Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

What does "Silent" in upper right of screen mean?

Contributor
worldly
Accepted Solution

What does "Silent" in upper right of screen mean?

For no apparent reason, my E63 started displaying "Silent" in small letters in the upper right corner of the screen. I did not change any of the tones. I cannot find anywhere what this notification refers to. The phone is excellent, but the user's manual leaves much to be desired for completeness. I'm a bit worried that something may be silent that I do not want to be. Could someone let me know what this notification refers to?

Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Re: What does "Silent" in upper right of screen mean?

Press red end key to see mode options.

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Contributor
worldly

Sorry to  be dense - when I press the red key, I see a list of things that includes "Silent". Is this what you are referring to? When I click on that, it says "Activated profile Silent" (what does that mean?). In the "Tools/Profiles" menu, under "Silent" it gives me the option to activate "Silent", whatever it is. So apparently "Silent" is not activated, but the notification in the corner of the screen still shows. Am I missing something?

Sage
OzRob

[ Edited ]

A profile is a collection of settings. Changing the profile changes the phone's settings, such as the ring tone and volume, or the message alert tone. The list of profiles you see when you click the red button are default profiles set up by Nokia to cover a variety of situations. For example the Outdoor profile has everything LOUD so you can hear it outdoors with background traffic noise. The Meeting profile changes the ringtone to a discrete beep so that you don't blast the meeting with some pop tune that you've set up in you General profile. The idea is that you can quickly change settings for particular situations by simply switching profiles. Go into a meeting - switch to the Meeting profile. Leave the meeting - switch back to the General profile. You switch profiles by clicking the red button and choosing the profile you want.

The Silent profile is as it says, a profile where the normal sounds aren't active. So the ring tone, message alert tone, etc. don't sound. It's meant to be used when you at the theatre or movie or the like. The ring vibration is still active, and you can see the message alerts when you look at the screen, but it won't interrupt the other patrons.

If your handset says Silent, but the sounds are still active, it's possible that you have accidentally modified the settings for the profile to enable the tones. Like all profiles, the Silent profile can be customised to your liking. The one neat thing about the Silent profile is that itcan be activated and deactivated via the # key shortcut, so it's easy to toggle on or off.

If I've helped you, you can thank me by clicking the green 'kudos' star on my post. Cheers.
Professor
shailendraraj

just go to 

menu>tools>profile>(scroll to)general>option>activate.

regards

http://shailendraraj.blogspot.com

if this helped click green star and follow blog

Contributor
worldly

Thanks for the info and the fix. :smileyhappy:

Sage
OzRob

No worries. If we have helped you, please click the kudos star on the relevant post.

If I've helped you, you can thank me by clicking the green 'kudos' star on my post. Cheers.