Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

nokia 5530 internet problems (wifi)

I have a nokia 5530 expressmusic with firmware 20.0.080 (latest version on date of posting).

I connect with it to the internet via wifi. Typically, the first page loads fine. However the second page often fails to load, especially if it is not a very tiny website. Clicking on a button does typically also fails. Note that this also happens when browsing the ovi store, which should clearly be fully compatible with the nokia browser.

Some examples:

For the ovi store, this typically means I can get to the page of recommended applications, but I cannot download one. when I'm lucky, I can get up to the place where I have to enter my account info.

for the site "webmail.telenet.be"

the site loads, I can enter my nickname and password and sometimes get a warning about the fact that it is a secure site and the question to remember my password. After which I get the error "no gateway reply".

Directly after the previous errorI browse to www.wikipedia.org (the phone asks me gain to connect to the wifi network)

The site loads wellI type in the word "radar" and select the search function. The phone does something (As I can now select to stop loading the page" ), but I do not get to the next page. "no gateway reply"

I tried youtube (via the dedicated icon provided by nokia): same issue: first page loads, pressing the search button gets a no gateway reply.

In general, I get 3 cases:

- the phone keeps showing the progress bar for such a long time that in the end, I run out of patience

- I get the error "no gateway reply"

- The progress bar appears and after some time disappears again without any resulting action

I checked the following things:

- wifi connection: reception is optimal. Other wifi equipment has no problems at all (laptops, logitech duet controller, etc). In addition, the first web page often loads well, showing that a working connection is present.

- I installed opera mini (via my computer :-) )to see whether the issue is browser related, but with opera, I experience similar problems.

- different days, different hours of the day: same issue

- acces ovi via link in the applications, via the mobile site or via the regular site: always problems

Anyone an idea where things go wrong and how to solve this?

kind regards

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: nokia 5530 internet problems (wifi)

Hello, i was having the same problem as you. The solution is very simple and you need to configure nothing.

Using the web browser by Wi-Fi is like using a laptop in a wireless modem, you only need to know the last 4 digits of your local

gateway (modem), and, in one side of the modem are always a numeric code in parentheses or brackets (this will be your

password), only select among the available networks to connect wich match with the last 4 numbers of the modem and use the

numeric code in it as the password and you will connect without problems, that's all.

If you try to connect in a public site is the same method, only asks for data connection (and you'll receive the last 4 digits of the

modem and the numeric pass) and it will be done.

I hope this works for all the people.

Best regards, Mike

Please use plain text.

Mikje, thanks for the reply.

I do however not fully understand your reply.

if you talk about the last four digits, do you mean the IP address of the wifi router? Or the MAC address? Or the SSID (which is not with numbers my system, but I can of course change this)?
Please use plain text.

problem solved: you need to disable the power saving settings for wifi. A google search should tell you how to do this. see for instance http://www.deciphered.net/blog/2007/06/18/howto_fix_wifi_dropouts_nokia_n95

Apparently, I'm far from the only one with this problem, on different nokia phones. So, I can only hope that Nokia takes this bug serious and tries to solve the issue.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Thiru5530

I have nokia 5530 with Firmware ver 20.0.080.231.03, I have problem connecting to internet via WiFi with Access point set to "Internet", I get "Connection not available" error

When the access point is set as 'Always Ask' I am able to browse and download the apps from Ovi store. but when i change the access point to internet (to connect via my router) it gives me this error and i am not able to browse or download anything but Opera Mini browser works fine with this setting (i think the Access point setting is specific to the Nokia default browser)

It took me 2 days to finally figure out this workaround.Please let me know if there is any fix for this. Hope this workaound helps you.

PS: To Change access point goto

Menu >> Internet >> Web >> Options >> Settings >> General >> Access point

Please use plain text.
NoGateWay

Re: nokia 5530 internet problems (wifi) no gate way reply

[ Edited ]

Hi Friends..

I have just purchased 5530XM but not able to use WLAN.

I have tried all  the suggestions / advise from the net about No Gate Way reply but I am frustrated.

1. I changed the Power Setting to disabled - did not work

2. I changed phone ip address as static - did not work

Can anybody bring me smile on my face ? I would be thankful to him / her. Please obliged me. I am able to connect WLAN but while going to web browsing got same error "No Gate Way Reply".

Please reply on this.

Thank you in advance.

Please use plain text.

Hi there.
I have exactly the same problem, I use a wireless router, Netgear DGBN2100 or something. My isp is talktalk.
From what I have been told by computer nerds (I myself am a computer nerd but some of my other friends are nerds too), Netgear is not great, especially as the N and N+ routers suffer WIFI ”spasm's” every fortnight. Even now as I am writing this a pop up message is coming up saying 'CONNECTION TO WLAN LOST'.
And talktalk *sigh*, If your isp is talktalk, then don't blame the router for being faulty. I have a 5530XM and have not watched a single youtube video since wednesday 10/11/2010, as everytime I connect to the network, It loses internet connection. THINGS GET WORSE when I stand just 1 METER AWAY FROM THE ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My advice to some of you is that if your wireless routers have got the easy setup button, then go to Settings>Connectivity>Destinations and locate your wireless router and click Options>Delete.
Next, you should turn off your wireless router and configure your wireless router so that you have-
1- A cable coming directly from the communications port (That port in the wall where you get your internet and telephone signal internet from)
2- That wire from the wall attached to a filter
3- A doubler attached to the longer port and the two telephone wires connected, finishing the telephone circuit.
4- In the smaller squarish port on the filter there should be a cable connecting the wireless router to the internet.

Once that's done, turn on your wireless router, go to Settings>Connectivity>Destinations>add new acc. point. Connect to your access point using easy set up and put the phone right next to the router during the 20 second process. Everything should be alright then.
If you don't have the easy set up button on your wireless router then set up the connection the same way except you have to connect by entering the wep/pre shared/whatever key.
Thats all the advice I can give you now, I can't guarantee 100% that it'll work but I am trying my best to research this problem. When I find out the solution, then I will post it here.
Hope you learn something from this.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stefen12345

hey ppl i bought a nokia 5530 oly for wifi..but now im nt able to connect to any open network..it says " invalid server name " pls help me out wit dis.....as soon as possible pls ppl...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Angge

Hi, can you help me. I am having this problem about "Invalid server name" thing. PLEASE. 

Please use plain text.