Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: WLAN on N95 - No Gateway Reply

Contributor
padmund

WLAN on N95 - No Gateway Reply - Nokia's Reply

Well folks,

I got speaking to Customer Service with Nokia, and a Technician called me back. He told me some things to try to see if it resolved the issue of " No Gateway reply " and also " WLAN Network not found " even though your right beside the router !

What he told me didnt fix it so I rang back and got put through to another person in the technical team. He explained there are only two reasons as to why " No Gateway reply" or " WLAN network not found " can appear on the handset

1) Your access point settings, usually these should work automatically ok when you connect to a network hoeever two things in the access point setting can cause the error messages .. the first being the WEP key - if you enter it incorrectly, and secondly and more likely issometimes you need to define the " gateway " itself in the advance settings of the phone. This is in the connections - access points - " YOUR ACCESS POINT " - select " options " on your network name - this will take you to advance options and then select " IPv4 settings " this will allow you to assign your fone an IP address and to also enter the gateway IP from your router ( usually something like 192.168.1.1 )

if this does not fix it !!!

2) As in my case nokia have said I have an " intermitten antenna fault " in my handset, as the fact it has connected at all and then wont, and wont connect to any other networks is a fault.

Im getting brand new handset swap delivered the day after tomorrow so hopefully that will work fine.. I told nokia a lot of people had been having the same problem about " no gateway reply " and he said they can usually fix this within about a minute, as its to do with people not setting their N95 up correctly with their BT homehubs.

Hope this posts helps some people :smileyhappy:

All the best

Paddy C
Please use plain text.

Re: WLAN on N95 - No Gateway Reply - Nokia's Reply

1st point works just like a charm to me!!! Thank you very much for your help!

I can now download and surf on my N95 like 'nobody's business'. Heheh!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rob1969

I tried all the above tips and can now not find my wireless router at all. I could before but was unable to browse as I kept getting a message saying the browser was cached and I needed to restart my browser software but when I did restart I would just keep getting the same message,hence why I tried the settings you gave.

I wonder if anyone could help me with this or falling that maybe tell me the default settings as I forgot to make a note of them, As even though I could not browse with default settings I could still connect via my wireless to down load maps etc.

Many Thanks in advance.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rob1969

I got it working at last.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

hi rob1969 can you please give me the steps for the settings. i'm still getting No Gateway Reply.( I have given the ip, default gateway, WEP key...). Thanks in advance...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rob1969

[ Edited ]
Hello mate ,
How I finally sorted it was by putting in the DNS servers numbers you can get them from your PC by going to START then RUN then type in ipconfig/all that will then bring up all the numbers you should need, Sorry I cant be more in depth but I think I only got mine working by trial and error.

Good Luck with it mate.

Message Edited by rob1969 on 04-May-200711:47 PM

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I don't know if this will help to any of you having "no reply" problem but this is how I solved it. After trying for many hours messing with pc and what not I was not able to get my N95 working with my WEP encripted network. I than switched to WPA-PSK[TKIP]encription and it worked like a charm. So switching from WEP encripted network to WPA-PSK[TKIP] encription solved my problems. I hope this helps to some of you getting this "No Gateway Reply" error.
Please use plain text.

I seem to have trouble with the WPA encryption, since my WLAN on the N95 connects nicely to the Internet when I switch it off in my accesspoint. Does anybody use passpharse for the encryption rather than Hex numbers? I have been using a passphrase for many years and it works nicely with all other kind of wireless devices on my net. I have tried both though, well I was not really allowed to put all necessary Hex numbers in the N95, which made me wondering. I think I have read and tried most of the suggestions on this forum, but still no luck :-( regards.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I had the same problem and I fix it tonight thanks to this thread. :smileyhappy:

My problem was the WEP key. I thought I can use the pass phase method but obviously not. With the help of the advance config instructions, I managed to specify the key as HEX and type in the full hex key and it worked like a charm after that. What cryptic error messages. :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I kept getting the 'unable to connect - WLAN not found' message even though the N95 always found the WLAN... it just didn't want to connect. I then discovered that if I removed the security from my router, i.e. an open unsecured network, then the N95 had no problems connecting....

So it seems its something to do with the security? But I don't know what, as my previous E61 connected to my WLAN just fine....

I'm on the latest v11 firmware
Please use plain text.

Hi rob
it asks for a primary DNS and secondary DNS, so what did u put in. I have my DNS server same as my gateway: as 192.168.2.1
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I can set my IP address, sub net mask, default gateway.

I get all these from the IPCONCIG command.
What is primary DNS address and secondary address?
What is DNS?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rob1969

[ Edited ]
your dns server address should start with 212 or simalair, You can find your dns server numbers this way too. Goto control panel then Network connections then right click on your local area connection and click properties,then highlight on Internet protocol click properties there and you will find all your dns numbers etc,Unless you have all your settings as obtain ip and dns address automatically in which case you will have to goto run and type cmd then "ipconfig/all" to find the addresses, I got my wireless link to my N95 working via those ways after loads of messing about.
Hope this helps.

Message Edited by rob1969 on 15-Jun-200710:15 PM

Message Edited by rob1969 on 15-Jun-200710:16 PM

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rob1969

Viv sorry this is so late mate I never got an email alert to your reply.Hope you have sorted it all.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks rob, I entered all the details.

The phone tells me it is connected to the router and the router tells me that it is connected,

When I use the browser, I get the no gateway message.................if I could afford to do it then I would thump this piece of metal with a sledge hammer!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

One thing I did notice that may be a problem...................

When I view my WLAN Access points and I find my network connection.
When I select WLAN security settings, it shows my Pre-shared key as ****

My pre shared key is actually 8 numbers/letters.
I have tried entering the correct code which it seems to accept but it still only shows ****

The phone is definately set to WPA/WPa2 mode the same as my router.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rob1969

erm the only thing I can think now is your router or firewall is stopping you from browsing via your phone if its not that maybe call your Internet provider and if they are any good they will help you, Im with Plusnet and they are pretty helpful with things like that, Hope yours are as helpful.
Good luck with it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

The router recognises the phone.

As far as the ISP goes...........totally useless.
They are of no help whatsoever and just tell me to call McAfee at £1.00 per minute for technical assistance.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

All of this is just wayyyyyyy too complicated for the average person. Luckily for me the automatic settings allow me to browse on my home and ofc wireless LANs..I have them set to open with no security..I don't really care about that. However my N95 will not browse at public wifi's no matter what I try. It sees the connection and even says "connected" but I cannot browse past any public hotspot's terms and conditions page. Nokia tech support is totally useless by the way..clueless IMO
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rob1969

Its got **bleep** all to do with mcaffe mate,so good on ya for not calling them , I can only suggest you maybe sending a private message to the starter of this thread he seemed to have his head screwed on and knew what he was on about.
Please use plain text.