Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

nokia n86 8mp broken usb charger port

nokia n86 8mp broken usb charger port

I recently got the n86 8mp on contract. After using the phone for about a month the usb/charger port became loose and fell inside the phone, making it impossible to charge the handset. The phone was repaired by CPW and returned to me. Within 2 weeks the exact same thing had happened yet again and i took the phone back to CPW for repair again!! After having the phone for over 4 weeks they contacted me to say the phone had been repaired by Nokia (even though it was sent to a 3rd party repair centre not Nokia!). Upon collection of the phone i noticed that the usb was completely missing!!! Now CPW are saying that it wont be repaired due to the port being damaged through misuse!! Has anyone else had this happen to their phone? Trying to find out if it is a recurring problem or just the fact that ive been unlucky and got a dodgy handset. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: nokia n86 8mp broken usb charger port

I had the same problem after only having the phone a month.  Went to the carphone warehouse about it, they sent the phone away to nokia, it came back and all they had done was flash the firmware, but the usb bit had been fixed down so someone noticed.  Took it home tried to charge it, shockingly enough it wasnt fixed, the usb bit fell back into the phone.  Went back to get it sent away again, about a week later i picked the phone up with the message that nokia are refusing to fix it due to water damage!  The phone was practically brand new, and i kept it in a sleeve, never anywhere near water, damp or steam.  Its a total cop out on nokias part, now im stuck in a 2 year contract with a phone thats goosed! Took it to a few phone shops that say its not water damaged but they cant fix it, Nokia dont wanna know though.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I got the same problem, the usb port fell into the phone. Didn't want to wait to get my phone work, I went to a phone shop directly without asking nokia.

For 60 euors, in 1 day, the fixed my phone. Its a glitch from this type of phone (the sailer from the shop said that more and more smart phone, and not only nokia brand got this sort of connection, and said it was very breakable)

To be more particulare, the port is directly connect with 3 spits to the mother board of the phone without any plastic support. (one spit to strenghten and the other two to connect to the motherboard) Actually, if you get lucky (dont damage the MB) only the spits are broken , its easy to repair (3 points of solders), if not, youre in trouble, youll have to change the mother board, rather change the phone I think.

One advice with these sorts of charge/usb port, be very gentle with it all the time !!! 

Please use plain text.

Thats interesting!! Same company used for previous repairs and sounds like they done exactly the same to my phone as they did yours. Im taking mine into an independant retailer tomorrow to see if they can fix it but i have been told to take the issue further as it isnt complying to trade description laws. (which state the goods must be supplied in working order etc) these phones obviously are not being supplied in working order for them to break within a month!!! ill let you know if i have any joy with this shop tomorrow and with taking it further, as i do believe that if we all make the same complaint maybe something will be done!!! These handsets are not cheap and it really doesnt make me want to get a nokia handset again if the customer service is not gonna be up to scratch!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Buning09

Same thing happened to me. Charging the phone. When I woke up pulled the usb charger. THe port dropped inside. I WILL NEVER BUY ANY NOKIA PHONE AGAIN. Will be blogging this all over town. Two bad phone from nokia is enough. I am done with nokia. First was my N97 which always hangs up on me. Now this N86 which have the charger problem and not only that, recurrently it turns off as I slide the phone. Tried sending ti to Nokia but to no chance they would not repair as to misuse. What is the misuse in Charging a phone?

I have one question guys. Whay are car companies recalling their cars when this nokia cannot? For sure I will be blogging this all over country and town. DO NOT BUY NOKIA!

Reason not to buy Nokia:

1.  Poor build quality.

2. Very bad support and lastly.

3. Lastly, you would suddenly have damage to your phone that really did not happen.

Crazy Nokia!

Please use plain text.

Re: nokia n86 8mp broken USB charger port

This really is the worst nokia that I have ever owned. Im in the middle of taking this through trading standards. There is obviously a problem with this charger port because I have had a few people say they have have the same problem now and nokia have said exactly the same!!! How can you misuse a phone charger?!!!!!!! Im not trying to plug my bloody hairdryer into it!!!! Nokia really do need to get a grip and admit they have made a **bleep** phone. *rant over!!!* well for the moment anyway!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
trojantank

I thought my daughter had just been unlucky with her N86 as the charger port stopped working after 2 weeks. We took it to the Nokia service centre in Stoke On Trent, they sent it away and so far so good, it works. My N86 has lasted nearly 12 months but now I notice that the port is starting to play up.

Why on earth don't Nokia do something about this obvious design flaw. My old N95 had problems with the port but it was easy to buy a replacement and fit it myself. The N86 will take a great deal more skill so I am not sure whether I want to try and tackle it myself or not. If Nokia refuse to repair it, then I guess I will have to.

Such a shame that a problem like this exists on what I think is a great phone. Come on Nokia, SORT IT OUT!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
deenairn

Exactly the same fault has happened to me after around 5 months of phone owenership, and coincientally happened when I started to charge the phone via the supplied USB cable as opposed to the mains charger (I had lost the mains charger). Initially the charging connection felt a little insecure, and then after a little while it wiggled it's way loose, and the phone would refuse to charge.

Initially I took it to my local Carphone Warehouse, as I am in Edinburgh and this is our 'official' Nokia service station. They repaired it locally but unfortunately that repair lasted two weeks before wiggling loose again. The guy at the time had said it'd be sent down South to get repaired and get new 'clips' because it is a known fault that these phones have dodgy clips to hold down the charging socket, and the new ones supplied by Nokia are better. This time it got sent down to Nokia, and Nokia have replied saying the phone is both water damanged and the USB cable connection is broken, therefore they will not replace the part due to customer damage. I dispute this for two reasons:

1. The phone has never been near water, let alone submerged. If the phone cannot take rainwater from within my pocket, it is not fit for purpose.
  2. It is imposssible to take the charger out of the USB socket without moving the connection once the clips are unhooked, so inevitabley this is broken.

I am still to pick up my phone from the Carphone Warehouse, but apparently they take pictures to highlight the damage. I cannnot wait to see them, maybe an engineer has deliberately spilt a glass of water all over it. I've never felt angry enough to take a complaint to Trading Standards before, but for a phone that sells for £300 off both Play and Amazon on pay-as-you-go, frankly I'd expect more from Nokia, but apparently they don't want to know. It is clear that Nokia know of the fault based on what the staff member at Carphone Warehouse initially said to me, they are just trying to shirk they're obligations.

Please use plain text.
Covert

Oh dear, don't like the way this is going as I have just returned from the nearest approved service centre having being told my phone is un-repairable because of this fault. I was also told it would be viewed as physical damage caused by misuse so wouldn't be covered under the warranty anyway.

So here I am, being told that charging my phone is misuse or that I use a hammer to plug it in or something. Six months into the an 18 month contract I've got used to phone and really like it, the camera is the main reason I chose the phone and it is superb.

I will be pursuing this issue as it is clearly a manufacturing/design flaw in the product, the guy at the service centre said he had seen quite a few and about 50% of them were repairable. His first question when I produced the phone for examination was " who told you this was a warranty repair?" Which suggested to me that they've had issues with this issue!

I will contact the supplier of the phone next (buymobilephones.net) and see what they are prepared to do about it. 

Fingers crossed, I'll post whatever info comes to light.

Please use plain text.

My N86 has just suffered the same fate. I look after my phones and am quite disappointed that I've had this one fail on me within 6 months. I'm hoping it will repaired it under warranty, but even so it seems likely it will break again. It's not good that Nokia can release a phone with such an obvious design issue.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
oasis_77

I have had all of the above issues and since I now have no way to charge the phone (neither charge cable or USB will charge the phone or even register with the phone!!) I have taken it back to T-Mobile for repair.  Will see what happens and update but if I do get it back fixed I am going to buy a desktop BL-5K battery charger (Google it!) and a spare battery and use that.  I really like this phone apart from the charging issues.

P.S.  When I took it to the shop, I deliberately asked the guy to check for water damage and told him to note on the report that there was none.  He said its not uncommon for phone companies to use this get out clause!!!

Please use plain text.
Covert

Quick update,

I have had my phone collected by UPS and it's on-line status is "product received, in repair" I took several macro shots of the phone before sending for reference as I've heard rumours of phones being returned to customers in worse condition than they were sent. Also the pics clearly show the water damage indicator patch ( still white). Also I included a letter stating that I would not accept any excuses or blame for this fault and that I expected the phone to be returned in working order with no cost to myself.

Nokia have had the phone for almost a week now, fingers crossed they will fix it and return it. If this is the case I too will be going down the spare battery and desktop charger route to try and make this phone at least last the length of my contract.

Hopefully some good customer service at this point will restore my faith in Nokia and their products.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

Good luck to you, Covert.
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.
Covert

Well, I had a delivery from UPS today. After expecting the worst I was pleasantly surprised to find a brand new replacement N86 8MP in the package. The new unit is on charge now, I very carefully plugged it in and the port feels nice and firm in the housing, just as well as the new connection is a tighter fit than the original.

I now intend to purchase a new battery for the phone with a desktop charger and use this method of charging in future. I hope this will at least enable me to see out the duration of the contract with this phone. If anyone knows of a reputable supplier of good quality batts and chargers I would be grateful for a recommendation.

For those who have yet to get this issue successfully resolved maybe it is worth trying a firm but reasonable letter placing the responsibility on Nokia to rectify problem as this seemed to work in my case.

Good luck folks.

Lee

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

For those who have yet to get this issue successfully resolved maybe it is worth trying a firm but reasonable letter placing the responsibility on Nokia to rectify problem as this seemed to work in my case.

That goes for any problem  . CS are going to take more notice of your letter than the ones who write in capitols bleeps and swear never to buy Nokia again . In my experience even when you may not be in the right  a pleasant approach works best .

jje

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jones8430

I came across this site as I was looking how to connect my n86 via usb

I have my new (but came in refurbished box) n86 from three today It came with a micro usb cable but there is no micro usb connection on the phone,It has a similar connection which is narower the the micro usb,this is used for charging,There is also no mention of a usb connection in the manual,So I guess they have fixed this problem by removing the usb connection on the phone

The only way to connect no is via bluetooth which I havnt got on my computer so I dont know how to tranfer files

any one else with this new type of connection?

Please use plain text.