Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: n97 mini overheating

Advisor
yowanvista

n97 mini overheating

My new N97 is overheating while i browse the web. After sometime it will turn off by itself. I'm using the latest firmware. This seems to be am issue with the Nseries as i also got the same issue with other models. Any clues?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
milesh

Normally phone gets heat when surfing web, watching videos. But you said your phone automatically turns off. Try hard reset your phone

press and hold Caps shift + Space bar + Delete button while turning your phone on.

N97 hard

Glad to help :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

milesh, it is extremely stupid and irresponsible of you to advise a hard reset without warning the user about the total data loss from the phones memory that occurs during the process.

Also it is extremely lazy of you to advise a hard reset for this issue without first doing a bit of basic troubleshooting. For the sake of this forum please post more responsibly in future!

@yowanvista - when it's overheating what other programs are running in the background? (hold your menu key to find out).

Also are you using the default nokia browser or an alternative such as opera? Is the overheating happening whilst using wi-fi or mobile data (2G/3G/3.5G)? If mobile data are you in a strong or weak signal area?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
milesh

I'm really sorry, in this time i've forgot to mention that. :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Ok, in future if you want to be helpful please take the time to troubleshoot a problem instead of spamming a hard reset without warning.

I know you are desperate for kudos/rank judging by your past failed efforts to cheat but please don't let your desperation get in the way of helping people.

Rank and kudos grant no special rewards, being a good helpful poster is what counts here.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
yowanvista

the only open app is opera mini 5.1. The 3g signal is strong and free memory is 24.7mb. I got the same problem with my older n70 and n95
Please use plain text.
Advisor
yowanvista

also happens with the standard s60 browser
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
milesh

psychomania wrote:

Ok, in future if you want to be helpful please take the time to troubleshoot a problem instead of spamming a hard reset without warning.

I know you are desperate for kudos/rank judging by your past failed efforts to cheat but please don't let your desperation get in the way of helping people.

Rank and kudos grant no special rewards, being a good helpful poster is what counts here.

sorry again buddy. yes i know i'm not a perfect and i know we aren't getting any reward. I'm sharing only my personal experiences.

P.S. i don't have any experiences in Symbian ^3 platform, so i can't help in that till i get any Symbian ^3 phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
yowanvista

@milesh n97mini uses Sybiam OS 9.4 and is a s60v5 phone, not Symbian^3

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
milesh

i guess you didn't get what i mean.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
yowanvista

What did you mean?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
milesh

I don't have any Symbian ^3 device yet. So i can't help on that. But i'm already using C6 and 5800XM. Both phones running on Symbian S60 platform (5th edition). So i have many experiences in this platform.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

yowanvista wrote:
the only open app is opera mini 5.1. The 3g signal is strong and free memory is 24.7mb. I got the same problem with my older n70 and n95

If it happened with those other two is it certain websites that trigger the phone to crash? Are you streaming audio or video when the crashes happen?

It's perfectly normal that the phone should get warm but if it gets uncomfortably hot then there is a problem.

Were you using the same sim card in all three phones?  Can you try the phone with a different/newer sim or browse using wi-fi to see if the problem still happens?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
yowanvista

[ Edited ]
I'm not streaming any media and Wifi is turned off It will only overheat after about 5mins and this is annoying I tired other sims and got the same problem I brought it to the local nokia care center but they told me it was normal and they checked the phone and found no problems. So it seems like a firmware issue
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

So after roughly five mins it will overheat and reboot?

If so then it looks like a hardware problem, not software or sim. It is not normal that it should crash so quickly.

It is normal that it will get a bit warm after 5 mins but not normal to crash or reboot. You should return to the care point (or a different care point) and demonstrate the behaviour to them.

If they are unwilling to help call Nokia care in your country and take the issue up with them. The number is available via the contact us link near the top of the page.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
yowanvista

After 5mins is won't crash but it will continue to overheat till it crashes(but this rarely occurs) unless I switch the phone to offline mode. But I soon as I reconnect it will start to heat up again, why s60 devices warm up like this but not s40 ones?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

If it's rare then you shouldn't worry as that does point to it being a software issue. The phone getting warm is perfectly normal and different people have different definitions of overheating.

Some S40 phones do warm up in this way especially ones that can handle 3.5G signals. Generally the 2G models don't tend to warm up as fast because they aren't handling high speed data. As an experiment if you set your phone to GSM only you'll find that it heats up far slower than when using 3G or wi-fi. Obviously the data speed will be slow.

If the crashing is just random and the phone isn't too warm to touch then it is more likely a firmware issue than anything else. Unfortunately no one here can tell you if or when Nokia will release new firmware for that model.

Please use plain text.
rockstar1994007

i have n97 mini and its geting hot while using wifi is it normal or there is some problem with my fon becuse it get very hot and is difficult to hold it in hanD!

Please use plain text.
rockstar1994007

is someone has any solution for this just let me know plz!
Please use plain text.