Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

hard reset E7

Mobile Sensei
carman58

hard reset E7

hi .just a quick post to let people know that the *#7370# reset works fine on the E7 , however , unlike S60 phones it completely wipes both C and E and as a result you lose everything on the handset except the OS which means setting up the phone from scratch , no music, photo's or data is left on the mass memory as it was in the older handsets . It will solve most problems and give you a completely fresh phone but requires more work and time. I wlould recommend you use it ONLY as a last resort !

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

Re: hard reset E7

That is very much unlike Symbian, I think it has to do with the Symbian3 itself as S60v5 devices didn't have this behaviour. Glad it ended well for you, I must, here after, rethink once or twice before uninstalling anything from E7.

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

the other strange thing Kriz is it doesn't ask for a pass code ! Just tells you it will wipe phone and you either accept or decline ! Phone is and was fine it was just that I wanted to try some QT apps and couldn't install it , had I realised I may have decided to live without 4.7.2 ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

That's one other thing to be aware of. I'm waiting for a stable Qt4.7.2 release in order to avoid any disaster.

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

It wasn't really a disaster Kriz , I only removed Bubbles to check battery usageand after the reset installed QT 4.7.2 again and Bubbles without a problem, all I can think is that some file got corrupted when I removed Bubbles ? It's all working fine now, I would just think twice about doing a reset in the future, not because of anything other than the additional work of restoring all my media again, suppose that's one negative I've found comparing S60 to Symbian^3 !! On the upside, I very much doubt I will have to reset the E7 again as it's very stable :smileyhappy: Having said that, a Japanese Nuclear Reactor is very stable compared to the N97 ??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

My E7 is acting upon me recently. It fell on the snow once and I wiped all moisture immediately, now the phone is restarting often and the charging notification LED blinks three or four times and goes off when the charger is connected. The phone is dead, is there any hard reset key combination for E7 to get it back on?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

I believe the same hard reset key sequence that works on the N8 also works on the E7.

I know the procedure isn't recommended due to the other issues it introduces but it looks like it's your only option if it is dead. The behaviour you've described on here (and on twitter) point towards it being a moisture related problem. The best option now could be to leave the phone powered off in a tub of uncooked rice in a warm place for a day or so and see if it works again.

More info about drying here:

/t5/Pool-of-Knowledge/Dropped-your-phone-in-water-Here-s-what-to-do-next/td-p/380349

Please use plain text.
Freya12345

Pressing volume down + camera key + menu key and pressing power button - to hard reset your Nokia Symbian^3 device. BUt it is not advised to do since it will wipe off your Ovi and some other apps, which cannot be restored.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

I'm afraid I need to do that. I'm in a hill station now need to wait till next morning for the sun to be out and then talk to the hotel cook for some uncooked rice LOL...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

i did hard reset did not delete maps

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

@jimmyireland, are you referring to Ovi maps application or Geopgraphical map data ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

What?

When I did the hard reset (4 button press) I lost both Ovi store and Maps. Luckily I had the maps sis file. Ovi store couldn't install because essential QT related stuff was damaged or removed.
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

ok warmed it up and phone switched on. USB icon keeps blinking and for every few seconds it says 'connect usb device' and then it says 'error in USB connection disconnect USB device' now my doubt is the USB port working? when I connect the charger the charging led blinks for sometime and glows. No idea what'a going on. Any ideas...

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

@krizanand

For what it is worth, the very first time I charged my E7 (the battery was almost flat) the charging light blinked several time and then when solid and remained on until fully charged. On subsequent charges it does not blink but comes on and stays on.

Also had some problem with my E7 and had to hold the power button down for a period of time till it vibrated several times to get it to work. As a result I lost all my photo's, video clips, maps as well as the maps app and a lot of data as well. Because it was a brand new phone (only had it one day) I had not backed it up. Big mistake. When I bougt my N8 the first thing I did after checking it out to see that it was a. working and b. unbranded and no access points preinstalled etc.,  I backed up the phone. Did not do that with the E7 and now I am paying the price. According to File Manager the free C: Phone memory is 349.3 MB and free E: Mass memory is 14.3GB. I cannot remember what it was originally but I think it was less than that.

Also be carefull doing a *#7780#. Nokia Aust Call Centre got me to do that before I took it into my local NCP and I lost all the wallpaper again. The girl at Nokia said it should not do that and then said you will have to reinstall it. A bit hard when you have lost all the photo's that were on the phone. I must say the E7 is a very frustrating device. Maybe an N97 all over again.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

@bazyeo Until this problem came the charging LED would never blink, fact I came to know now that it can even blink because I've never seen that doing it. Even tried the 8sec revival procedure and didn't lose any data.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
edgarloxton

I have had my E7 for three days. This morning it froze. It restarted when I powered it off and back on, but the main home screen loaded partially only, and the phone became unresponsive. I can still get into the menus and move around, and even execute some of the applications and settings, but phone cannot connect to network (wifi and cell), home screen is unresponsive. Looks to me like it may be caused by F-Secure, but phone won't run F-Secure so cannot disable it. Also cannot uninstall it as the phone hangs when loading the application manager. Cannot do the factory settings reset via the Settings menu as the phone says must first clear all connections, except there are no connections active when looking in connection manager. Cannot do the hard reset via #7370# as cannot access the phone application as cannot press Call on the home screen. Tried the 4 button hard reset also, which restarts the phone without resetting it. Any advice will be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

If the hard reset from off using the four key combination won't work, there is little you can do, you need a Nokia care point. If you can access the dialer, either by screen or keyboard you should be able to use *#7370# and also set profile to 'offline', if not you need expert help, return the phone for repair/replacement !

Good Luck

Please use plain text.
Contributor
edgarloxton

How do I access the dialer using the keyboard?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Slide open the phone and start typing ! It will open dialer and you can enter the required code !

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
starskin

That is very strange. I have done hard reset on the E7 and Ovi Map installation was unaffected. Only my map data files on the Mass Memory were deleted. They can be easily downloaded again.

Although initially, Ovi Store may refuse to install after first reboot post hard reset, just soft reset and then use the Software Update function to scan for changes. Ovi Store download will appear and install with no problems.

Although you lose the golf and galaxy games and the license for the Tron trailers and Dolby digital demo video, the E7 is definitely more responsive post hard reset. Also solves the 'Memory in use' error when transfering data.

Just don't forget to back up your personal files and the wallpapers first!
Please use plain text.