Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: nokia and microsft partnership

Sage
branu

nokia and microsft partnership

[ Edited ]

As I thought,Nokia and Mocrosoft partnership in mobile,have to wait and see If that´s good,Nokia will adopt Windows Phone as its primary smartphone strategy.So how much attention will the have for symbian3 ?..no wonder they have such a hard time bringing out new firmvare,seems they have been very busy with other thing,today I sell my Nokia share..meego was supposed to be compitable with Qt and therefore could be use with an N8 so where does that leave us now with symbian 3 phones...

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/02/11/open-letter-from-ceo-stephen-elop-nokia-and-ceo-steve-ball...

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

Interesting, but it doesn't show a great commitment to Symbian does it? Even if Nokia say otherwise.

I don't disagree with the strategy, but I must admit to be ing a bit concerned that the N8 might be left in limbo in a years time.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
JavierSantoyo

I'm agree, after this news I guess Nokia and the app developers will have little interest in the symbian^3 OS so I feel a little sad since I just got a N8 a month ago.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
telford_mike

[ Edited ]

Symbian is dead.

The new strategy means Nokia's existing smartphone operating systems will be gradually sidelined.

Symbian, which runs on most of the company's current devices will become a "franchise platform", although the company expects to sell approximately 150 million more Symbian devices in future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12427680

Please use plain text.
Sage
andycoydwilson

true N8 needs continuing development! Will it get W P 7 and would that be a bad thing? I like S^3 and was looking forward to S^4 but who knows what will happen now?
If this was helpful please click Star for Kudos

Phone history :-3210, 3100, 3200, 6230i, N73, N95-8GB, N97, N8, Lumia800, Lumia920, Lumia620, Lumia820, Lumia1020
Please use plain text.
granne

:smileysad:

What a sad day, to bad that it ended this way with symbian.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jezston

[ Edited ]

If we still get our big update, that fixes all the major problems with the N8 and gives us a new browser or at least Opera release a multi-touch capable browser, then I'll be happy enough with my N8 for the next 14 months I'm stuck with it, even if it does mean no more apps.

If development has been dropped, I'm going to be seriously peed off. My phone will in an instant have become totally worthless. I will have to start talking to my service provider to see if I can argue a return as the phone is not fit for purpose.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nomic

Yes, with buying the N8 I expected to buy a phone that was future proof and upgradable to Symbian 4.  I came back from HTC and Samsung because I did not like Windows on my phone.  Now to realise that all the promisses of Nokia and their commitment to their customers is just... let's call it .. an illusion.   Now I am not only **bleep** off... I also feel like being peed on by Nokia.    To make a long story short.. Nokia.. thank you but never again...  If you cannot honour a commitment, then you are not longer worth my hard earned money.

Cheers.

Nomic.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Merovech

The stupid Canadian is ruining a beautiful European company in less than a year. I already regret buying a N8.

Shame!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jezston

[ Edited ]

Also, is it any surprise that Nokia are ditching it's own Symbian and Meego platforms and dismissing Android for a Microsoft OS when the new head of Nokia USED TO WORK FOR MICROSOFT?!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Elop

Would anyone be surprised to find that Stephen Elop still has shares in Microsoft and will PERSONALLY do VERY NICELY out of the share value increase that will come from such a deal?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

It appears that N8 buyers will now be left in the same limbo that N97 buyers were left in by Nokia ... I wonder who Nokia expects will buy any of its existing hi-end smartphones that run an operating system that will be side-lined.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jezston

Also, from his statement yesterday:

"...what I’ve heard from our shareholders, operators, developers, suppliers and from you (Nokia Staff)."

Obviously not interested in listening to his CUSTOMERS.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TonyEnglish

I have a N97 - it was a shocking phone when it was released and only recently does it seem to have stabalised.  I vowed that it would be the last Nokia I ever owned.  However most of its problems seemed to be due to the OS on the phone.  If windows 7 was available on the N8 then I would seriously consider having one.  Nokia make good handsets, it's just they load them with a buggy OS which tends to get fixed over a period of years!

Please use plain text.
Sage
branu

Sold my share now and this was my lasy Nokia phone,of course they can talk that theres no synbian 3 or 4,no numbers anymoore since they will abandon It really soon,feels like they point there fingers to us 4-5 million users who have bought the N8,and the end of the day It´s still all about money,the share have gone down 10% here in sweden since they opened 1.5 hours ago,really clever guy..so now I have such a hard time making my mind up to which other company i shall use  from,don´t like the fruity company but sice i thing nokia plays in the same league i will switch to android...will propably be a LG 2X with 1080p movie recording...really is a sad day..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mindaugas44

[ Edited ]

I think many smartfone users will forget about the nokia, while they transit to windows. Very sad about symbian. As a mac user, I'll never look back at microsoft . Especially after such a trick with my money.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This post has been edited.Inappropriate use of words are not allowed in this fourm.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
atiff_uk

i am hoping upon hope that the n8 can run windows operating system..

Please use plain text.
Sage

I can't see that the N8 would be "upgradable" to Win7
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

atiff_uk wrote:

i am hoping upon hope that the n8 can run windows operating system..

The N8 will remain a symbian device so you are out of luck.

According to the nokia's developers forum symbian isn't dead and their will be many more symbian models released along with further development to the OS.  Whether meego is still alive is another question.

I'm not happy about them climbing into bed with microsoft though and have no plans to but a win7 phone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

WP7-specific limitations

• No system-wide file manager
  • No Bluetooth file transfers
  • No USB mass storage mode
  • Limited third-party apps availability
  • No Flash (nor Silverlight) support in the browser
  • Too dependent on Zune software for file management and syncing
  • No video calls
  • New ringtones available only through the Marketplace
  • Music player lacks equalizer presets
  • No multitasking
  • No copy/paste
  • No DivX/XviD video support (automatic transcoding provided by Zune software)
  • No sign of free Bing maps Navigation so far
  • No internet tethering support
  • No handwriting recognition support

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Having just read the article, it makes no mention of a time frame of when

WP7 will make it onto a Nokia phone. It could very well be several years down the line yet.

So, with that in mind I reckon Symbian^3 + QT will still be current and receive plenty of development and support for a good while yet.

I would hope that Nokia only releases one WP7 handset as a trial to test the market, and still keep Meego to see which OS the public prefers.

Cheers.

Ray

Please use plain text.