Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

nokia 5800 xpress music "INSERT SIM CARD ERROR"

negrabi247
Accepted Solution

nokia 5800 xpress music "INSERT SIM CARD ERROR"

Hi, 

i have a nokia 5800 xpress specifically model number 5800d-1  , TYPE Rm356 music phone, absolutely love it except a few weeks ago it started giving me an error that states "insert sim card".  

So to fix this I have to take out the battery and then take out the sim card and replace everything.  I end up doing this over 10 times a day.  at first I thought it only did it when the phone was in my pocket, because i thought it moved around and the sim might get dislodged or something.  

So i tried to stick a piece of folded up paper under the sim card to keep the card really tight in there, but the problem still persisted.  I go to sleep at night, dont touch the phone at all, and wake up it is saying insert sim card.  

then doing some further research on the internet through forums and blogs, it seems like this is a problem that many individuals have been having with this particular device.  This is pretty sad since  I paid around $400 for this phone when it came out.  and to top it off, the problem started just a few weeks after my warranty expired.  so now im stuck and dont know what to do.  

then i came across this website, http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f148/5800-insert-sim-836245/  , and they supposedly posted a fix, but all it is, is just a picture and i have no idea what it means.  something about changing the AVILMA. ?????? i have no idea what that means, i tried to email the person that created that post but no luck.  

I am in desperate need for someone to explain to me how to go about fixing this problem.  Personally I think nokia should take care of this even though its out of warranty, The phone looks brand new and i have taken such good care of it, and this is what I get, my brother ran over his Nokia phone and it still works. Someone please help me!!!

Please use plain text.
Professor
pudu

Re: nokia 5800 xpress music "INSERT SIM CARD ERROR"

it seems like sim card holder in phone is becoming loosy or conact points are dirts. So when you remove your sim wipe the contact points with plain paper but if the problem is to do with loosy holder better take it to nokia care
Please use plain text.
negrabi247

nah, i have wiped it many times. over and over, praying that this final wipe is it.  but no luck. 

now i have been reading on this forum for the past three hours and came across someone with the same problem and he suggested that the battery connection may be loose, and now to come to think  of it all this nonsense kind of started when i replaced the battery. 

so i just grabbed my old battery , the one that came with the phone, which just stopped working and looked at the connectors on the battery.  and i saw that the connectors had a much smaller gap in the original nokia battery compared to the connectors on the replacement battery.  So that just might be it, im going it, ill try in the morning to take a knife and to pull out the connectors on the battery so they are closer to each other and that way when i put the battery in the phone, the prongs will tightly fit inside the battery .  I hope it will work, and let you guys know.  

Please use plain text.
Professor
pudu

good idea,

I used a none working sim just beneath the battery so the base of connectors (not sides) are firm in contact by a packing pressurise the battery upward

I hope this is also another good idea
Please use plain text.
negrabi247

It worked, I cant believe that all it was.  OMG this phone was driving me crazy, and thats all it was -- the connection between the battery and prongs on the phone.  
Thats what i get for being a cheap **bleep**, my OEM battery was shot and instead of buying one from nokia directly or a proper store, i bought it off ebay, from some seller in china  thinking i got a great deal, because it was only five bucks! with shipping.  I knew it was too good to be true. And i got exactly what i paid for!!  the battery worked fine otherwise, and I couldnt put two and two together, that this problem started shortly after I got the replacement battery.  I thought maybe someone dropped my phone and thats what the cause was.  
but after readjusting the connectors on the battery, using  a needle to make the gaps between the connectors a little more closer the problem was solved.  I cant believe thats all it was, and it makes complete sense because most of the time the insert sim error came up was when the phone was not still, like in my pocket or in my hands, etc.  Its crazy that just a fraction of milimeter difference was causing the phone to do this.  I was sure that it was a hardware problem and I would be re-inserting my sim card forever.  But god bless the individual on this blog who wrote the post to fix this problem .  He was describing the same problem in a different model phone, so it took me forever to find that post, but im glad I did.  
So for anyone having this problem:
you just purchased a battery (from ebay, lol) or it could even be your pre-existing oem
and you get an error message stating 'insert sim card '
you take the sim card out and put it back and the phone is working fine again
but shortly after, the message comes back, and you notice it was mostly because the phone was moving around in your hands, or it was in your pocket, not so much when it is sitting still on a countertop, and you have to take out the sim card and put it back in, 
and this scenario happens over and over again---> THEN:
then chances are it may just be because of a loose connection between your battery and phone,  and just take a needle or something sharp and pull those connectors on the battery closer to each other so they have good contact with the prongs on the phone.  And what i also did was stick some paper about the thickness of a sim card directly under the battery and also on the opposite side of where the battery's connectors are, so it is in there really tight.   
It worked for me, and I tested it thoroughly to make sure that was the case, 
I put that phone in my pocket and ran a mile and when i checked it, it was still on and no damn error message.  whereas before if i just looked at it wrong it gave my the finger.  
So i just wanted to share this solution with everyone in the nokia community, I actually never respond to blogs but this time I definately had to, I guess if we combine everyone knowledge and experience well find the answer somehow.  And I did, so thank you.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tezza2924

thank you so so so much, this has been driving me insane!!! i have the original battery still but the connectors are loose so i'l get it sorted, again thank you!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TheGowge

Haha!! I've got the same problem, thanks for this :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mi55

Had a similar problem.

I put a small piece of card under the battery and then it worked.

This was after the micro sim in a simple mini sim carrier got stuck sideways in the sim slot. Ended up having to disassemble the N5800 to get it out......

Thanks negrabi247, helped me recover my map favs.
Please use plain text.