Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: n97 v2.0 firmware issues/bugs

Professor
matt_t

MDanish wrote:
thats hard right i mean in the previous version of frimware its nothing like thaattt so noww why??? and there is somee more small thingss u knoww and those thing want some improvement....

That's why I called it a change in functionality.  It happens.  It took me a while to get used to it but I did and I am sure you will too.  Not worth losing any sleep about.

What else is giving you trouble?

Nokia N8 on O2-UK
Firmware 022.014
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I still have a few issues

• Still no alphanumeric characters on the regular dialing pad when dialing a phone number (e.g. 0900-PIZZA)
  • When in a phone call and the called party disconnects the screen goes black, I here a busy tone, and the N97 becomes unresponsive. This maks me feel out of control of the device. 
  • No response of the N97 when pressing a button when in locked mode. There shouild be at least some response when the phone is on and locked and a button is pressed. One solution would be blinking the leds a few times. This unresponsive behavior is new in firmware 2.0. Probably it was introducd to save battery power but as a user I feel out of control when this happens.
  • Web browser still not scrolling while loading a page.

Cheers

Erik

Please use plain text.
Sage
marcbyron

I have alphanumeric characters on the dialing pad since V2.0
Please use plain text.
Professor
matt_t

marcbyron wrote:

It seems to have been available on the NAM versions, but I don't think anyone else got it.
Nokia N8 on O2-UK
Firmware 022.014
Please use plain text.
Sage
jmoulding

Whats mFe??

and my volume button stays on screen when in a call if i turn the volume down once it mutes. if i turn it up it goes full.

ODD!

Please use plain text.
Sage
marcbyron

MfE stands for Mail for Exchange
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

matt_t wrote:

marcbyron wrote:

It seems to have been available on the NAM versions, but I don't think anyone else got it.

I have a Euro 1handset and do not have Alphanumeric keys.

What is a NAM Handset?

SloughSoldier - With a Passion to see this Handset Working Without Flaws.

If you like what I say - Hit the Kudos Button.
Please use plain text.
Professor
matt_t

SloughSoldier wrote:

matt_t wrote:

marcbyron wrote:

I have a Euro 1handset and do not have Alphanumeric keys.

What is a NAM Handset?

NAM is the term used to identify models distributed across the North American market.
Nokia N8 on O2-UK
Firmware 022.014
Please use plain text.
Sage
marcbyron

NAM = North America
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

My Keyboard all of a sudden started to malfunction, Q,W,E,R,T,and Y and backspace keys aswell as select button on D-Pad not working. I did a hard reset after backing up. Now keyboard works occasionally, but never know when it will work consistantly.

After resetting I put on new downloads from Ovi store. How do I save these apps before I reset again? As this seems to be the logical step to fix the keyboard before I go back to the phone shop and start to argue with the salesman about this pants....but expensive phone.

Very frustrated....mugged off Nokia customer.

Please use plain text.
Professor
matt_t

Anything you download from Ovi Store is recorded on your Store account.  You can re-download any app for free as long as you are running the latest Ovi client on your phone.  There is a re-download limit though and if you exceed this, you can't re-download an app and will need Nokia staff to send you a link.  This will only be a problem if you hard reset a few times and attempt to get your apps again and again.

Nokia N8 on O2-UK
Firmware 022.014
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Ok, after some fairly painful conversations with Nokia, here is the result of my dramas.....

It seems the live update of the latest firmware is not a trouble free as you might think.

the Tech said they have had a large number of N97's with similar issues, and it seems the live internet update doesn't always install properly. He also said that the updates they do at nokia service seem to be far more stable.  I also found that the original backup I made before I updated was buggy.  Not all the information was going over and was corrupting some functionality. ( I think it is the phone specific backup that caused the problems).

So... I have had the lens cover replaced (scratched) and the GPS reception looked at. The lens cover was replaced, but the GPS reception is still rubbish. I have given up using it now, It is completely useless without the assisted GPS.

To combine the poor  GPS reception, the prohibitive cost of the maps subscription and the assisted GPS cost to users has to be the most poorly implemented ( and financially disastrous ) thing Nokia could have possibly done to its product line. As well as the prohibitively expensive and poor quality products at the OVI Store, the glaring omissions of some basic functionality ( no kinetic scrolling inside an email, screen lock can't be turned off (media player!?), the ever present nokia theme taking control of the ringtones just adds to the painful experience that is owning a nokia smartphone. Not that long ago owning a Nokia was a no brainer, it worked well and did everything you needed, and did things you hadn't thought of.

Next phone for me? NOT A NOKIA!

Please use plain text.
Sage
princemarvin

I recently faced a major problem. I have updated my N97 RM-505 code: 0576410 to v20.0.19. The update went easy & fine. I followed many of the steps mentioned here especially soft reset by #*7370# and then everything was going perfect.

Then, I started to reinstall most of my previous apps from Ovi store. Everything went fine also.

HOWEVER, I was manually restating my mobile. The mobile didn't turn on! That was very strange. I did not hack my phone, I did not install any pirated software, I followed the book, as some may say. But the phone didn't turn on.

I hard reset my mobile by pressing "backspace + spacebar + **bleep**" while turning on the phone & successfully, I managed to turn it on. Thanks God.

Then, I reinstalled some of the apps that were lost after the hard reset. Then the problem re-occurred when I manually restarted my mobile.

Then, hard reset again but without any application installation. Again, when I manually restart the phone, it didn't turn on. I had to hard reset it again. What is going on?

I then tried NSU, to reinstall the firmware. Surprisingly, I got the message that my firmware was not approved by the operator! How come?! My phone is not branded to any network. I tried several times with now success.

Can Anyone help please??? This is serious...

Thanks. 

If you like my post & find it helpful click on the Kudos button... Thanks.. ;-)
Please use plain text.
Advisor

this is a newly discovered bug

n97 screen not lighting up when message recieved if the phone is locked after a couple of minutes

Please use plain text.

Dear All, I've just recently updated my N97 (Product Code: 0586299) to firmware version to 20.0.019. And I also have done the *#7370# hard reset the N97 after the update (plus I also reformatted the built-in Mass Storage).
However, afterwards I am not able to connect my computer to the N97 as modem (i.e. "Connect to Internet" feature) from the Ovi Suite.
The N97 and the Ovi Suite are connected and other features function fine.
Only the "Connect to Internet" feature fails (so far), and I can browse the Internet directly from the N97.
I have tried to reboot both the computer and turn off and on the N97, but still unsuccessful.
The Ovi Suite's error message is:
Connection Error.
Failed to connect to the network. Unable to connect to the selected mobile device. Restart your device and connect it to the computer again.

Later on I also installed the PC Suite hoping that I may be able to "Connect to Internet" using the PC Suite.
However this effort also brings nothing, I still can not use the N97 as modem.
The PC Suite's error message is:
One Touch Access.
Failed to connect to the network! One Touch Access could not connect to the selected device.

Below are some information of the softwares within my computer (obtained from the Ovi Suite):

Nokia Ovi Suite 2.0.1.35
Nokia PC Suite 7.1.40.1
Nokia Music 1.3.20722.1
Nokia Photos 1.6.434.0
PC Connectivity Solution 9.44.0.3
Connectivity Cable Driver 7.1.22.0
Nokia Ovi Suite Software Updater 2009.40.0.60128
Maps Service API 3.0.35.0
Nokia mPlatform 2.5.195
Ovi Desktop Sync Engine 1.0.0.684

Operating system:
Microsoft Windows XP 32-bit Edition, Service Pack 3
Language: English

Detected internet browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13
- Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5 (Default browser)

Detected Bluetooth stacks:
- Microsoft (Version: 5.1.2600, Build: 5512)
- Broadcomm (Version: 5.1.0, Build: 4803)

Later on, I uninstalled all of those OVI & PC Suites software modules from my computer, and also some other modules with name "Nokia" or software modules which was issued/distributed by "Nokia" and I also run the PC Suite Cleaner (just to be thoroughly cleaning my computer). Reboot my computer several times on the way.

Finally just before installing again the PC Suite, I rebooted the computer one final time and the re-install the PC Suite only (I choose this because at this moment PC Suite seems to offer better features compared to Ovi Suite).

However, the problem persist. I can not "Connect to Internet" using the PC Suite.
Only this time there is one confirmation request done by the N97 to approve/accept connection from the computer, when I tried to "Connect to Internet".
Previously the N97 didn't even ask for such confirmation.
The error message from the PC Suite is still the same:
One Touch Access.
Failed to connect to the network! One Touch Access could not connect to the selected device.

Any helps or pointing to some other references are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.

Just upgrade my n97 to firmware v20.0.19 and noticed that my keypad backlight is always ON despite in a bright condition.. Is there anything wrong with the light sensor or is it a firmware bug??? Anyone out there have this same issue??
Please use plain text.
Professor
rasmus

My phone sucks - I lost track of these bugs long ago.  As for solutions there are none.

To the fellow with the issue of the OVI Suite / Nokia Suite - seems the only way to get all those conflicting libs is to reinstall your PC then put on a fresh version of OVI.  I've been through that enough time to confirm it, seems nokia can't even make an un-installer right to get rid of thier own junk.

I will say the lastest OVI suite is acceptable - just dont understand why syncing takes so long (i do contacts, calendar and notes only which seldom change). 

I love my purple screen, 1/2 day battery, sketchy touch screen and $800 price tag - I call it my Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have mine updated to v.20 recently and omg is nightmare to me!..... some of my usual applications dont work anymore. The worst is when I reboot the phone..... phone don't start up anymore, it will remain in the white screen with Nokia Logo.
I tried taking the mem card, sim card and battery out and put them back.. still cannot start up the phone.
The only way out is hard reset the phone, after performing the hard reset, I flash the firmware again, format the phone mem, mass mem and mem card, do a clean installation without using the backup, reboot - ok, install app - reboot - ok.
But after a few bootings without installing any new applications, the white screen with nokia logo comes back and refuse to start up anymore!  So far I have done 5 hard resets, been struggling with the phone for the past 4 days! I have phobia in rebooting the phone now....perhaps I should send the phone back to nokia center to downgrade the firmware...
Anyone with the similiar problem? please help!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
j_ben

noob_user said:

Just upgrade my n97 to firmware v20.0.19 and noticed that my keypad backlight is always ON despite in a bright condition.. Is there anything wrong with the light sensor or is it a firmware bug??? Anyone out there have this same issue??

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i too have the same issue. let's take note of this and other bugs coz v21 is coming to town.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Just updated to v21, all problems solved! No more nightmares, phone works like charm....
Please use plain text.