Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: erased contacts when updating N8 to Belle

hamahakki

erased contacts when updating N8 to Belle

Hi everybody! I really hope some of you can help me! I have updated my Nokia N8 to Nokia Belle with Nokia Updater for Mac but I cannot find contacts, sms and notes. All disappeared and unfortunately I don't have a backup. It is urgent and important. At the end of the update it was asking me if I wanted to import contacts from another Nokia phone, but as it wasn't the case, I bypassed that option. Surely I did something wrong but I really do hope that contacts, notes and sms are saved somewhere on my Mac. Can anybody help me, please?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Surely you did something wrong..and that is not taking the back-up.. Wish there was any solution to this..but think you have lost them...

Please use plain text.
hamahakki

ok! I understand that I did something wrong but, as it was no interruption during the process and the phone work properly with Belle, I am just asking if by any chance the contacts are soemwhere on my desktop and if there is any way to restore them.Thanks again to everybody who will help!!
Please use plain text.
Professor
vvaino

Hei @hamahakki,

I am not a imac user, but anyway...

With windows Nokia Suite did a backup of your N8 automaticly, so you could

try to restore them back. Just reconnect your phone with the cable you have. It

should not be difficult to find restore-option in imac.

-vvaino

#SwitchToLumia
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

[ Edited ]

Have you never taken a backup on your contacts before?

Perhaps you have taken backup before over the air by connecting to your nokia account with the phone...

I am not familiar with mac but in case you have your contacts in a mail application there must be a way to restore them to your phone.

Start using Funambol further on is an alternative anyhow...or the email clients Thunderbird or Outlook 2010 or even open up a live account on live.com. best way to have contacts is to have them stored on a pc I think and edit the contacts from that platform..but even Office 365 is a extremely nice way to have full controll of thing such us several computers or handsets. 6 dollars a month or something like that...worth every penny, but I know some people disagree on that. I dont have the time to hassle with backups and all other syncs of notes, todo, calender, especially when using a couple of devices and phones..

https://my.funambol.com/c/portal/layout?p_l_id=default

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/online-software.aspx#fbid=b76j1M4Bih3

I dont have a clue why people insists on having their contacts just on a phone and not in a cloud service....

Sooner or later the contacts will vanish, the phone get stolen or broken or malhandling of the user...

I hope you get a solution and that you have contacts stored somewhere.

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
nickia

Excactly the same happened to me! Did everything i was asked to do...also bypassed the import question cause i only have one phone...and wooops...when my phone restarted my contacts were gone. Well, strangely i have 2 of my contacts left  for some reason.... And i fortunately have all my sms's, and therefore have most of my numbers there. And everything else is also there. So this seems like a similar problem with a  twist. For me it seems like a bug of some sort. And didn.t the updater take an automatic back-up? I remember it mentioned files were stored in the E:internal memory. And strangely when a "deleted" friend called today her name appeared on my screen.....so obviously the numbers must be stored somewhere on the phone - looked into the file app at E: but so far no luck tho.

Please use plain text.
nickia

Hi again! By accident i found a solution about the missing contacts! At least it solved the mystery for me. Having problem with adjusting the light i was a bit fed-up and choosed to do it the simple way hoping for the better. Wich was:

Settings - phone - phone management -  factory settings - and restore.....

....and woops!....when everything started again, all my contact were back!!:smileyhappy: As simple as that. And the light setting fixed too. And as a gesture from Nokia all my contacts came up twice - just to be sure:smileyhappy:

Hope this will help both you Hamahakki and others that are struggling with a somewhat buggy update. 

Cheers!:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
murkel

Here is a solution that worked for me.

1. Go to "contacts"

2. Hit the "options" tab - the three horizontal bars

3. Hit "settings"

4. Hit "contacts to display"

5. Ensure there is a tick next to both the "phone memory" and "sim memory" options.

6. Once the ticks are in both the blocks hit "ok" and then back.

It seems that my contacts were saved to the sim card, but the phone was set to only show contacts stored on the phone, simple solution in the end, hope this helps some others.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jagatsingh_3

if you have spend money on weak n8 instead you should buy n86-8mp it will give you good results from n8
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
merleymoo

Thanks so much for this reply, I stressing out!!
Please use plain text.