Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

n8 charging fault

Advisor
dslam

n8 charging fault

[ Edited ]

I've had my n8 for two years, my n8 will no longer charge through the USB port.  I'm confident that what triggered this is not giving the n8 enough time to fully charge several times in a row prior to the battery going dead.  Each time I "short" charged the phone for an hour or two and it showed full battery life after unplugging the charger, which I knew wasn't possible.  I'm posting this in case any Engineers at Nokia are interested in this problem.

Also, as an Electrical Engineer myself, and having worked with Lithium Ion batteries, phone manufacturers would be better off relying on the voltage as an indicator of capacity rather than the artificially derived capacity ratings which "adapt" overtime.

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

Re: n8 charging fault

Like you, I've had my N8 for over 2 years and am starting to find both charging points very temperamental. They have to be connected just right and not moved whilst charging.

From reading the forum's it would appear we aren't alone.

If "short charging" has messed up your charge calculation you may need to do a full re-set and installation of the firmware.

I'd start with the Battery out reset and work upwards, not sure at what level the data is held.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Advisor
dslam

I discovered the charging issue after much fiddling.  It's the micro-USB port on the phone side.  USB female "hole" on the top side, has a thin piece of metal, split in the middle, that is slightly bent upwards, probably less than a millimeter and wasn't making good contact with the outside, top side of the micro-USB plug   Wiggling the plug did nothing to help this problem.  I got a safety pin and slightly bent the thin piece of metal down and voila, IT"S CHARGING!

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

Cheers, I'll look at that, did you do it from the outside or dis-assemble?

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
hpholm

I would check the USB cable first. Ground connection is made by two tiny springs on the USB (male) connector. The end of the cable connector can also be squeezed slightly to make a more secure connection to the pins in the phone.

And check for dust and muck inside the USB connector on the phone once in a while!

--

Hans

Please use plain text.