Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Which Symbian Belle phone to get?

Contributor
olee2

[ Edited ]

I have an N8 for more than a year now, and use it a lot for music.

I bought a Sandisk 64GB microSD card, and I love that huge music library in the phone.

I use the stock music player, it works for me.

Belle update is there, and recent N8 phones are sold with the Belle update.

I use a Nokia BH-905 stereo headset to listen to music and to run, it has excellent audio quality, beside the noise cancellation. It works also as an excellent noise cancelling microphone, too. It works both wired and via Bluetooth (via EDR). It is the most comfortable headphone I had, a full day is no problem. I also use it as hifi headphones at home.

http://symbianworld.org/2275-nokia-bh-905-review-a-symphony-of-sound-and-silence/

http://nokiatips.in/2012/02/26/nokia-bh-905i-walkthrough/

The BH-905  needs a plastic zip/cable zip reinforcement.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B002SUEYU2/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_3?ie=UTF8&i...

I also use an Etymotic ER-6i in ear earphone, which has very high audio quality, and the phone excels for me to drive these earphones.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/etymotic-er-6i-isolator-earphones-ipod/

Look at amazon.com for reviews.

Some applications you might want to try:

Moodagent - creates playlists based on different criteria (tempo, atmoshphere, etc.)

MusicBee (for the PC - ID tags need to be formatted in the ID2.3 format, than they display well on the phone with album art etc.)

Nokia Internet Radio

Shazam - to tag identify music on the go

Podcather

JoikuSpot 2012 Edition - to share the internet connection on your phone to the PC as wifi hotspot, works super well

I didn't expect, but the camera is so good on the N8, that I delayed my camera purchase since then. The real flash does make the difference.

Skype and Nokia Inernet Radio jusitfy the purchase of a 3G internet subscription for the phone. I Skype for hours with the phone (no video, only audio), and I use the Nokia Internet Radio to stream  internet radio into the car's audio. Usually with "Play via radio", but if the car has an AUX, also via cable.

For the car, the Nokia CR-122 car holder is cheap and excellent.

The Nokia AD-77 converter splits the Nokia headsets into mic+earphone jack connectors, cheap and useful.

The speakers on the N8 are mono, but of high quality, and powerful. Excellent for Podcasts in the kitchen or in the car.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Ok. So, when it comes to the best camera phone so far would you say the N8 is up there?

And what I meant earlier is will I be able to use/apply Dolby in my mp3 files whilst using a headphone?

Please use plain text.
Sage
bbnaco

I guess they meant Dolby is for use with home theatre systems and not headphones. Not sure though.

Best Screensnap is available and works well for taking screenshots.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Rups_Kumar

Ok,I will recommend you to go for Nokia 701 bcoz many good stuffs being lack in nokia 700.

Secondary camera(for video calling)

Smaller screen(3.2 inch)

No NFC(Today you may not need it too much but in future you might)

No Fm transmitter(an importand stuff,which is used by me a lot..mainly when i travel through taxis and all)

5 mp camera....Nokia 701 edof lense capture a very good picture compare to previous edof lense...this lense is like EDOF generation 2 lense...

As far as Nokia N8 is concern ill advise you to stay away from it if you dont only care for a good camera...

Maybe in this moment you are liking it bcoz of belle but in future you will be worried about carla and donna.

Bcoz of low processor and ram and GPU it cant handel future updates...Even in future apps will be optimised for higher hardwares so in future it might get lack in apps too.
If u want Best camera + Controversially best symbian smartphone ill recommend you Nokia 808 Pure view. 
Other wise go for Nokia 701. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
shamsi_boy

lol.the lacks autofocus which disables the user to take clear and detailed pictures of close objects.it also doesnt gives built in memory more than 8gb.it also doesnt gives good built quality.it is just a performance upgrade over n8.it doesnt even come with otg usb on the go cable.neither a true "XENON"" flash.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Rups_Kumar

[ Edited ]

Ya,Autofocus is a huge drawback for Nokia 701....
But still it can capture better close image than E7 and  N9 Carl Zeiss optics...
Ya,its strange but it is true....But you need to capture close images while 0% moving(almost)...(Search it on the net)

And Xenon flash is good for capturing Photos but not for videos...While Nokia 701's flash can better take videos at night... Aperture size of Nokia 701 is also average...
But you cant compare  N8 with any other Smartphone for capturing images ....

I and my Brother own-Nokia 701(mine only)

Nokia N 95,Nokia N96,Nokia N97,Lumina 710,Nokia 601,N8,Xperia Neo V(All my brother's)

He didnt buy Nokia 701 bcoz of Upcoming Nokia 808 Pv

My friendz(I phone 4s and all)

So,I experiment with all those mobiles in different situations..... 

On board memory we dont need any more....

Please use plain text.
Sage

shamsi_boy wrote:
please don't go for the C6 and X7.these phones have relatively low output quality(x7 has low screen pixel rate and C6 is relatively a low end smartphone).i think you are more indulged in camera features.since the 701 doesn't feature an auto-focus camera.choosing it would not be a good decision just because of 8MP title.even though it has the brightest smartphone screen in the world.if you want a relatively fast phone that fulfills your already mentioned requirements,you should really buy Nokia 700.on the other hand,if you really want a great camera experience with exceptional phone usage,you should go for the Nokia N8.n8 also features USB on the go along with a good quality and strong metallic body.

The Nokia 700 is TOO small. Especially typing on the portrait keyboard is horrible. The 701 has a 3.5" screen which is the sweetspot for nHD-resolution screens. Or wait untill the 808 arives it'll have a 4" screen with nHD resolution.

Please use plain text.
Sage

mechanimal82 wrote:

2. Support drag n drop of files via USB?

Both do.... the N8 also supports USB on the go, which means with the right cable you can read files from a memory stick on the phone.

The Nokia 701 also support USB on the go. Just the cable is optional (though you can use the one supplied with an N8)

Please use plain text.
Sage

shamsi_boy wrote:
lol.the lacks autofocus which disables the user to take clear and detailed pictures of close objects.it also doesnt gives built in memory more than 8gb.it also doesnt gives good built quality.it is just a performance upgrade over n8.it doesnt even come with otg usb on the go cable.neither a true "XENON"" flash.

What language is this?

The problem with smartphones is that they're very sensitive to motion blur. I have both N8 and 701. The N8 takes amazing close ups (enhanced by the blurred background o/t autofocus mechanism) but for generic photos (family, children, holidaysnaps etc) it's a hit and miss because of the sensitivity to motion blur. If you can hold your camera very still then it is the better option. Plus in darkness the xenon flash is amazing. If not then you'll love the EDoF camera's. Instant snapshots are a breeze.

If possible try both. And view the pictures taken on a PC. Then reduce size to manageble proportions and you'll see that the 701 isn't bad at all. For movies I think the 701 is the better option.

The N8 is IMHO the very best design from Nokia to date. And probably the last one too. It has a aluminum case with metal buttons. Even the Nokia logo enbedded in it looks and feels great. The N8 feels exclusive,

The 701 has a classic design. Using a mixture of good plastics and a metal backplate (which doubles as antenna for the FM-transmitter). It looks alot like the C7 though the C7 has a shiny (metal-like) rim around the screen while the 701 has a matte-plastic rim. It's less slippery which is probably the reason for this change. It feels and looks more expensive than it actually is but it's not an N8.

The advantages o/t 701 is faster cpu (1GHz vs 680MHz) and gpu, more RAM (512MB vs 256MB), C-drive is 3 times larger (about 600MB vs 200MB).

Beware however that the E-drive is 7GB not 8GB as advertised.

Both N8 and 701 can use microSD-cards to expand storage. N8 also has HDMI-out (probably with Dolby). Both phones have USBotG. N8 sounds louder but 701 sounds better on internal speaker. N8 speaker is easy covered (and then sound is gone) while 701 audio doesn't get easily muffled.

Bugs so far. Sometimes the phone resets while playing audio through FM-transmitter.

Please use plain text.
Sage
bbnaco

Manu_T wrote:

The problem with smartphones is that they're very sensitive to motion blur. I have both N8 and 701. The N8 takes amazing close ups (enhanced by the blurred background o/t autofocus mechanism) but for generic photos (family, children, holidaysnaps etc) it's a hit and miss because of the sensitivity to motion blur. If you can hold your camera very still then it is the better option. Plus in darkness the xenon flash is amazing. If not then you'll love the EDoF camera's. Instant snapshots are a breeze.

There is also the other thing about the subject being in motion like an active kid or a gesticulating arm. In a situation like that EDoF comes up with images that have blurred moving parts while with an autofocus you can half-press to focus and click at the exact moment you want to capture. In majority of cases this will result in a sharp picture. This method also works if the photographer is moving and object stationary say photos taken from a moving train.

I have a 5 MP Carl Zeiss Autofocus Nokia 6220 Classic and an 8 MP EDoF Nokia E6-00.

For all still photos I prefer the Autofocus. I rarely capture videos.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

My Ideal Nokia Symbian phone would be:

1. 3.5" screen or higher (preferablly scratch-resistent. viewing angles are not so much of an issue to me)

2. Symbian Belle OS availability with a possible future updates "secured" like Symbian Carla, etc.

3. Dolby Mobile for THE best sound/audio quality on MP3 files whilst using headphones (and not just via speakers or a home theatre system). if no Dolby then perhaps the second best Symbian music phone with the really good/excellent equalizer settings, customising an EQ and setting that EQ to MP3 files.

4. 8MP camera with autofocus, an EDoF feature, dual LED or a Xenon flash plus the usual geo-taggging, image stabilisation, good with night shots, fast shutter / in-between shots times, face+smile detection, etc.

5. 800Mhz Processor and 512MB RAM if possible (the fatser the better)

Based on the replies i got it would seem that the N8 is the closest candidate.

But what do you guys think? 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Rups_Kumar

[ Edited ]

Your ideal Nokia smartphone is very perfect :smileyhappy:
Now,Nokia 701 has all those qualities except autofocus and Xenon Flash.
Further Disadvantage of Nokia 701 is it has no HDMI output but it Has simple TV output.
Nokia 701 got 1.3 ghz Arm11 processor and 512 mb Ram.
Now if you really need autofocus and Xenon flash then you need to wait for Nokia 808 Pure view.
Nokia 808 Pure View will have both Xenon flash and Dual Led Flash.
41 Mp image sensor but not Edof Gen 2 lens.It will have carl zeiss lens which is far far better.
And it got all qualities as Nokia 701+HDMI output +Of course Autofocus.
Both Phones got Symbian OS future Update secure.
If your budget can afford Nokia 808 surely go for it otherwise Nokia 701.
Hope my Answere help you :smileyhappy:

N8 dont has 512 mb Ram(But 256 MB)
 N8 dont has 800 mhz processor clock speed(But 650 mhz Arm 11)
N8 dont has EDOF lense but better Carl zeiss lens
N8 dont has Future Symbian OS update secure.

N8 dont has 512 mb Ram(But 256 mb)
Nokia 000 series sound is better than N8 with head phone.

So simply Nokia 701 or Nokia 808 Pure View

Moderators note: removed speculative remarks on future OS updates. Under the forum guidelines these are not allowed.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

But, how about the part of the audio or music player?

Which one has & hasn't got Dolby? or one that has/hasn't got excellent equalizer settings, customisable EQs and ability to apply those EQ settings to MP3 files?

Please use plain text.
Sage
shamsi_boy

both have equalizer settings but im not quite sure about customisable settings.i think this isnt present in either of these.but n8 has dolby feature with surround 720p hdmi output
Please use plain text.
Sage
shamsi_boy

the music player of both phones is awesome.however,if you want a great sound experience,you should buy htc sensation XE.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Rups_Kumar

Both N8 and Nokia 701 has both Dloby support..
N8 has out of box support but Nokia 701 support dolby with Nokia Belle Fp 1 :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Sage

Manu_T wrote:

It looks alot like the C7 though the C7 has a shiny (metal-like) rim around the screen while the 701 has a matte-plastic rim.

I'll have to correct this. The 701 has a matte METAL rim around the screen. Only the bottom part is plastic. I presume the C7-00 also has a metal rimm around the screen.

Please use plain text.
Sage

gino_76ph wrote:

But, how about the part of the audio or music player?

Which one has & hasn't got Dolby? or one that has/hasn't got excellent equalizer settings, customisable EQs and ability to apply those EQ settings to MP3 files?

With Belle FP1 the 701 has Dolby headphones :-)

And it's amazingly fast and fluid. The very best Nokia smartphone at this moment. I love it.

Congrats Nokia for this phone. Cheap, fast, gorgeous and terific value for money.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

@gino_76ph
There is a dream phone.
I would recommend you to buy Nokia 808 pureview with 41 MP autofocus camera with Full HD video capture with excellent audio recording capability.
Ir has Dolby digital 5.1 for headphones and home theater and all that you mentioned, 4 inch AMOLED screen, NFC, HDMI, TV OUT and so on.

Watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8RHQC0eS_k

Hope this helps you. :smileyhappy:

-------------------If this post helped you, click on accept as solution.------------------
-----------------------------Appreciate by clicking on white star.----------------------------
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Monster999

well, totally agree with most of you- 808 is the best symbian phone and even one of the best overall( it requires 20/10 for mobile camera!).
I have a 603 and to tell you its superb. It has awesome sound quality, thanks to dolby headphones. The pictures have nice colour, and the screen is just good, with CBD and 1000nits brightness( much more than iphone or SGS3). Apps are no more than required, themes change the phones personality totally, the nokia ringtone, and good games.
I really like it and i am addicted to it though to tell you evrything in the phone can be tweaked to a higher level, i have some ideas regarding it in my mind. Can anybody tell where i can post them?
Please use plain text.