Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Will Symbian continue or not....

Counsellor
juhian

Will Symbian continue or not....

[ Edited ]

I sent a email to the customer support asking for thier opinion will keep u guys posted and see what they say about the future...

i would like to hear a yes but u never know....

======================

Hi,
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. i am owner of the N series phones N8/5800XM/N82 and E71.
I am loving all the phones for the OS durability .

I like the Symbian/Belle OS and also love the releasing of Nokia 808 but the question everyone seems to have is

the signals that the company is sending out is not clear on one hand 808 is launched and on the other hand there are talks about letting go symbian /Belle.

Please let me know if i buy 808 price doesnt matter will Nokia support Belle. Please come out with a press release and make people more comfortable. so that we can invest in the great piece of hardware with a rugged software.. Belle is evolving and we love it. Please show some committment to the people who invest money in your products.

Also please have marketing like others do and market your products the golden days of product sell themselves doesnt work any more. Please wake up and make us all feel better

===============================

KR
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
pavilion_alex

Symbian will be supported until around 2016
Greece Nokia X6 RM-559 v40.0.002
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
juhian

in that case why is nokia launching new symbian Belle products...why would someone buy a product which they know is going to be phased out.. not sure i understand business sense in this decision.... instead they could have launched the same phone with windows OS...

at least would have made a lasting impact that nokia was commited to Windows...

KR
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
juhian

Response from Nokia below this is good news

===============

Dear Mr. Raghavendran,

Thank you for emailing the Nokia USA Careline.

We would like to let you know that the Nokia 808 supports Nokia Belle Feature Pack 1. In line with this, please be advised that we will continue to support Nokia Belle devices since Nokia Belle is currently the latest available software version for some supported devices.

===================================

KR
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

juhian wrote:

===============

Dear Mr. Raghavendran,

We would like to let you know that the Nokia 808 supports Nokia Belle Feature Pack 1. In line with this, please be advised that we will continue to support Nokia Belle devices since Nokia Belle is currently the latest available software version for some supported devices.

And as pavillion_alex correctly said, Symbian will be supported until 2016. The Nokia rep who responded to your email has omitted this fact which is dodging the question entirely. 

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
trojenn

rayhipkiss wrote:

juhian wrote:

===============

Dear Mr. Raghavendran,

And as pavillion_alex correctly said, Symbian will be supported until 2016. The Nokia rep who responded to your email has omitted this fact which is dodging the question entirely. 

Ray. 

May be it means symbian support will end in 2016 for all other versions except Belle. Note that they named it Nokia Belle not Symbian belle though technically belle is an offshoot of Symbian. So this could be an indication that Belle will not die with other versions of symbian.

--- Nokia N8......I'm lovin it...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

No, Belle will die with the rest of Symbian. The name change from Symbian Belle to Nokia Belle was just that, a name change and nothing else.

Anyway, 2016 is a long way off and you never know.what Nokia might do with Symbian before then.

Ray.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
trojenn

Well one could call me a hopeless optimist but what if belle do well in market? If Belle becomes popular in near future then why nokia will dispose it off, just after few years of creating it? Isn't it a waste of time and resources?. Also what other variety Nokia has to offer other than belle and Windows in modern OSs. My theory is that Nokia is playing wait n watch game on Belle and all depends upon how it fares in market.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
juhian

Hi,

I will write and get you guys a update.

Regards

K.R

KR
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
juhian

[ Edited ]

Based on this i think it is not worth buying another sybmian phone as the Management is trying things at our cost and selling them in US market as windows phone...

If we have Belle why cant they let it live.. Why do we care about US market if other growing markets can help to maintain leadership.

Is the world becoming US centric

http://www.pcworld.com/article/251255/nokias_pureview_camera_bound_for_windows_phones.html

i am not happy not sure about others...

KR
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lbanias

I really don't understand you, kids ! I only read the title, never needed to read the posts here. What if tommorow symbian is stopping development, do you think that it will act like a plague, all the symbian phones will suddently stop working? We have a 95% working operating system, which at least in terms of telephony is doing the right thing. With this behaviour you only show your frustration to android and IOS fans . just buy other OS if you're not happy with symbian, don't complain anymore !
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
juhian

Lbanias,

if we had to buy IOS or Driod or WP phone we wouldnt be posting in the forum. the intent is everyone supports Belle and lets it rule.

it is the most mature os with lots of features. and the company or management is hell bent upon killing the OS .. The Belle release was a step in the right direction not sure why would they want a WP when Belle can deliver can you share your thoughts...

If you buy a car or electronic and know it will not be supported would you want to buy it...

Regards

K.R

KR
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
juhian

Hi ,

Update from Nokia

No support after 2016, can someone drive some sense into the management dont launch more symbian products at least concetrate on WP... Hope someday someone realises symbian was a great OS....

why do you think people will still buy them ? unless someone gives it to you  for free....

=========================================

Dear Mr. Raghavendran,

We would like to let you know that the Nokia Belle is an updated version of Symbian platform (Operating System) and not a different software or OS. In line with this, please be advised that there will be more updates in Nokia Symbian devices as the software support to Symbian would last until 2016.

===========================================

Regards

K.R

KR
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I can't say what anyone else "should" do, but I easily can say what I did.  I had a N8 and really enjoy it.  I think it's the best phone one can buy.  After reading all the "nonsense" about Nokia and Windows, I gave up on Nokia, and bought a second N8 so I'd have my own "solution" to mobile phones even if Nokia vanishes while becoming Windofied.  I figure two N8 phones will last me another few years at least.

My first N8 is still on Anna.  My "spare" N8 (which became a phone for trying things out) now has Belle, but until when/if Nokia fixes the issues with Belle, my original phone is going to stay just like it is, running Anna.

I've got zero desire to go with iphones, and the more I learn about Android, the less I want one of them   To me, the N8 was ideal - like a computer that can also make phone calls.  It wasn't crippled yet by the limitations of Belle, and there's nothing else on the market that can compete with it.

Anyway, for my answer to this thread, yeah, stick with the N8 for now regardless of what happens, even if you "know" that in 2016 it will be a dead-end.  That's four years away, and today's Android and Apple devices will be just as dead four years from now.  Anyway, that's if you like a phone as useful as a N8.  For someone not wanting to deal with all the capability, Windows or iphone is probably a better way to go.  .....but eventually you'll be missing so many of the things an N8 is capable of doing!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
juhian

Hi Agreed,

I have N8/5800XM/N82/E71X all of these i know they last for a liife time but if there is a issue or i need some new feature say 41mp camera than what do i do.... ?

buy 808 or can N8/5800 deliver that ?....

if i wanted other os i wouldnt be crying/screaming out loud here..

KR
Please use plain text.
Advisor
trojenn

I don't think Nokia 808 is going to be as popular as N8. It is more advanced but not as unique as N8.To me it appears like apple iphone from front view (except keys). Its hard to find a logic that why it is relesed with Belle(may be its camera applications work better on it than windows).

N8 was released 2 years ago and still continue to delight most of the users and its not only because of the camera. Nokia 808 with Belle sp1 is not a deal breaker but is it a game changer?

Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

trojenn wrote:

I don't think Nokia 808 is going to be as popular as N8. It is more advanced but not as unique as N8.To me it appears like apple iphone from front view (except keys). Its hard to find a logic that why it is relesed with Belle(may be its camera applications work better on it than windows).

N8 was released 2 years ago and still continue to delight most of the users and its not only because of the camera. Nokia 808 with Belle sp1 is not a deal breaker but is it a game changer?

Hi trojenn

808 has been released on Symbian because it's a 5y project and WP wasn't there at that time and you're right about the camera being better supported on Symbian than WP; this last will support this tech with Apollo and on but will start experimenting with Tango.

The Whole 808 PV thing is a profitable experiment and all the feedback (and revenues) will be used in further WP8 developing; just like N9 was previous to the Lumia WP launch, so I have no hopes, for now, that 808 could be a game changer. The future of Symbian depends strictly on the Nokia WP's success; both, Symbian's support and WP's contract expires on 2016 so we will see until then.

I have a Nokia N8 too and love it btw. I posted some thoughts about this N8's succesor thing and I'll paste it here:

"I have a Nokia N8 and have been watching Nokia's new 808 and have some thoughts about it.

I, as a N8 user should feel the 808 is a great successor of my phone but actually I don't feel that. At first I was amazed with the 41mp but now, and looking the overall device specs and design I think that somehow we're looking at a monstrous lab-rat escaped from the lab.

I cannot accept that fast as a replacement for my N8 that "superpowered" brick; when I look at my N8 I see beautiful industrial design and now, with Belle inside it's even better than when I first bought it; when I look at the 808 I see a 5 year old industrial design with better specs but not the best it should have, that'll give it a short live, or at least a short reign.

It feels like this is some kind of cruel and frick experiment with symbian users with the only goal to acquire experience for future developing of WPs."

And ended my thoughts in the next post with this one:

"Just to add something else to my previous post:

It's like the 808 takes the throne left by the N8 by force but not by right."

Here's the link if you want to see it; they are messages 60 and 61:

/t5/Software-Updates/Nokia-Belle-Widgets/td-p/1306861/page/3

Best Regards.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

lbanias wrote:
I really don't understand you, kids ! I only read the title, never needed to read the posts here. What if tommorow symbian is stopping development, do you think that it will act like a plague, all the symbian phones will suddently stop working? We have a 95% working operating system, which at least in terms of telephony is doing the right thing. With this behaviour you only show your frustration to android and IOS fans . just buy other OS if you're not happy with symbian, don't complain anymore !

How can you possibly comment here if you haven't read any of the posts?

Nobody is complaining about Symbian, rather they are asking for how long it will continue to be supported, precisely because they are happy with Symbian and don't want to migrate to another OS. 

What people are unhappy about is Nokia discontinuing support for Symbian and focusing all their efforts onto WPOS.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
trojenn

Hi noki2000.. thanks for sharing info.. some interesting thoughts coming from u about N808.

@rayhipkiss.. me too is concerned with nokia's efforts with development of symbian platform.

Lately nokia riding high on windows has planned to launch more cheaper lumia models to compete in entry level smartphones segment currently dominated by samsung.  S. Galaxy Y 5360 in top of the tables in India, offering capacitive touch screen, android v 2.3, 3g 7mbps and all the latest apps, priced in same range as Nokia 5233 (resistative touch screen, no 3g) and Nokia asha 300. This segment is totally dominated by samsung and now nokia wants to get into this stream with Lumia with same kind of specs. While this can proove to be good stratgey however nokia should have done a bit more with belle phones in this line.

Nokia should do more justice with its own brain child than boasting upon window platform. Even if wp achieve good success still nokia will be insecure as microsoft also provides os to samsung. A home grown kid is always reliable than an outsider.

Please use plain text.