Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

is a broken screen considered a warranty repair ?

Contributor
brian_1

is a broken screen considered a warranty repair ?

it's not obvious from this website what a warranty repair is.. I dropped my 4 233k old N8 and the glass on the screen broke (note that I dropped it from sitting position - so about 60 cm, I've dropped old nokias from 3 floors up and they survived - just don't make them like they used to)

anyway - is that something that can be sent for repair under warranty or not? It's kind of accidental damage, but on the other hand it's poor build quality.

If not, then the website states that I have to take it to a nokia shop  - is that right? 

thanks. 

Sage
lillracksingen

Re: is a broken screen considered a warranty repair ?

No.

If the phone breaks from normal usage then poor build quality can be blamed and NCC will repair it for you. But if the phone breaks due to an accident then warranty repair doesn't apply.

Mobile Sensei
radical24

nope any physical damage you do to your phone is not covered under warranty. sorry mate. you will have to pay out of pocket for such damage
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Contributor
brian_1

£18 from amazon... saves the bother of going to the nearest nokia shop (which isn't very near) and paying with my pants down. 

still, a bit disappointed it broke so easily. I'll buy a case. 

Mobile Overlord
farby

..but that will void the other VALID Warranty...

Sage
cecampbell

Submit it for warranty repair right away.  Go to the support page for Nokia.com in your country.  They will take the phone in and decide whether it is covered. They will have you send it into the repair center and then they will let you know what they decide.  My N8 had a broken bottom cover.  I'm sure it was from a drop.  I sent it in and they repaired it with no questions asked.  On the other hand if they think that you were slamming your phone on the wall (like happened with a 5800 xm I had), they will give you a price to have them repair it or tell you it can't be repaired.  Either way, you won't know unless you submit it.  If they won't fix it under warranty and you don't want to pay for it, just have them send it back to you.

Contributor
brian_1

I asked via email - they said it's not covered, and to take it to the nearest nokia shop for a price. shouldn't be too long before I get another company phone, so I just need this until I get something better

deadbeat

i went to a Nokia care center to repair my broken screen..the glass actually, that broke the first time it was ever dropped..and i really am regretting buying it..
so i went to this Nokia care center and asked them about its repair, they said as we are going to buy the parts from some other city, they are going to charge me lots of money. i asked the same question from a mobile shop and they were willing to repair it for less than half the price Nokia care was telling me..like first i spend loads of money on buying this phone, than because of its low quality manufacturing, the glass breaks and i spend more...SERIOUSLY!!

Counsellor
Gilbertd

I'm astounded anyone could try and suggest that a glass screen that breaks when you drop the phone could be a manufacturing fault! The clue is in the name, it's a glass screen, not plastic like on older phones, and glass breaks when you drop it.

@deadbeat the difference is that if you take it to a Nokia Care Centre and pay them to repair it, the warranty will still be valid in case something that is a warranty item fails. Take it to any old mobile shop and any work they do will void the whole warranty.
CutelikeCobra

My Lumia 710's screen cracked after it fell. Although it wasn't my fault neither was it a manufacturing defect. It fell twice on consecutive days and the minor crack from the first drop spread in the next drop. The LCD is intact. At Nokia Care they said 3350/- for the Corning Guerilla Glass (tm).
HDcoffee