Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Water damage used as an excuse to avoid replacing ...

Counsellor

Water damage used as an excuse to avoid replacing handset>>>>

How many other people have been informed that due to water damage your phone can not be repaired or replaced? I have a 6260- and it is still under warranty- every time I closed the flip it would shut off, that was the only problem- this occured about 2 months ago. Last week I handed the phone in to Carephone warehouse who returned it to Nokia- when I collected the phone I couldn't even switch the phone on? I also received a photo detailing where the spec of water was, which was at the top of the phone- this proves I did not drop it in a bucket of water or puddle- and yes I do use the phone when raining- afterall I live in England- the socket for headset and battery are situated at the top of the phone. I have read my warranty and it does not state that I should not use the phone when it's raining- is this a common fault and what can I do- I did not have insurance as they are always looking for ways not to replace handset.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Re: Water damage used as an excuse to avoid replacing handset>>>>

so a nokia engineer has looked at the phone and found water damage, they have also given you a photo indicating this?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Chant - water or any form of liquid damage is not covered by Nokia's warranty and is stated withing the warranty ruls in the manual and on Nokias website etc. You have admitted that you have used it in the rain so that's obviously where it's come from. There is a part in the manual normally titled 'care and maintennance' and part of that will say something like 'keep your device dry'. As for the manual not saying do not use it in the rain, it also doesn't say don't drop in a bucket of water or chuck it off a cliff etc. but you wouldn't do that. Would you use a portable dvd player or anything else outside when it's raining? At the end of the day, it's an electronic device and water and electric don't mix.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
richcowell

I kinda agree with everything that's been said - but water damage can be used as an excuse to void the warranty, and how many of us know whether that's accurate or not?

Anyway, that's not why I'm replying lol

Keep phones in cases! I had a 6260, and although I really didn't like the handset - flip phones are not for me - I had it in a leather case 24/7, as I have had all my mobiles, and I've never had any problems with water damage, and I never worry about using them in the rain (unless it's seriously chucking it down)
Nokia History: 3110, 5110, 7110, 7110, 3510i, 6210, 6310i, 5210, 6100, 6610, 7250, 7250i, 6650, 6230, 6230i, 6260, N70, N70, 5300, N95, N95, E71, E72
Android History: HTC Desire, SE Xperia Arc, HTC Sensation, Sensation XE, One X+, Google Nexus 5
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

i think the phone has an indicator that changes color when it gets near water (near enough for it to stop working).

thats why they need to provide a photo to prove it.

i do not beleive anyone will say its water damage to get out of the warranty, its just not worth it
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

To AsService-

so you never answer your phone when it's raining?

In England not sure if you've noticed but it rains more frequently- I have used many phones albeit not Nokia, that work in the rain, and no problems occur.

The 6260 has all it's sockets at the top and therefore this is a design fault- and because rain falls from above, the phone design invites the rain.

Or are you suggesting that Nokias in general should not be used in the rain?

A mobile phone is to be used as suggested- when mobile- what's the point buying a phone in England if you have to keep it at home. I use non-water resistant watch in the rain to tell time- not had any problems there.

However my main concearn is that prior to handing in the phone it was working, now I can't even switch it on- if it was water damage then why has it taken this long. What's to say the engineer are instructed to damage the phones by adding specs of water?

I feel it's a conspiracy to get out of giving me a new phone and ensuring that I can not use the handset resulting in having to buy a new phone and lining the pockets of the fat cats- everyone knows the consumers in England are hard done by and the profit made from us is riddiculous.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

lol, there is no conspiracy against you.

its quite funny that you make these comments as half the country is either under a hosepipe ban or in the middle of a level 3 heatwave.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes I do sometimes answer my phone when it's raining but I am aware of how easy phones can get liquid damaged so I will answer it in some kind of sheltered environment whether than be a bus stop, shop doorway or whatever.

The 6260 may be slightly easier if you do use it in the rain due to the contacts on top but all phones are easily damaged by water.

Yes I am suggesting that Nokia's are not to be used in the rain, but I am also suggesting that handsets of any other make are not used either.

I cannot comment on the fact the your handset has stopped working completely now as I don't know what happened and what the service centre has done. The damage happens when the phone is used when it is wet inside. That obviously shorts the circuits and stuff inside the handset and therefore it happens over time due to the usage.

There is no conspiracy and the service centre has not deliberately damaged your handset. The service centre will get paid by Nokia for repairing the phone so by saying it is liquid damaged and not repairing it, they will not get paid by Nokia so it is within their interest to repair it.
Please use plain text.
Professor
megadodo

Can I just point out to everyone that I can't think of a manufacturer who repairs their own phones in the UK, they all use service agents to do it for them. Why do the service agents do it, they get paid to do it! It is not in their interests to reject a phone for liquid ingress as they wont get paid so why would they not do work that would earn them money? They only reject the repair because they know if they try and repair it it WILL come back again and cost them money.
How that liquid ingress got into the phone is another matter. It only requires a very small drop of water on the outside of the phone to "suck" into the main board by capillary action and wreck it. If you look at all phone instructions it tells you not use the phone in any situation where it may get wet. If your phone does get water on the outside dry it straight away.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Well said megadodo. My point exactly.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

i will also chip in and say, yes people in the UK use their phone in the rain, as do many others in europe.

however, the majority make the choice to try and keep it as dry as possible during this time - regardless of where the connectors are.

nokia service points have many faults, but this is not one of them
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
bandofbrothers

In principal I agree with all the arguments for and against this issue of when and where and what conditions you should use your mobile fone. The addition to the closed flap ontop of a Nokia 6111 is probably the way forward.

People tend to forget that this little piece of technology is expensive {mainly due to free upgrades, which does not show the true cost of a subsidised network mobile}

I understand you didnt take warranty out and thats your choice , but most mobile fone outlets include water damage with their stand alone warranties.

Have you tried your home insurance under accidental damage as this is what I did with mine and received a new for old replacement.
Nokia Lumia 1020
iphone 5s16gb - black/slate

Be happy !!
Please use plain text.

06-Jul-2006
10:34 AM
megadodo wrote:
Can I just point out to everyone that I can't think of a manufacturer who repairs their own phones in the UK, they all use service agents to do it for them. Why do the service agents do it, they get paid to do it! It is not in their interests to reject a phone for liquid ingress as they wont get paid so why would they not do work that would earn them money? They only reject the repair because they know if they try and repair it it WILL come back again and cost them money. How that liquid ingress got into the phone is another matter. It only requires a very small drop of water on the outside of the phone to "suck" into the main board by capillary action and wreck it. If you look at all phone instructions it tells you not use the phone in any situation where it may get wet. If your phone does get water on the outside dry it straight away.

It isnt just direct water either! Corrosion of components can be caused by condensation and sweat! How many women keep their handset in the kitchen whilst cooking? Whilst Men tend to keep them in their trouser pockets, especially whilst out, for instance. The corrosion can take months to affect the phone. Insurance is generally reccomended as certain policies now cover liquid ingress! As for them being mobile, handsfree will help. If you should take a call when its raining, all that will be open to the rain will be your handsfree set! Cut the risk youll cut the chance of it happening again!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
shinzon

Well guys, the same thing happened to me in Italy... the only difference is I never used the phone in the rain and not even dropped it in the lake... and by the way, i sent the phone in for repair 2 times: the first time it was repaired and they said there was an electric damage, no sign of oxyd or water... the second time they come up with this oxyd/water thing... and I didnt even got a photo of the water... sure, there is no water in my phone!! don't you think this is just an excuse? I think it is, because I was told that per Nokia policy if a phone comes to service center 3 times the 3rd time it will be changed... so they didnt repair mine the 2nd time with an excuse just to avoid changing it... pretty smart isnt it?
------
Lorenzo
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
richcowell

Water damage doesn't just happen because of the rain or dropping it in water... it can happen if you keep it in your pocket - if it's hot, the phone can get sweaty... no offence! lol
Also, if you use it in different atmospheres - hot & cold climates... going from one to the other can also make condensation form inside and damage the phone...

It's a nightmare I know, but it happens :smileysad:
Nokia History: 3110, 5110, 7110, 7110, 3510i, 6210, 6310i, 5210, 6100, 6610, 7250, 7250i, 6650, 6230, 6230i, 6260, N70, N70, 5300, N95, N95, E71, E72
Android History: HTC Desire, SE Xperia Arc, HTC Sensation, Sensation XE, One X+, Google Nexus 5
Please use plain text.

I am another customer who experienced the refuse of NOKIA to replace a phone two months old given the presence, as stated by the assistance point, of traces of water within.

Please allow a few words on the subject.

1 point: it is clear that it is too easy, for a manifacturer of mobile phones, to drop responsability about water damage saying that phones must be kept dry. It is for everyone evident that a drop of water cannot be avoided by the user for instance (as it has been reported) if he answers the phone when it is raining, even if he pays the highest attention. As mobile instruments, phones are supposed to be used outside, brought wherever we go and in whatever condition and they therefore should be supposed to be projected in a way compatible with the usage they are made for. If they are not, it is clear, in my opinion, that the manifacturer responsability has to be called in.

2 point: I understand the will for the manifacturer not to replace phones that have been dropped in the water but, as for other customers, whose mails I read in this forum, my Nokia phone (N70) broke soon after I bought it in which time I used it exactly the way I did many other phones for years before; for some reason, problems with water only showed up with the N70. This obviously suggests to me that some Nokia models (like my N70) might be PARTICULARLY vulnerable to water damage, as compared to other phones, and that, of course, would increment manifacturer's responsability.

Now, I assume that the manifacturer will swear that this doesn't correspond to truth but of the two hypothesis one only can be true: either the problem is statistically insignificant and therefore it wouldn't be a big deal for the manifacturer to replace phones when occasionally it manifests, as it did for me. Or else, as I think more probable, the problem is such a big concern for the manifacturer that he must refuse replacement for economical reasons. But this brings me exactly the the hypothesis of eccessive vulnerability.

3 point; the manifacturer should be aware, that a customer like me, after what happened, will never buy a Nokia phone again in his life. Considering the life expectancy for my age (I'm in the thirties) and the years I will be using a mobile in the future, I am really not sure that NOKIA is making a good deal not replacing my waterdamaged phone even if that implies the risk of replacing the phone to someone who really dropped in the water, claiming he didn't at all.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Well since I started this thread, I thought I should reply.

Well what's happened since my phone was damaged from water- well I have now got an LG phone, which yes I can use in the rain and so far (touch Wood) no problems.

My suggestion to anyone else who reads this avoid the Nokia with like the Plague- there are more problems than it's worth. Unless of course you're an agro phobe in which case theres no chance of having your phone damaged by rain.

I see Nokia are still adopting this tactic- as it is hard to prove, and at the end of the day, they have made money of you.

I don't think I will ever buy a Nokia again- once bitten and all that.

Hope you have better luck than I did with sorting this out. But I don't think you'll get much help on here- some of these people are die hard Nokia fans and regard the any negativity as blasphamues (SP)
Please use plain text.
Professor
megadodo

I am involved with phone repair of many different manufactures and I can assure you that all makes of phone suffer from "liquid ingress" to many different degrees. Its funny how a lot of customers swear blind that there phones have never been anywhere near water/beer/tea/coffee/toilets etc. etc.yet when you open them up theres more corrosion in them than a 70s British Leyland car! Some designs are better at coping with rain than others but would you use a video camera in the rain without buying a special case/cover for it? I not saying for a moment that anybody using the phone in the rain shouldn't, but don't expect them to always survive the experince as there are many differnt routes for water into a phone. If you are going to need to use a phone in damp conditions a lot, buy one that's specifically designed for it.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I know exactly what you mean I have a nokia 6280 and I have it in a case and in my pocket at all times except when Im using it, but when I sent my phone off for repair guess what they said? water damage.
which I know is rubbish. I have spoke to sevaral of my friends and they have all said that none of their phones got repaired by 3G, because of what? you guessed it water damage! the funny thing is 3G cant wait to sign me up for another 12 months and give me a new phone, but if there phones are this prone to defect then why should I? oh and all my mates are not 3G customers anymore lol. Just for the record my friend who repairs phones for a living said that it was not water damage and has fixed my phone.
Please use plain text.

water damage / liquid ingress .. hmm i was a victim of this... had a ph in repair, only to find out that there were traces of water in my phone,,, hence warranty void!!.. but let me tell u something, i remember the day day i pulled out me phone from me pocket.. it was a very hot day mind u... hands and face were sweaty.. i'll have to admit that this would have caused it, however,i fought like a fool initially , to no avail.. look, if a warranty is Void.. it is void ..

this is my advise - use / treat ur mobile phone as a MOBILE PHONE ..it is delicate and complicated, dont use it the rain !! .. get some protection covers for it. would u use a video camera in the rain?.. would u use a laptop in the rain?...
Please use plain text.