake in the phone is really really really the fact that it's impossible to charge via USB.  For me, this is stupid, because the charge input is... 5V @ 350mA, and a USB can carry up to 500mA (USB 1.1 specs).

If you're very upset about that, I think you're in the wrong way   Buy a N series...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

sanjaymehta wrote:
Here ... Two reasons

1. Business users aren't expected to care.

2. Keeps the phone thinner.

If it bothers you so much just use Bluetooth a2dp headphones or buy an adapter.

I found the lack of blackberry connect a more annoying issue. The 2.5 mm jack was listed on the box. Next time read it.

I agree with sanjay. To complain now after the purchase is like trying to un-ring a bell. I also think it was not a smart decision on Nokia's part to use non-standard audio connections. I simply purchased the BH-214 Stereo BT Headset and connect it to my Shure headphones and I am set.
How ever, to claim that the entire Nokia boardroom convened a meeting to screw someone personally sounds quite sophomoric in many ways. 
As for the jack, there is a Nokia accessory that you can purchase (actually another headset) that will allow you to connect your personal headset to the Nokia adapter. Here in Finland it costs about €20 or so.

Show the KUDOS button some love.... Hit that bad boy.... It don't hurt....

Apple iPhone 5,
Retina MacBook Pro, iPad Mini, Nikon D4

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

I am not sure but USB charging on arrived with FP2 on Nokia phones so as the E71 is FP1, it would not be possible anyway. Not to mention that with upgrading the firmware, with the E71, all data is lost while with the E75 (I traded up from the E71 to the E75) I can upgrade the software and still retain my data. Another FP2 advantage.

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I'm sorry, but trying to justify the choice of a 2.5mm jack is irrational beyond stupidity.

- 99% of headphones are made with 3.5mm jacks. Fact.

- This will continue indefinitely. Fact.

- Having to carry around a convertor to use with any of my collection of elitist headphones SUCKS. Fact.

- Adding a 3.5mm jack would have had negligible effect on the cost and size of this phone. Fact.

Of course I knew this was the case before I brought the phone, it's just something that becomes progressively more irritating, the more features such as iPlayer and YouTube I install and begin to use.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I agree with everyone that its annoying, but dismissing it as stupidity on Nokia's part when we have a small fraction of the knowledge is silly. There's the issue of how much effort it takes Nokia's engineers to include a feature that most people don't care about. I find it annoying also, but the people who really care about the 2.5 mm jack are the subset of people who plan to use this phone as an mp3 player and additionally care so much about audio quality that they need better headphones but don't care enough about audio quality to get something with better sound quality (and I strongly suspect that the N95 has better sound quality, by all reports).

See what I'm saying? It's not a huge market share. There's also the fact that the E71 is the thinnest smartphone on the market, by a substantial margin. It could have gotten very dicey including the 3.5 mm for internal reasons. The E63 which is almost the same phone but has the 3.5 mm jack is way thicker. It's a small diference don't get me wrong, so I'm sure it's possible. THe question is, is it worth the extra effort for their engineers, which brings me back to my first point.

Ok now for all the people who wanted to use nicer headphones with this, I have something constructive. The 2.5 mm stopped bothering me when I realized the following: if you plug your standard 3.5 mm direct into your phone, you now have no microphone. If someone calls you, you either have to take off the headphones and talk into the phone (stupid) or leave the headphones on and awkwardly hold the phone in front of your face to talk (stupid). This is stupid, so while being able to plug a 3.5 mm direct is nice once in a while it doesn't work for me as a M.O.

Solution: Get the Shure MPA-2B. It's a cord less than a meter long, with a 2.5 male at one end, and a mic and a 3.5 female at the other end. It has been confirmed on Amazon by multiple people to be fully compatible with the E71 (it's "for treo" but still works with E71). Now, you can use your elitist headphones and also have microphone access. I think this is the best way to use a phone as an mp3 player, and guess what, if you do it this way it doesn't matter whether your jack is 2.5 or 3.5. It's around 30 US with free shipping. The only downside: your cord gets kind of long. Personally I am solving this by ordering a headphone model that has a short cord and comes with an extension. I think for example sennheiser CX 400.

Hope that helps.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

Hi alex,

I gave you a Kudos for your frustration and believe me I have had it too, but I also decided to make a compromise as the E71 is a great phone. The 2.5mm jack I would have to live with, if I wanted to have a phone that did what I want. It was annoying but as there are so many solutions for it, I simply ignored the 2.5mm jack and never once used it. I have been using BT Stereo headsets and I could not be happier. The one advantage of this is that no matter which phone I get, I can now use my BT device from phone to phone and not have to worry about which jack is put on a phone. 

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jamesbell

Okay this topic is really self-evident from the start.  99.9% of the headphones in the world are 3.5mm so that's the obvious choice when selecting a headphone jack.

But there could be other considerations.  Thickness of the phone is certainly one.  Using a feature (or lack of one) as a way to steer the user is another.

Thickness is a non-starter here.  The jack is either 2.5mm or 3.5mm, the phone however is 10mm thick, clearly there's room for an extra 1mm on the jack.  The "engineering" required for the difference is either zero or very close to it.

Segmenting the market by including/excluding a feature on the other hand is just what Nokia does all the time.  It's the reason they have over 50 phones being actively supported/developed right now.

I think there's really only one reason to choose 2.5mm, and that's the create a (negative) feature that will drive people to other (likely more expensive) phones if that feature is important enough to them.

As a consumer the problem is I'm forced to settle for an inferior jack if I don't want one of the N-series phones.

6133>6131>6120c>N82>N78>e66
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

As was said earlier in the thread, E-series are primarily designed for business users, so their primary features are those conencted with corporate use - they are capable of playing usic, but it is not their raison d'être.

Jamesbell also suggested that it is a way to drive people towards more expensive phones. Yes, and no... BBeing intended for business users, buying on corporate budgets and often making bulk orders, E-series preices are indeed kept lower than N-series - N-series are designed for the people who are buying to get the latest multimedia features, and so are willing to pay more for the status of the product.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I'm glad some of you seem to have your heads screwed on.

However, I still don't understand these bizzare arguments made by several people about the 'extra engineering' needed to fit the 3.5mm jack, or the 'increased costs'.

How can a component that takes up a negligible amount more space, is produced in vastly greater numbers (and therefore according to basic principles of economics is likely to be cheaper) need any additional engineering or cost to be implemented?

And again - if this is a business phone for members of the **bleep** party, then why does it come with RealPlayer and DRM management, making it one of the few phones that supports iPlayer?

Let me spell this out:

FOR NO ADDITIONAL COST OR NEGATIVE IMPACT ON PERFORMANCE, THIS PHONE COULD DO ALMOST ANYTHING A CONSUMER WOULD WANT. FACT.

The CHEAPER, INFERIOR E63 has one - and the ONLY possible excuse is that it is thicker. Yet we have CLEARLY established that adding 1mm to the headphone jack will have little to no impact on size.  

Therefore, there is NO reasonable explanation for why Nokia would do this.

And thanks for the recommendations, but having to unplug one cable that is next to my fingers every time I get a call is vastly less inconvenient then carrying around extra bits of hardware. And I will certainly not be carrying around additional pairs of second-grade headphones. I have a £100 pair of M Audio Q40s and I refuse to use anything else.

Please use plain text.