Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: angry with mail setup

Counsellor

angry with mail setup

with an e90, i could setup mail so i could retrieve mail from my mailbox, and at that moment, it would ask me my password, whithout storing it in the phone; later i replaced it with an e7. there is a mail setup, and a message that says that my information could be sent to nokia.. why nokia dos it need my login data, for a mail account that does have nothing to do with nokia, and that does not use nokia servers at all?.. so anyway, lets try to setup a mail box: it asks me the mail address, so ok, here is the mail address.. then the password.. so no way to store all data but the password and ask the password only when i want to retrieve my mail?.. hmm.. ahh, but the e90 could synchronize mail data with outlook, so if i connect to the pc, it would retrieve the mail setup via ovi suite right?.. hmm.. nope, just the contacts, but no mailbox setup.. so it seems the only way would be to enter the data ny hand, but it will ask me for my password (with no option to ask it only when i want to retrieve mail, it seems) and it tells me that it will send to nokia some stuff that does have nothing to do with nokia, and that nokia should not care about...

Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

don't know if i understood you right, but let's see:

1. only MFE syncs email, contacts and calendar. if you use MFE, syncing with desktop like outlook will cause problems like duplication.

2. you need to give your data to nokia only if you use their push email service. if you decline T&C, you can set up a normal IMAP account. but alas, hotmail does not have IMAP.

3. you can however use outlook-device sync and sync only notes, or any other application you want to sync.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi, tnx for your answer, im not sure what you mean by mfe though, also, the e90 is an old model and i dont remember exactly how was the mail setup but i think it was that when i set the login for a mailbox in outlook, then sych-ed the device with the o vi suite, the new mailbox setup would also appear on the e90.. The thing is, i.ve had the e7 for some time now, i have not used it for mail, but i was able to read mail with the e90 and i wamt to be able to read mail withthis one. I want to use a custom pop mail, no gmail or yahoo, the mail wizard first asks for a mail address then for the password, i do not want it to store the password, neither tjat it tries to retrieve mail every time it feels there is a connection, even if is insecure. Also, the setup wizard says it may send login data to nokia, it does not say if i intend to use nokia push, they may keep stats to see which services are popular or somethimg lile that, or maybe not, but i have no way to know. Writting from my e7.. Miss the keyboard of the e90
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pellicle

[ Edited ]

MfE = Mail for Exchange. You can google this and find the setups. For instance http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=4976180749a2ce3c&hl=en

but as metal_might says:

1. only MFE syncs email, contacts and calendar....

2. you need to give your data to nokia only if you use their push email service. if you decline T&C,

however on this point: "you can set up a normal IMAP account. but alas, hotmail does not have IMAP." I think it does. I got it working on my E62 at some point recently

but no matter, the connection will just drop off because of Nokias stupid decision to mung their IMAP and get you to hand over your credentials to them and use their service to dish out your service for you.

I'm still looking for a reasonable explanation for that decision (please note the word reasonable in there)

Please use plain text.