Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: need help about free space on C: for n8

Counsellor
youcef84

need help about free space on C: for n8

I HAVE NOKIA N8

AND MY FREE SPACE ON  C:  IS JUST 34MB

SO I WANT INSTALL NEW APPS MICROSOFT APP 2.1  THEY SAY CANT NEED SPACE 50 MB

MY Q IS :

can i instal this apps on  E: ???? if yes tell me how

if no tell me how i tack some space on c with out delet original nokia apps

(i install all apps on e;  )

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker

You can use Nokia Suite to help you free up some space on phone memory. Give it a try.

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

youcef84 wrote:

I HAVE NOKIA N8

AND MY FREE SPACE ON  C:  IS JUST 34MB

SO I WANT INSTALL NEW APPS MICROSOFT APP 2.1  THEY SAY CANT NEED SPACE 50 MB

MY Q IS :

can i instal this apps on  E: ???? if yes tell me how

if no tell me how i tack some space on c with out delet original nokia apps

(i install all apps on e;  )

Try the solution posted in another thread regarding the same issue.

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Low-phone-memory-N8/m-p/1122799/high...

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
Ngwangwa

Hi all,

Soft resetting, hard resetting and reinstalling the firmware in our devices every time we encounter a problem with our devices is not a solution because how many times will we keep on doing that for every problem that we encounter. I have noticed that this is always what users are told. Nokia must come with a fix for the shrinking memory in C for Nokia Belle devices such as the Nokia N8-00

Ngwangwa - Six Million Ways To Die Choose One
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

[ Edited ]

Hi Ngwangwa

I appreciate your comments and tend to agree mostly. However, in this instance a factory reset is the surest way to free up space on C:

It's also a good opportunity to start again from scratch by getting rid of certain applications we've installed over time but don't actually use.

The shrinking memory issue isn't common to all N8's because mine is stable at 73 MB free which doesn't fluctuate.

All the best.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

Hi Craig_Mitchell,

I'm sure you are trying to help, and so am I.

A consumer N8-00, after a refurbish flash of Belle, logged into a Nokia/OVI account, with an active SIM card and memory card installed, having installed all updates offered to Maps, Store, Social etc. when connected to Nokia Suite, and using the built-in apps once to complete setup and preferences, has around 75MB left on C: before the user adds mailboxes and social accounts and use the phone.

After this, a fraction of a MB may disappear on C: every day, and occasionally a 10 or 20MB chunk of free space will disappear, never to be seen again unless the phone is flashed. In my case 20MB were lost after a routine backup to the memory card.

Please note that on consumer devices the Qt runtime, Maps and other both essential and sponsored features are baked into the firmware + it allocates and reserves big parts of C: space for FOTA, Internet browser, Store, Maps and so on. In Belle I reckon we are now up to a total of 50MB reserved space on C:, and this may be different to the developer firmware on your device?

The shrinking C: drive free space problem is unfortunately very real for some users.

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

Hi Dan555,

It would be more fun to send my N8 with Belle and all updates to Nokia R&D after using it for a few weeks until it runs out of C: space - with a note attached saying to return it only when the disappearing free space problem is solved!

The second-hand value of an N8 in mint condition is about €100 around here, and mine is slightly dented on the plastic top and bottom after 18 months, the original earphones lost the left channel a long time ago, and the notification light stopped working after the Belle update in March 2012, although I'm not sure if Belle caused that.

What I'm trying to say is that the N8 is getting old and it is perfectly understandable if Nokia is leaving it behind, I just wish Nokia had stopped at Anna and Maps 3.06 instead of trying to make it do something it can't and never was built to do.

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

[ Edited ]

It can do it, it's just got a habit of letting badly written programs spew log and tempory files everywhere and letting unwary users store and installing things into the wrong place (if I install everything to C: on the computer, why not on the phone?). Log and tempory files should be stored on E: or F: if possible and automatically cleaned up by the system as the user's never going to see them anyway. Messaging/E-mail/Photos/Videos/Music/Maps should be restricted saving to E: and F: alone. Only system apps (the bare minimum; screensavers, advanced VoIP settings, etc...) should give the option of installing to C:.

And all of this is a by-product of the phone being unable to access E: and F: when it's connected in USB Mass Storage mode. That's what should really be fixed.

There is custom firmware out there which leaves C: with about 220 megs free, so I don't know why I'm back down to 25 megs with the official firmware. If people in their spare time can do a better job hacking away at config files and so on I don't know what Nokia's problem is if it's got the entire source code.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
IceyUK

i agree wit you 100%, i started getting this problem nearly 2months ago and have never really  got it sorted, the only thing i keep doing is getting rid of old emails and messages to free space its even come to the point where am having to remove maps, apps that are installed, i have been a nokia user for the past eight years and to be honest i think its time i moved to a different operating system, i've had enough of this memory b.s, android here i come

Please use plain text.