Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Why does my unlocked nokia 5800 work on telstr...

Registered Member
farmerpj

Why doesn't my unlocked nokia 5800 work on telstra gsm network but not telstra nextg?

I have just purchased a 2nd hand 5800 that is unlocked. It works fine on the Telstra GSM network, but not on NextG.  When I do a scan it shows the optus and vodaphone nextg networks, but no trace of telstra.  Is there anyway I can get Telstra NextG on my Nokia 5800 xpress music?

Thanks PJ

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: Why does my unlocked nokia 5800 work on telstra gsm network but not telstra nextg?

I'm assuming what you're calling "NextG" is in fact just 3G/UMTS.

Telstra use the 850MHz band for 3G. If your 5800 is not a NAM model then it won't work.

The International model only does 3G on the 900 and 2100 MHz bands and the Chinese model doesn't do 3G at all.

Type in *#0000# to get the software version of your phone. At the bottom of the screen you'll see:

Type
RM-xxx

The only one that will work on Telstra is RM-428

RM-356 is the international variant. RM-427 and RM-602 are Chinese variants with no 3G and no WiFi.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
farmerpj

Re: Why does my unlocked nokia 5800 work on telstra gsm network but not telstra nextg?

Thanks for that, you are exactly right. My 5800 version is RM-356.

I guess I should have done more research into it before buying it. I also should have mentioned that I'm in Australia and use the Telstra Australia network, and yes they call their 3G network "NextG".

Is there a solution to this? Cause I'm guessin this cant be solved with a simple software upgrade. Meanwhile I'll just keep using telstra gsm.

Thanks

PJ

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

No, it's definitely a hardware issue. The RM-356's hardware is not the same as that of the RM-428.

Unless you can sell off your 5800XM to someone on another network and get yourself a NAM version, you'll be stuck in GSM-land with no possibility of using 3G.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.