Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

mtp device driver installation on nokia 5800 fails

Registered Member

Re: mtp device driver installation on nokia 5800 fails

Excellent! Steps are clear and precise. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
iomangage

Re: mtp device driver installation on nokia 5800 failsy

Seriously that worked awesome....thnx.:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
brinsey72

Tronic47 wrote:

Way easier solution than that. I had the MTP issue almost from the get go. Mucked about with it for ages and finally with some lateral thinking came up with the following solution.

1. Make sure your computers on Windows Media Player 10 (MP11 **bleep** it up every time)

2. Put phone in Mass Storage mode (its in the settings/connectivity/USB section)

3. Plug in the USB cable and go to Windows Explorer

4. Navigate to the private folder on your phone and delete folder 10208913

5. Unplug USB cable

6. Turn off the phone

7. Plug the USB cable back in to the computer

8. Turn on the phone

9. Change back to PC Suite mode in settings/connectivity/USB

10. MTP will now load ok and everything should be tickety boo

11. If not Shoot yourself after first throwing phone out of a high window cos nothings going to work!

BIG thanks to  Tronic47 tride everything this worked first time top gob buddy

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thank you very, very, veru much Tronic47!!!

Worked fine here, after 2 days searching everywhere.

Now everything is "tickety boo".

Hugs.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
monitha

thanks!! it worked.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tiagobigode

don't work, help please

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
suresh1000

Thanx tronix..ur troubleshooting procedure worked for me

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
trane

thank you friend........got it up and running..... : D
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Russell202

Thanks, I have wasted a number of hours on this.  Worked perfectly first time.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tangerine3

Tronic47's solution did get rid of the MTP error message but as soon as I tried syncing with Ovi Suite again, I had the same problem. Nokia PC Suite produces the same error.

I've uninstalled, repaired, and even used Nokia PC Suite cleaner then reinstalled everything and I'm still having problems with syncing (that MTP balloon message just keeps popping up). I have no probem syncing music while in mass storage mode, but then when I actually try to find the music on my phone, only about a quarter of what I synced is there.

I've been trying to fix this problem for weeks now and I'm at my wit's end. If anyone has any other suggestions or ideas, I would be grateful for the help.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Infinite_

Thanks for advice! That actually worked with Vista 64X. Only that I didn't have to roll back to Media Player 10 as you advised. Media Player 10 was not needed to replace MP 11 so that first step is not required for that solution to work. Kudos!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dawngrabe777

Re: mtp device driver installation on nokia 97 fails

I have a Nokia N97 and had the same problem as reported with the 5800. I followed this very clever person's advice for the Nokia N97 as well and it worked. I am very happy not to have to shoot myself yet, but have had such problems with Nokia over the past couple of years, I am seriously considering throwing it out of the window in any case. Not sure where this message is going to pop up but this is the advice that I followed which was posted by TRONIC47:

I might add that I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and Media Player 12 that comes with it. his advice worked like a charm.

Thank you very much for the advice. You are a super cool dude.

DO THE FOLLOWING HE ADVISES:

1. Make sure your computers on Windows Media Player 10 (MP11 **bleep** it up every time)

2. Put phone in Mass Storage mode (its in the settings/connectivity/USB section)

3. Plug in the USB cable and go to Windows Explorer

4. Navigate to the private folder on your phone and delete folder 10208913

5. Unplug USB cable

6. Turn off the phone

7. Plug the USB cable back in to the computer

8. Turn on the phone

9. Change back to PC Suite mode in settings/connectivity/USB

10. MTP will now load ok and everything should be tickety boo

11. If not Shoot yourself after first throwing phone out of a high window cos nothings going to work!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kaylejordan_29

Guys, Thanks a lot for your help.

I just want to add the solution that worked for me.

1. Connect your N5800 using the PC Suite mode

(then "MTP Device found" appears but cannot finish installation, it just continuously pops) 

2. Then change the USB connection to "Mass Storage"

3. Delete Folder 10208913 (From E: Private, thats your memory card)

4. Then remove your phone and USB from the PC, then restart your N5800

5. After that, safely remove your memory card (that is when you press your On/Off button once, its in the bottom selection)

6. Then plug your N5800 into your PC using "PC Suite" connection

7. MTP device will be installed properly then.

*worked on Windows XP, make sure that before you do all these steps, you have updated the frimware of your N5800 and also the latest Ovi suite, latest PC suite, the latest everything, ok!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mariusp

Yes, thank you Tronic47. Your post was very helpful.

I have a Nokia 5230 - in the same family as the 5800. I also had this MTP driver installation problem. I tried removing and formatting the Micro SD card. That did not work. Then I found your solution. It worked like a bomb! The only difference was that I did not find the folder that you referred to. It might be due to the fact that I had reformatted the Micro SD card before. Something else worth mentioning perhaps is that I had Windows Media Player 9 installed, which I replaced with MP10 on your recommendation.

Greetings

Marius

Please use plain text.
Advisor
qubuqu

had came across same problems in xp sp3 & vista hp sp2, the causes might be:

- on xp, windows select 'MTP device' driver rather than the nokia Nokia Windows Portable Device Driver

- on vista, similar issues. vista will prompt with something similalr to  'driver might not be compatible , continual ?'

To correct the driver, select update driver for the item 'MTP device' that having installation problems in device manager

(1) follow windows' instructions & select 'manually install / select driver' (my desc. here is not exact , similar meanings), point source folder to the folder:

Drive:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\

having this 'PCCSWpdDriver.inf' file

(2) select 'yes' to continue install if prompted 'not compatible with windows'

(3) under xp, the 'MTP device' might flash that would interfere ur update, try right click & select 'Disable 'the 'MTP device' ; select update driver afterwards

(4) select update driver again if xp said the driver could not be installed while disable. update again. (this step might not be necessary?)

Hope this help.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vivekmay12

I faced the same problem with nokia5800. I m using windows vista and windows media player11. May be WMP11 synchronizes the music on mobile device and don't allow this synchronization to setup with any other player like ovi player. I end the synchronization with WMP11 under sync tab and it solved the problem for me. Good luck guys

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi guys,

i hope someone can help...

I had MTP driver loading problem as so many. I deleted private file as suggested with no luck. Then got software update text from nokia. Updated to 51.0006. Now MTP loads. Yipee you think...? But no. Now i cant download music to my phone as ovi music tells me my memory card is full, but my phone browser tells me i have 256mb left. Any ideas? I have deleted a track from my memory card, but it still says i have 0.0 kb. I have refreshed my music library and removed the memory card and reinserted it. Ive turned the phone off and back on. Ive run out of ideas. Please help......... 

Please use plain text.
Professor
JudaZ

I would suggest backup your memorycard,

then format the memorycard

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rgulecha

thanks for the info..it worked perfectly fine for me :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mixp01

I have had this Issue, this is the solution Tronic47's answer worked, however This is the solution, the problem lies after installing the PC or OVI suite, if you have WMP11.
so
1. uninstall WMP11 and make sure you also remove the WMP11 runtime addon from add/remove progs.
2. Go throught WMP10 Setup. by clicking Media player icon - If already set >Re-install nokia suite.
and connect your phone when prompted.

Job sorted!
I also did this and it worked.
4. I left my phone connected through PC suite then re-installed WMP11. This time the driver MTP stays - you know its working cos you will see both nokia 5230 and MTP under portable devices in Device Manager. you may also hear a double usb connected windows tone. 1 for nokia 5230 2 for MTP.

Regards mixp01
Please use plain text.