Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: n97 out of memory errors

Contributor
Accepted Solution

n97 out of memory errors

The product is N97, you don’t have in you drop down list!!!

I have had my n97 for about 10 days now and everything was going brilliant. It is a stunning piece of kit.

However on day 11. I repowered the n97, it kept on hanging the eventually got to boot after 20 attempts, but it was useless could not look up contacts. So I had taskman installed and killed loads of processes and uninstalled all the apps. It became usable as a very basic phone, but sluggish. Could use browser, maps, photos.

The problem is I keep on experiencing out of memory errors on the phone, when I try to do basic things. I don’t know how to resolve this. I have rebooted, reset the phone to factory settings.

Deleted data, uninstalled more apps and still no joy!! I cannot connect to ovi/pc suite to up grade the phone or roll it back.

Symptoms the phone is sluggish it is still virtually unusable. It just barely make phones and is slow to respond to touch-screen presses and key presses.

The taskman app says the is 47 mb free on C: drive. So I cant see what the problem is!!!

I have always bought nokia for 10 years, never experience this sort of thing before.  I am really disappointed with this.

Anybody else experienced this? Any ideas?

Many thanks

Gd

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
roz_n97

I moved my messages from the phone memory to the mass memory. 

I seen over posts on this on the forum - have a search around.

Cheers,
"ROZ"
N97 on GiffGaff
Started to grind to a halt until I hard reset it - still a lot slowly than my wife's iP4
Please use plain text.
Sage

clear out the browser cache as well...I went from 10MB free to 37MB free just by moving messages off C volume and deleting cache and the demo MP4 movie off the C volume...FYI
Please use plain text.

Hi gtwod

It could also be that if you have a corrupted or incompatible  added Micro SD card, that it could be causing the phone to hang.

I've not had that issue personally, but I was aware of it when I bought a 16Gb sd card..fortunately it's behaved fine so far.

Have you had any progres since your last post?

n97boy.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have not used any Micro SD cards :-(

I have read in the other postings about a factory settings reset, which I did. And restored most of my settings back from my n95.

I am carefully adding back the apps  and taking regaular back ups. So if I find the app/procces which basicly screwed the n97 , I will report back.

watch this space.

thanks for you advice,
Please use plain text.
Sage
jmoulding

*#7370# sorted mine and mine sounds the same as ur problem
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thats what i did inthe end and had to reinstall apps...

ALso if I already own an app (taskman), why do i have to repurchases it from ovi store?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have the same issues. 2 weeks in and the phone ground to a halt constantly complaining about "Out of memory" and "System Error". 

*#7370# has sorted me out, but. I'd disagree with the person who marked this as a solution, it is NOT a solution. Having to hard reset your phone every few weeks is NOT an acceptable situation.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I see what you mean, point well made. But is the only way I could get my phone to work again. It is like dismantling your house and rebuilding the house because your Loft/Attic is full.

I am slowly tring to reproduce the problem again. To find the "straw which broke the camels back" and see if there is more elegant way of resolving.

For new unfortante n97 users, it gets them out of a jam quickly.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ercanmetin

I just read this post from begining to the end.. what a piece of **bleep** is this stupid N97! People buying 700$ phone and trying to get 3mb here 2mb there to be able to run things smoothly! I have no words for Nokia.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hanani

Morning

I just got my N97 yesterday....I had this problem of "full memory" error. My solution was to "move" the messages from one memory to another, and it works fine ever since.

Hanani

using Nokia since ages most recent were the 9300, N95 the E71, and since July 15 - a proud owner of the N97 - later switched to the N97 White
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Did the same myself but still, the phone shouldn't run out of memory just because of a few saved text messages.

What are Nokia thinking of using the phone memory to store text messages in the first place?! I appreciate with other phones they only have a memory card as extra storage, which cannot be relied upon to be present. But the N97 has 32GB, IN THE PHONE, it's not going anywhere! All the inbuilt applications should be installed to the mass memory and use the mass memory for storing data, leaving the phone memory for immediatley running applications. And even then it should only be used for the application in the foreground at that moment, with the ones not demanding immediate attention being swapped out, it's how most operating systems work!

Please use plain text.
Sage
jmoulding

ill agree with you there, its not a solution
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hanani

FYI - There has just been a review in the Israeli press about the N97 which will be launched late next week - the bottom line was: This is for people who are either addicted to Nokia or for thoise who just can't wait.... (for teh IPhone)

As a matter of fact - The Iphone will be launched in ISrael in 2 months, until now there have been "illagally imported" about 100,000 Iphones.

As far as I am concerned - if I see that I can not make a really good use of teh keyboard - I will turn it back and join the waiting list for the IPhone too !

using Nokia since ages most recent were the 9300, N95 the E71, and since July 15 - a proud owner of the N97 - later switched to the N97 White
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I got my Nokia n97 today and my friend was bluetoothing some songs when it said the memory was full, is there a way of making everything saved to my mass memory?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

baz, for the song sent by bluetooth, they are recieved as text messages, so you need to go toMenu > Messaging > Options > Settings > Other > and change the Memory in use to E: Mass memory.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

You can always try to do also soft reset  instead of hard reset. Soft reset doe not remove any apps. only some settings will go to default settings. Put your phone offline mode and then type *#7780#.

I had some problems with certain web pages. Issue with cookies and that helped me....

Also if you have lack of phone memory you can always make some free space easily by installing all apps to mass memory. Note that existing widgets are all in the phone memory. You can move them to mass memroy by deleting them and then downloading and installing again via ovi store....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Copyless thanks for the tip.  Kudos added :-)

I had the same problem a friend was trying to bluetooth some videos to me and I was getting Memory problem, How embarasing after a few min of my mates being impressed with the phone, and me praising it and talking about so much space and blah blah blah.

I could not receive videos via bluetooth because they were 5MB.  WHY on EARTH can they not default this to the E: drive.

Whoever made that decision in NOKIA should be fired what an idiot.

Also  when I finally got to get the pictures on the phone via a computer I could not see them via the "Photos"  I had to go via the File Manager and see one by one.  AARRRRRRRRGHHH  I am getting to the point that I am going to return this phone.

N97 Black unlocked using the 3 Network (UK). Product Code 0586308. Firmware V20.0.019. Made In Finland.Custom version V20.019.235.10.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

it has happened again. had a few weeks of trouble free and use and application errors when i boot up and the phone is useless. unless nokia comes up with a number patch i will be getting rid of my n97. this is shocking.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re. C: memory filling up:

After trying everything the N97 Support line suggested including a *#7370# reset, I deleted 400 old emails from the Nokia Messaging Deleted folder and wow!  gone from 4Mb to 17Mb free on C:

Ian

Please use plain text.