Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: nokia n8 is turning into a joke. do not recomm...

Counsellor
conti1888

nokia n8 is turning into a joke. do not recommend any more

[ Edited ]

If you are consider buying this do not untill nokia start to deal with the bugs this phone has. I am finding more bugs as time goes by.

Now i was typing an sms as someone sent me one and its crashed the sms system and i cannot read my messages. Ever since i have got this i've noticed rudimentary errors. quite frankly the head of nokia software development or symbian should be sacked.

This is unacceptable and no phone should have the amount of errors this phone has. From the basic errors that I was willing to forget (proximity sensor during calls etc) to bugs such as WEB TV apps vanishing from home screen.

and they keep mounting up.

there is no option to mass delete sms either so i cant the sms' deleted. and its not letting me do it the normal way. This should not be the case in any phone. This is not a bug ofc but it just symbolises the state of symbian and lack of features.

i seriously hope the n8 return rate for christmas is sky high and nokia goes down hill. I am sorry but this is a capitalist environment and nokia are failing us with their poor schoolboy error coding.

great hardware, unbelievable engineering.

programming abilities of a group of 15 year old script kiddies.

If i was a prominent share holder of nokia i would DEMAND the head developers sacked. And their customer service, in terms of updates, have alot to answer for.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
portoghella

Re: nokia n8 is turning into a joke. do not recommend any more

All of us are waiting for a new release...... N8 is great but it has been sold before of time cause people was pressing Nokia. I guess next releases of firmware will implement a new OS depured by errors. Mine works fine but I know a lot of issues about this phone :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
conti1888

they have been delaying its release since early this year. Therefore there is NO EXCUSE for the amount of BASIC errors on this phone. Could you imagine Steve Jobs allowing his chief apple programmer to stay on if something similar occured.

if you read my posts you will see am usually supportive of nokia but its getting beyond a joke. thank god ive got ma iphone atm for texts.

anyone know a way to delete my texts? my convseration has deleted itself without me even wanting to.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

The N8 has had a serious problem which you don't even mention here, so I guess that you are one of the many lucky ones.

The SMS crash issue sounds like a rare thing, I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere. You CAN mass delet messaes in two ways:

(1) Tap Options>Mark/Unmark then select either to mark all read messages or all messages, then tap Options>Delete.

(2) Tap and hold any message you want to delete then select "Mark" from the pop-up menu. Once one message is marked, tap and hold any other message then a different menu appears where you tap Mark/Unmark>Mark.

The second method, essetial to delete grops of messages but not all, is cumbersome and certainly needs improvement, but you can't say the option doesn't exist.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

did you try to go to your msgs select inbox- options- mark/unmark all- options - delete

that does not work for you ? it works fine on my N8
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
conti1888

since this "sms crash "i cannot click on options in the inbox folder. it just jams. and i cannot delete the normal way, i.e pushing down on it for a few seconds (as someone said).

anyway to delete the messages from a computer? i.e what is the dir of them.

neways thanks alot for the constant help you find on here. maybe people like you should take over their customer service lol

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
conti1888

Sorry my bad. yeh there is an option to mass delete. but what i am meaning is, since the the fault I cannot even click on options in inbox folder to do this.

it works in other folders tho. and for some strange reason my conversations have all vanished.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
theStapler

does anyone have the problem where the N8 crashes and restarts once in a while? especialy whe you have a few apps open like the gps while listening to music.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
iseebird

My N8 lags a lot throughout the day and has been a problem for me since day one.  I have spoke to customer care and they told me to restore my phone which I did and I have more problems then I did before.  All of the Web TV, Wallpapers, Apps, and more have disappeared from the phone and you can't just go onto the Ovi store and get them back.  It took me a while to get everything back. I even backed up my phone prior and still I was missing everything. 

I'm looking forward to the new update.  I heard it was a minor update though but I did see the web browser and the home screen update and it looks promising. 

As I was typing this I was restarting my N8 and not It keeps getting stuck at the Nokia start up screen! 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Thundermax

Crashes also when u listen to music and u answer a phone call...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
iseebird

It also crashes when you don't do anything at all...
Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

I have never had a crash with my N8 and I use just about all the functionality - camera, bluetooth, radio, transmitter, facebook, twitter, internet via Opera, messaging, push email from Google, sync Google Calendar with my diary and sync Google Contacts with my Phonebook, and I've played with Ovi Maps, having downloaded all the UK maps.  Also after adjusting some of the settings I am getting very good battery life.  I am beginning to wonder if some of the problems are caused by the operator mucking up the N8 with their crapware.  Mine is a simfree direct from Nokia, so my phone has not had the software 'got at' by anyone else.  Can't help but wonder if most of the issues that other people experience may be caused by that.  Be interesting to see whether all the posters to these forums who seem to be really happy with their N8 and are having no problems have simfree, and whether the ones with problems have an operator's 'branded' phone.

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
iseebird

My N8 was directly bought from Nokia.com and is unlocked with no 3rd party software. My N8 lags so much its ridiculous, I just hope we get a update soon!

Don't get me wrong, I love the functionality of my N8 but I just wish it would stop freezing, crashing, and lagging on me all day long. Sometimes I might just be trying to open an email with no other programs running and it will lag big time.
Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Yes - mine too - but for me it is because when I get push emails it only gives me the header and subject - it is only when I say I want to read the email that it connects and downloads the full email, so I can handle a delay for that. In fact I would expect a delay while it downloads the full email.

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
iseebird

I wasn't being specific about the email. What I was trying to say it can be something as simple as checking an email or opening the web browser.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ranruobin

hi,

I did not have any of those problems. I found out that some of my friends had similiar problems when they run apps which stay resident in the memory for future actions.

I  am quite sure, if you backup your data and reload the firmware your problems are gone.

On the other hand I have to agree with you. If I was a senior manager of NOKIA, I would lay off the key people, who are responsible for the software. Not only the phone related software is bad, also the programming of OVI-suite and other support software is horrible poor.

Everytime I have to connect my phone to OVI I get some kind of trouble. .....phone is not connecting......software hangs during sync..........pictures and music sorting and handling is the poorest I have ever seen in my life.........no calendar...........OVI-store redirects you to the country where you are at the moment, so as a German I get only Chinese software when I am in China.....it is simply a endless list..........

Honestly I can see a similiar development with NOKIA like IBM. When this elephant was too heavy to move and change, the market did for them. Hope NOKIA is wiser and can change. It is still not too late to catch up with the competitors. But it is 5 minutes to HIGH NOON.

greetings

from China

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SnaxMuppet

The lag is starting to get annoying now. I didn't really notice it at first but the more I use it, and the more I have running at the same time, the worse the lag gets.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n8helpme

n8 is a big joke ,millions of problem with this phone
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Mawie66

I got the N8 almost a month now. And so far all my problems seem to be SMS connected. The threaded conversation feature is inconsistent. Some of my friends receive my sms thru the thread, but some don't. I have to go thru the inbox and respond from there. But that could be just network issues. When i send MMS, it gets stuck in the outbox and there's no way to delete it unless the whole thread is deleted. The MMS is sent, but the phone is indicating otherwise.

When someone is sending me an MMS, i wouldn't know about it until i turn the phone off and, then, on again. If i'm on the internet for a long amount of time, I have to turn the phone off and on to get my messages or otherwise the phone wil not indicate any incoming messages.

Same thing if i use the camera continously like taking videos and pictures. I've emailed Nokia about this but all the answer i get seems to be to wait for the software update next year. My N97 mini never had this problem. I am running V11.0.12 of the software.

Please use plain text.
Sage

When I read the problems people have with their N8 I am bemused. I use most functions on my phone and have very few problems. It does have some usability issue for me, and a few annoyances (particularly playing video back through HDMI) but generally it's great. Is it possible that different countries have received different versions of the phone?
Please use plain text.