Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: nokia c3 wlan

Registered Member

nokia c3 wlan

ok, i have the c3. the wlan has found my network, but insists of connecting via the mobile web every time. i have change the setting in the modify internet connection setting to do not ask, as described in the manual. but either way the phone still uses the mobile web.

Is there a way to get the phone to ask which connection to use, or is this only available in the s60 software ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Menu > Settings > Connectivity > Destinations

Options > Default connection

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor

My c3 doesn't have that option menu>setting>connectivityWlan

then is no destinations option..

On the phone demo, it clearly shows that when the internet is activated, a lsit of connection options is offered. But my phone just uses the mobile web. If i turn the wlan on then it is 50/50 if it connects via the wlan. But if i come out of the web, then i have to disconenct then reconect to wlan to stand any chance of conneting. It just seems to be random.

Please use plain text.
iamrupert

If you go to Settings -> Connectivity -> WLAN and under Internet Connection set it to "Do not ask". That should sort it so it connects to the Wireless LAN when you are in range, otherwise it will default back to the mobile network.

Please use plain text.
Professor

With what applications do you see this problem ? (browser, email, ..)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nirvanamadliz

i am having the same prob with my wlan on the c3 and it is on all my  app on the internet no matter what i go on it will not use my wifi.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Well i got the phone from vodafone in the uk, and somebody else seems to have the same problem.

By the way i am the topic starter. I lost my account !

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/topic/64401-nokia-c3-wlan-problem/

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I'm using the phones own browser.

Please use plain text.
locksheath

I have the same problem. On some items when connected to the Wifi it will use it, e.g.'Go to address'. But on others e.g Commuinties it won't use the Wifi and switches to mobile internet without asking me. I'm using the Internet Connection - Do not ask option.

I hope this is a software bug and it will be fixed.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Well interestingly there is a software update for this phone.

http://www.nokia.co.uk/support/download-software/device-software-update

From reading the vodafone forum, it appears there are now several people in the uk with this problem.

Some people may not notice,and it may not bother them. But I bought this phone specifically because it had wlan. My phone is  being exchanged for a new one. I will post back if my new one has the same fault, Remember the fualt is not being able to select how the phone conencts to the internet. The phones pwn demo clearly shows you are offered a choice wlan or mobile web

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rsingh888

Have bought one today and it seems all the phones has same problem.

It always connect through mobile internet rather than wifi

Is anyone aware of update released from nokia yet.

Please use plain text.
Professor

I struggled in the past with 6300i which is also a WiFi enabled device with Series40 OS that it sometimes used WiFi and sometimes Packet data.

What I found useful was to have following configurations under menu>settings>connectivity>WLAN:

- "internet connection" as "ask first"

* This will bring up the pop-up each time the phone makes a network connection. It is sometimes annoying if the application opens and closes the network connection all the time. The good side is that you can always decide your self what to use WiFi or packet data.

- "wlan search" as "on"

* This will ensure that you have your saved WiFi always connected when in range thus making the connection procedure slightly faster.

Don't have C3 so cannot try, but if someone who has C3 could try and report back if these would change anything in the situation.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, but this will not work. I have tried. Even with the sim card out, the phone will not look for wifi. If you turn the wifi on and have a stored conenction in the c3, it "may" find/use the wifi connection. But this really is hit and miss.

What i found was, even when you have the wifi working. The phone switched between wlan and mobile web.

Please use plain text.
Professor

that sounds really strange behaviour indeed.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

the problem no matter what you do, there is no pop up.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Same here, very frustrating, on my review C3 - what on EARTH is the point in having Wi-Fi on board if the phone insists on using GPRS all the time. Nothing I've fiddled with has the slightest effect. 

Has to be a bug. Nokia?

Steve Litchfield
3-Lib (Tips/resources/Info for Nokia smartphones and Communicators) plus All About Symbian
Please use plain text.
Contributor

The silence from nokia and vodafone uk is just crazy. I first raised this issue with vodafone 10 days ago. And i'm still in the same place now. I though nokia would have responded with help or information by now.

Please use plain text.
charlieb11

[ Edited ]

TO ANYONE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION!!!!!

I have had this phone for a week and the WLAN has been very problematic!

To stop the phone from connecting to the GPRS instead of using the WLAN you must...

- Change all the settings to 'ASK FIRST', this includes the internet connection under connectivity and within the saved WLANS, each must have ask first selected.

- You must edit the packet data settings (under connectivity), it must say 'when needed' and then you must change the access point to a different point, e.g. Access point , then edit this access point, the alias can be anything (it is just a name), but the access point must be changed to the WLAN access point you are trying to connect to.

To find this access point code you must go to ...

Menu - settings - connectivity - WLAN - available wlans - then click edit on the WLAN you want to use. Look under 'Access point MAC', this should be a long list of numbers and letters separated by colons e.g. 1A:2B:3C:4D:5E:6E.

This works at home because you can save the WLAN and use the preferred access point, to make this work for 'hot spots' you will probably have to write down the access point code from the WLAN you want to use and create a new access point and change access points when you are using a different connection.

This works by saving specific access points to available WLAN locations.

If you need any more help or if this doesn't work for your C3 email me

Charlie

Moderator's note: We removed the email address mentioned in the message. Posting of personal information on the Nokia Support Discussions is not allowed.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Yeah, that will work,  thanks

But as i use mine in hot spots alot it makes using the wifi more complicated. At the end of the day there needs to be a software fix or product recall.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Well done for perseverance, but that's too geeky even for me. Nokia, we know you read these threads, please assure us that a firmware fix is imminent and that we should start trying Nokia Software Update etc.

Steve Litchfield
3-Lib (Tips/resources/Info for Nokia smartphones and Communicators) plus All About Symbian
Please use plain text.