Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

nokia n8 update time

Counsellor
conti1888

nokia n8 update time

seems to me nokia's hardware designers are at the top of their game, while their software engineers are trained to school boy level. Why on earth are we getting upgrades for subtitles when the phone has been buggy for months. Where is the priority! The market capitalization of nokia makes it one of the world's top companies, with substantial income. A company like this should take days and weeks to fix bugs not months.

If i were a shareholder id be demanding a new software team.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: nokia n8 update time

updates take time why?
time is needed to gather information you cant simply update software within days,info needs to be gathered,there is sim free models and operator variants again this takes time.another thing phones are not released worldwide on a massive scale they are released for selected markets first then slowly reach other parts of the world,again this takes time info needs to be gathered
so would you like
1-an update in a few days/with not much to offer
2-an update in a month or two with a reasonable amount of issues fixed WHICH TAKES TIME TO FIND THE ISSUES AND CAUSES

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Takurumotou

I would like my critical bugs fixed ASAP, please.

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

Having worked in computing since the start of computers, updating a system as complex as Symbian is non-trivial.  It is not just changing it to fix errors that takes the time - with something so complex it needs to be properly tested to ensure there is no knock-on effect of one change impacting somewhere else.  This testing process itself is very complex.  There would be a massive number of complaints if Nokia issued an ill-tested firmware update which itself was more buggy due to inadequate testing.

That having been said, there is a case to be made for an approach more like Microsoft's, where there are monthly 'security/critical bug fixes' and then periodically they release major updates for more extensive changes and modifications etc.  At least that way some of the relatively easy--to-fix bugs and critical issues could be in the field quicker - and I for one am happy to wait for a more substantial firmware update.

This approach would undoubtedly reduce the posts on these forums in a good number of areas, and also end up with fewer frustrated users.

My current phone - Samsung Galaxy Note
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

But surely if the testing process really was so complex, then we wouldn't have all these problems in the first place...

I hope Nokia have learnt some seriously fundamental lessons from the launch of the N8. They won't however actually feel the pain of this whole fiasco for some time until we're due to renew our handsets...

R

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

rooster1 wrote:

But surely if the testing process really was so complex, then we wouldn't have all these problems in the first place...

I hope Nokia have learnt some seriously fundamental lessons from the launch of the N8. They won't however actually feel the pain of this whole fiasco for some time until we're due to renew our handsets...

R

Whilst I understand your position, I will exclude myself from your 'we'.  Whether it is because I have a simfree Nokia-supplied N8 unencumbered by crapware installed by the operators or not, I have few of the seemingly critical issues reported on these forums. I do have some annoyances with the Ui, but am happy to await firmware updates to improve these over time, as I think the N8 hardware is superb, and am very happy with it.  So, for me, the N8 has in no way put me off Nokia.  Rather the reverse.  It proves handsdown that Nokia are capable of engineering the best devices in the world, and I believe we will see this trend accelerate.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
wenghus

[ Edited ]

I´m quite happy with my N8 except the completely useless webbrowser and little disappointing music player.I don´t know if people from nokia are watching what people write here then they would have updated and giving what people like.Seems to me that Nokia are releasing a product that are not completely finished and rely on the firmvare updates afterwards,don´t think thats the right way.by the time the product are fine nokia and other company has released many new phone.maybe that´s why Nokia keep loosing in value,,so they need to bring out good producs(not buggy) and update them faster or you will only see cheap phones from nokia in the future,no moore phones like N8..since nobody want to have them...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

I'm sure they do read us. The latest 'Video' update is the proof of that.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rolfsnolf

though i would like to hear some sound of how far, when the next big patch can be expected. Seeing all the info we now have is from a tweet from the nokia team in india. Think me and alot of more people are itching for the portrait keyboard for starters :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
Henker

krisq wrote:
I'm sure they do read us. The latest 'Video' update is the proof of that.

*If* that's true: Nokia, please fix the email problems !

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

[ Edited ]

wenghus wrote:

no moore phones like N8..since nobody want to have them...

Quite a sweeping statement this, which I disagree with - I want my N8, and I'm sure there are many others on these forums and throughout the world who are extremely happy with this great little phone.  Only today I dropped into a phone store in a local Tesco and asked them how well the N8 was going and they said extremely well, they had sold loads and they had had NO returns.  They also said that a staff member had one and they all loved it, and that they sold more Nokia phones than other brands because they were so easy to use.  Interesting perspective coming from people who are dealing with the public and selling all different brands and flavours of phones.

Please use plain text.
Sage
branu

[ Edited ]

Looks like we have to wait a little bit longer for a new firmvare for N8,finally someone from Nokia saying anything about the rumored update..

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/01/21/update-nokia-sweden-says-major-n8-update-due-later-spring-time-und...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

mikwag wrote:

rooster1 wrote:

R

Whilst I understand your position, I will exclude myself from your 'we'.  Whether it is because I have a simfree Nokia-supplied N8 unencumbered by crapware installed by the operators or not, I have few of the seemingly critical issues reported on these forums. I do have some annoyances with the Ui, but am happy to await firmware updates to improve these over time, as I think the N8 hardware is superb, and am very happy with it.  So, for me, the N8 has in no way put me off Nokia.  Rather the reverse.  It proves handsdown that Nokia are capable of engineering the best devices in the world, and I believe we will see this trend accelerate.

Fair comments MikWag. You're clearly well into your N8. The main issue I have with the handset is its inability to be used as a phone. I like many others have problems with the proximity sensor where calls are put on hold or ended by the screen being in contact with my cheek. I don't think it's asking too much for the handset to be capable of making calls. My first mobile 16 years ago did it perfectly well. This is my second N8 handset because the first died after 3 days and wouldn't charge. The naff music player I can live with as I have an iPod which Nokia have failed miserably at copying. Are you saying that as yours is SIM free these issues are network specific? If so, many of us on this forum should be posting elsewhere. Selling futures by promising upgrades etc is unnacceptable. The product clearly hasn't been through sufficient testing.

R

Please use plain text.
Sage
mikwag

[ Edited ]

rooster1 wrote:

mikwag wrote:

rooster1 wrote:

R

Fair comments MikWag. You're clearly well into your N8. The main issue I have with the handset is its inability to be used as a phone. I like many others have problems with the proximity sensor where calls are put on hold or ended by the screen being in contact with my cheek. I don't think it's asking too much for the handset to be capable of making calls. My first mobile 16 years ago did it perfectly well. This is my second N8 handset because the first died after 3 days and wouldn't charge. The naff music player I can live with as I have an iPod which Nokia have failed miserably at copying. Are you saying that as yours is SIM free these issues are network specific? If so, many of us on this forum should be posting elsewhere. Selling futures by promising upgrades etc is unnacceptable. The product clearly hasn't been through sufficient testing.

R

Hi Rooster - don't think I am unsympathetic to your problems - it is very frustrating to have the sort of problems you are having.  However I have had no such problems, and on visiting a phone outlet in my Tesco store recently I was told by them that they had shifted a lot of N8s and had none returned.  Perhaps they went back to Nokia ....? Nor am I pointing the finger at the networks, for loading the phones with crapware, although as an ex-IT guy, I can't see that that would AVOID issues, especially when some of them disable features on the phone and various other things.  I am just saying that it is curious that I have had none of these problems, and I know of at least one other guy who reloaded the firmware having unlocked his phone, and it appeared to remove the problems he was having.  I should add that this is NOT a route I would recommend - if you buy their phone then you must put up with them meddling with it - part of the contract.  That is why, after previous experiences, I went for a sim-free N8 bought direct from Nokia.  That having been said, Nokia have admitted that some of the N8s shipped DID have problems and it seems you may have had 2 of these - if so, you have been very unlucky.  It doesn't stop the N8, as far as I am concerned, being a great bit of kit that I have no problems with, and yes, I am even beginning to really love it.  As the most voluble people (no criticism of you personally) are understandably likely to be those with problems, then forums like these CAN give a very one-sided view - that all N8s are **bleep**.  I just wanted to redress the balance a bit.  From where I sit, I am very happy with mine.  I hope you get your problems sorted soon, and that you hang on in there long enough for the upcoming firmware updates.  The potential is for this phone, with better firmware, to be a real winner all round.

Please use plain text.
Professor
babis3g

i am reading now the updates may move for spring which means march,april or may
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yeah, but did they say WHICH Spring?

R

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

[ Edited ]

I read this post with interest and it does cover most of my thoughts too.

I like my N8, but I wish it had a better browser, better email client, bluetooth through Ovi Maps and a better music player.

I'm sure many others do too.

But why do we see Updates for things like DAB Radio, Video Update, Theme Update, Big Screen App etc ... when most users would like to see the core functions dealt with?

I don't need subtitles to watch a video so it's not essential for me.

I don't own the DAB headset needed for the DAB Radio feature so thats useless to me also.

I've set and only like one preinstalled theme so the update was pointless to me.

Big screen is good, but wasn't essential.

And therein lies what I feel to be the problem at Nokia.

It was mentioned that Microsoft do "Update Tuesday" patches followed by major updates as needed. Emergency plugins for exploits can come within hours if needed.

And these serve millions of user worldwide with only a few minor glitches that can be easily ironed out.

Other handset manufacturers have done similar too when major issues have affected there handset.

Nokia on the other hand, release a competent phone which is sorely in need of fixes, but choose to delay and even prolong releasing needed and desired updates, instead choosing to add new features which, if to be honest, we could've carried on without along with newer models with the same failings.

And my fear is that, as was loosely mentioned by Wenghus, people will start to look elsewhere because, at the end of the day, why go thru all that hassle again?

As I said, I like my N8 a lot (Oh, by the way, it's my 2nd one but I won't mention the power down issue) but my contract is up in August. As was previously posted, will I still be waiting for " Another Late Update" or will the grass on the other side be much, much greener?

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Sage
Henker

greycounciller wrote:

But why do we see Updates for things like DAB Radio, Video Update, Theme Update, Big Screen App etc ... when most users would like to see the core functions dealt with?

Great post, just a /me too. But... if the upcoming update is as *flawless* as the recent "Social" update, most likely, the device will be dead afterwards.

Come on Nokia. Get the email probs fixed first.

Seriously, subtitles on a phone, gimme a break.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Thewonderer

@Henker

"Seriously, subtitles on a phone, gimme a break."

Actually there are some of us who use the HDMI output or compressed video output. I like that update.

But i honestly also think that Nokia should boooost up its software. I am "happy" with my n8 cauz of its functions. if u compare it with the smartphones that u find on market then n8 is a pretty good competitor. But i agree there are a lot of bugs and i also think that they really need to work on their software part.

I am curiously waiting for the next update. But i give up that i am disappointed with the updates that i have received. 

Please use plain text.