Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: X6 16GB black Screen of Death

Professor
bazyeo

X6 16GB black Screen of Death

Just got a problem with my X6. When I switch it on the phone vibrates and the three lights at the bottom of the phone come on. ( the call, menu and end keys). But the screen stays black. I try pressing the power button but nothing. Take out the battery and leave it out for a while then but it back in. Press the power button, phone vibrates, the three lights come on but the screen stays black. I have not yet tried the four finger reset method although I guess I might have to.

Anyone got any ideas what the problem might be.

Jimmyireland or steve_p any ideas.

After the phone vibrates the screen stays black and the power button does not work. Have to take out the battery to switch it off.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

If you press the power button again before removing the battery does it vibrate each time you press it?

If you connect the phone to a pc then power it on does the computer react to the phone, for example shows the mass memory contents or tries (and fails) to install drivers?
Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

@psychomania: Thanks for the reply.

No. When I press the power button nothing happens. Does not vibrate and will not switch off. Just nothing only the three lights on at the bottom. Have not tried connecting to my computer, so will try that a little later when I have more time.

I guess if I take it to a Nokia Care Point they will tell me the usual story that it has water ingress which I no it has not. and they will tell me it is not covered by warranty. But that story does not wash here in Australia.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

It's a good sign that it doesn't vibrate again, that would have suggested one of the battery contacts was lose. Had that happen to me last month, sent it off for repair just to get it retuned unrepaired as physical damage. Did however manage to get it sorted and replaced under warranty thanks to a friend.

With your problem there is a chance it will come alive when connected to usb, also try it without the sim card in.

I do believe the four finger reset will sort it, but do understand thats a last resort option.
Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

Thanks for your reply and advice. I will check the battery pins just in case one is loose. Also I will connect it to my computer and see what happens. The four finger salute is the last resort if everything else fails. I am not going well at the moment. I also have an hp iPaq Pocket PC which appears to have died. It just will not charge. And the problem is not with the batteries or charger or the adapter plug. I think that is consigned to the grave. Worse luck it was a great device. Now the phone. What next.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

I've had tech-hell days like that too, usually with xbox 360's :smileyvery-happy:

Let us know how you get on.
Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

Thanks for your help. I think that deserves a kudo.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
steve_p

Hi Bazyeo,

Sorry to hear your X6 is unwell :smileysad: and apologies for not replying sooner, work is extremely hectic at the moment. I'm sure I've read others post here about this issue where the phone refuses to start with just the 3 bottom keys remaining lit. I can't remember where I read those posts though :smileysad: Doh.

The only thing I can suggest is to try the temporary fix for the classic white screen of death, it's a long shot but worth a try before you perform the 4 finger reset. At least you'll be able to backup data before performing the reset. WSOD temporary fix method is as follows:

- Switch phone off (or pull battery out and put back in)

- plug in the phone charger, as soon as the screen lights up pull the charger pin out of the phone.

- when the screen goes black switch on the phone

- plug the charger back into the phone when you feel the start-up vibration

- phone should start instead of hang

Good luck, hope it works for you.

S.

P.S. I'll be away from the internet for the bulk of tomorrow :smileysad: So won't be able to answer any more questions as promptly as I would like.

History: Motorola MR30, Nokia: 7110, 7650, N70, N80, N82, X6 (32GB), Samsung Galaxy SII

Current: Samsung Galaxy Note3 Black

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
steve_p

Nothing worked then to coax the phone back to life? I hope the closest Nokia Care Centre isn't too far away.

Good luck.

S.

History: Motorola MR30, Nokia: 7110, 7650, N70, N80, N82, X6 (32GB), Samsung Galaxy SII

Current: Samsung Galaxy Note3 Black

Please use plain text.
Advisor
muirio

Hi Bazyeo,

You might remember replying on a thread I wrote a few days back whingeing about the X6 - I seem to remember you claiming your X6 build quality was rock solid?! Yup, well, enough said.

Anyway, I had EXACTLY the same problem you are describing with my first X6. Lights and vibrate would work a bit, but no screen activity. After a few hours of trying to turn it on, I wouldn't even get the three lights + vibrate, the phone was literally dead (battery was OK before you say).

Software reset did nothing, so my Care point sent it off for inspection to Nokia's outsourcing repairer, which came back B.E.R (beyond economic repair), citing 'physical damage' to one of the three battery connecters, which apparently was my fault (yeah, right...) so they wouldn't fix it.

In the end I had to phone up the Nokia Care phone line, plead with them for a second opinion, which they agreed to in the end. They sent me freepost labels etc and sent the phone off with a strongly worded letter outlining all the problems I'd had and how I was a loyal customer etc. etc. blah blah...the next week I got a nice parcel from Fedex with a brand new X6 in it!

My advice would be to follow the standard repair procedure (i.e. take to Care point for full reset, then sending off to Regenersis for inspection) after which if you have no luck a call to the Care line & a decent letter seems to do the trick.

Good luck,

muirio.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

@steve_p: Have had a few health problems of late so have not done anything about my phone. Nearest care point is about 15 kilometres away so won't be making a special trip. In the mean time I am using my trusty 6260 flip phone which I think is about 6 years old now but still works fine.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

@muirio: Thanks for the info. Here in Australia we have pretty good consumer protection laws, so if the Nokia Care Point won't repair it under warranty it will be straight to my local Office of Consumer and Business Affairs and also the Australian Competition and Consumer Affairs Office. So I am not particularly worried.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dr_Jackie

Hi all,

I have this problem, too. I think this is one of nokia faults. I think it is because of attaching phone to computer via USB not installing software.

Charger tip didn't worked for me and I can't Hard reset (with keys Green+Red+Camera) my phone everytime because all of my data is lost.

Maybe a software upgrade is necessary. How can we force Nokia to fix this problem?

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

I do not know why Nokia do not put a reset hole on their phones like there is on Windows mobile devices. All of my winmo devices have a reset hole and when the device plays up all I do is insert the stylus or a pin into the hole and press the switch inside and hey presto the phone resets. Solves most problems with the device and you do not lose anything. This feature has been on winmo devices for at least the last ten years or more. I think it is about time the management at Nokia came out from the dim dark ages and got with it. I can see Nokia continuing to lose market share because their phones are getting left behind by the competition and quite frankly are just not good enough. There seems to have been a great deal of complacency at Nokia over the past few years and the chickens are now coming home to roost.

The new CEO who starts next week will certainly have his work cut out trying to turn this company around. I do not like his chances.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kristen1586

Hi all,

I'm having this problem also. It happened a couple of times over the last month, but by flicking my screen guard on and off (several times) I was able to make it come back to life.

This time no joy with that solution. I took it to the care centre but they are giving me the usual story, physical damage. I wondered how those who got it replaced where able to do so?

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

I did not do anything about my X6 as I have not been well for some weeks. Have had a very bad debilitating virus which I just cannot get rid of. Could not be bothered going to NCP as it is around 15 km's away. As I paid cash for this phone I should have taken it into the phone shop I bought it from but was in no mood to do so. So I removed the battery and sim card from the phone and left the battery out for a couple of weeks or so. Put the sim card into my trusty 6260 and used that. Then over this last weekend I put the sim and battery back into the X6 and pressed the power button. To my surprise the Nokia handshake screen came up and then the screen for my password. Then I was asked to insert the correct date and time which I did not do. Left the date at March 2010 and time as 9.00. Pressed the ok button on each screen. To my surprise not only did the home screen come up but a couple of seconds later the date and time changed to the correct date and time. I have my phone set update the time and date automatically.

It is no wonder people call these gadgets as "FRED". Flipping ridiculous electronic device.

I have absolutely no idea what was wrong with it or why it fixed itself.

So there you go.

Please use plain text.
Sld19

[ Edited ]

Hi psychomania,

It's exactly my case. My X6 vibrates each time I press power button, and PC reacts on attached device. Is there any way to solve this?

The problem started from "No Sim" error message and then after several restarts I can't turn it on.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
caesun

[ Edited ]

The same problem.  Mine even did not  come on with three lights, only vibration.

After countless times of testing of switching on/off, formating memory, flashing rom, I finally found that my problem is due to bad contact with battery metal PIN  and the one on phone body.

cheers! 

Moderator note: Information how to modify Nokia devices moderated. Any information on how to modify Nokia devices, which could void warranty, should not be shared on this forum.

Please use plain text.