Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

how to fuly hard reset/format n97?

how to fuly hard reset/format n97?

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO COPLETE RESET LIKE 580 PRESS GREN+CAMERA BUTON N POWER BUTON?I TRIED PREESING 7370 AND 7870ALSO NOT FULY FORMAT. ANYONW KNOW HOW TO?
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: how to fuly hard reset/format n97?

[ Edited ]
You obviously need it since your keypad seems to be locked on all caps...

They may not be a hard reset key combo yet for the N97. There wasn't one for the 5800XM until firmware V20, for example.
Message Edited by grschinon on 11-Jun-2009 02:49 PM

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Sage
bbianchi

My phone is totally bricked right now... did it on its own even. Cant get it to work enough to get to the dialpad to come up... I REALLY need a button combo to exist :smileysad:
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Try the key combo that works on the 5800 (another S60v5 touch screen phone).

Switch off.

Press simultaneously the green and red buttons on the front and the camera button on the side.

Keep these keys pressed down and switch the phone on. Still keep them pressed down until you see signs of life on the screen such as the handshake logo or the region selection screen.

If that doesn't work then I'm afraid your only option will be to take the phone to your nearest Nokia Care Point to have them reset it.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Sage
bbianchi

Drat, that doesnt work either :smileysad:. Plus there are no close Nokia points here... I mean id guess in San Francisco there is one but its two hours with no traffic one way.
Contributor

*#7370# (*#res_#) does a hard-reset to your phone.

Sage
bbianchi

While I am sure this does work great, you need the keypad to actually come up on the phone to use it. My phone will not allow me to get to the keypad.
Counsellor

bbianchi

did you try to use the keyboard

Sage
bbianchi

Yes, I turned it on too when I tried all this. Seriously c'mon now.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

C'mon people. Try reading the question before offering solutions. The OP clearly said: "Cant[sic] get it to work enough to get to the dialpad to come up"

Sage
bbianchi

I havent tried this but just got it via email support:

1. Power off your phone
2. You will need to hold down the 3 key, * key, the send key and the power button while powering the phone on

bbianchi, your tip worked for me. I held the 3 and the star (*), without the send - I couldnt reach it and the phone booted up. It started normally - didn;t give me the option to hard reset. but I did it with the code - couldnt risk it.

Also if your N97 is freezing at the beggining you might want to wait awhile, cause it boots slowly. This wasn my case though - I waited for 3 hours :smileysad:

Sage
bbianchi

This is all I get when I turn it on:

http://gallery.me.com/n6oob#100041/IMG_0942&bgcolor=black

Sage
bbianchi

Did this tip work for anyone? it hasn't worked for me :smileysad:
Contributor

So to hard reset the N97 we need to power off, press and hold the E, J, Blue Arrow, Green Button on the front, and the power button all at the same time.  Doesn't that make at least 2 people to press and hold all those buttons?

Also is the "send key" the green touch button on the front?

bbianchi,

Hi I am having the same problem as you... Have you found a solution yet? 

Sage
bbianchi

I have a procedure I have come up with that will clear the wedge, but its just gonna happen again.

For me, if I fix it and then install Google Maps (or anything), sync contacts, upload music ... it just bricks again. If you want the procedure here you go:

1. Turn off phone

2. Take out SIM Card (only so you dont have to deal with the network err when resetting)

3. hookup USB so the charging begins

4. Turn on the phone

5. Once the phone comes up DO NOT LET IT LOCK it will not unlock if you do

6. Open the slider and just dial a few numbers 

7. Wait however long you need for the dialpad to come up.

8. Use the dialpad to punch in *#7370# 

9. Profit

10. Repeat shortly when it bricks itself again.

Contributor

Great, so the key is to power on while it is charging without the SIM card.  Then do a *#7370# reset?
Sage
bbianchi

No. They key is to do exactly what I said, everything has a purpose, I highly doubt this is going to work with the wall charger.

bbianchi,

Thank you for your quick reply! I followed your instructions and it revived my phone! I have just gotten this phone today and played around with it for about 2 hours and it bricked (nothing fancy didn't even install anything except the mandatory update I had to install for ovi store to work)...I was so disappointed! The phone is working now... although i still haven't installed anything I have synced my contacts with outlook and copied some music over. The software seems really buggy right now, I hope nokia is working hard on fixing all the bugs and put out an update soon because it would be a shame to see such a nice piece of hardware go to waste because of buggy firmware. Again, thanks for your help and I wish you the best of luck in getting your N97 working perfectly.