Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

nokia 700 network issue

Contributor
piach79
Accepted Solution

nokia 700 network issue

Hi all, this is my first post here and hope to write in the right section.

I have a nokia 700 (sw version 111.030.0609) and I noticed that sometimes data connection is kept open even if all applications are turned off and non data traffic is required. This happens for example when using wrt widgets that connect to internet.  Sometimes (I'd say randomly), after closing this widgets (they are not homescreen widgets) a process named WidgetUI still require connection (even if there is no traffic) and i have to manually kill him to make the E (for edge) or 3,5G icon disappear. This happens also sometimes with nokia store.

What can I do? This is a big problem mostly for battery life.

Thanks in advance

Andrea

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

Re: nokia 700 network issue

Sounds to me like you're not exiting the widgets or store completely and so they are running in the background. For example with the store you have to backup all the way to the main screen and then press the "X" in the bottom-left hand side of the screen.

Can you let me know which widgets they are that you are using? Are you exiting them properly (Menu - Exit)?
If I have helped you, please hit the star at the bottom of my posts - it's appreciated!
Don't forget if your problem is solved to press the "Accept as Solution" button.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
piach79

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I'll try that procedure to exit the nokia store (I used to press the red physical button until now).

Regarding wrt, I'm using an example of the nokia web tools suite, the RSS reader (I just customized the feed url). Since I can't find the source on the web I'll try to attach the code in a zip file. In this case I always exit the app by the close button and when I check Belle task manager I see that is empty. I had to install an advanced task manager to see that there was a service in background (WidgetUI) keeping the connection on.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

That's the problem with the store, can't use the red button as it still keeps it alive in the background.

As for WidgetUI, I haven't used wrt widgets in a while, but I do remember there being some issue with the process remaining open as these are meant to be set on your homescreen and allowed to access the network as and when they need.

I would suggest using an rss reader which is not wrt (I think Nokia moved from using wrt to qt a while back).
If I have helped you, please hit the star at the bottom of my posts - it's appreciated!
Don't forget if your problem is solved to press the "Accept as Solution" button.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
piach79

I hope that some of this issues could be resolved in Belle FP1.

Do you know if exists an app able to monitor all data traffic and close connections in case of 0 bytes sent/received for a specified amount of time? Ridiculous request? ;-)

Anyway thanks for the advice.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

There are apps to monitor data such as "Data Counter Widget", however these just tell you what's being used (might as well use the inbuilt log feature). Or you can use Kaspersky antivirus which has a firewall to block widgetui accessing the network... but you'll have to unblock it when you want to use it.

I'm not aware of anything which will automatically close any processes based on 0 bytes sent/received though.

Like I said before, I would remove anything running on wrt and use an rss reader from the store (or the inbuilt one).
Please use plain text.
Contributor
piach79

Hi, maybe I found a solution.

When I noticed the problem I was using the phone in "energy saver" mode (always on using the battery monitor app). Now that I turned off this feature, it seems that also wrt apps can shut down the connection when no data traffic needed.

Maybe this information will be useful for someone else. ;-)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

Odd... thanks for posting, I'm sure that will help someone if they search the forums and come across your post.
Please use plain text.