Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

nokia n97 firmware v2.0

Counsellor

Re: nokia n97 firmware v2.0

well if thats the case, then at first thy shouldnt hve released the phone intially. as it has many defects, hardware wise as well as software. they can improve on software, but what bout hardware?

Please use plain text.
Sage
dchewitt

Actually, alot more than 3 but lets not be bitter!
Current Devices:
N900, N97, 5800 & iPhone.
nukea - we will get the perfect device in the end (but not this year!)
Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

OK that annoys me abit, i'd be ok if they were gonna release it this month
n97.
Please use plain text.
Sage
dchewitt

Better not be November - they promised October at the Nokia World 2009.

If it's not out in October ---- bye bye N97

Current Devices:
N900, N97, 5800 & iPhone.
nukea - we will get the perfect device in the end (but not this year!)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

if thats the case, then at first they shouldnt have released the phone at first. since it has many defects, hardware plus software. they can update teh software but what bout the hardware?? and considering the amount we paid thay should have testing of the phone
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

paliometoxo wrote:

someone on a nokia n9y7 forum i use says he spoke with nokia tech line in england and said they told him that v20 would be about mid november now... i dont know how true that is but im happy to wait as long as it takes... better nokia release a firmware buglesss rather then full of bugs..

i still think nokia suck for releasing firmware country by country and not to everyone..

why do they do that ?

I wouldn't believe a word that they say on the "tech line" in the UK.  They are very unreliable script readers that have a bad habit of making things up.

It is annoying the way that releases are staggered.  Some countries get much worse treatment than others.  

There's many theories and rumours as to why it happens but never seen an official plausible reason.

Message Edited by psychomania on 16-Oct-2009 12:37 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

am not surprised with the info......nov the release date...:smileyhappy::smileyhappy::robottongue:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Some people really will believe anything :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

im not sure how much i believe it either.. sorry he said end of november not middle...

but i guess we will see .. it wont be long now.

im very happy with v12 just a few minor bugs like the ringtone problem when someone calls me it plays that annoying default nokia tune sometimes even when i have a mp3 or video set to play and mp4 play badly and sometimes crash and freeze due to lack of ram even when i run nothing nokia should of put more ram it cant handle mutly tasking very well.

Message Edited by paliometoxo on 16-Oct-2009 12:45 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

uh oh my phone just froze on start up
n97.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

All we know for sure is that no one knows.  Take all rumours with a pinch of salt, then sit back and wait for it to be released in our respective countries.

It's funny watching people on other forums get all upset when rumours turn out to be lies.  If people choose not to believe them then they will not get upset but instead be pleasantly surprised if one comes true. 

That is all we can do at the moment. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

and whats even more funny is when they get angry they blame nokia and scream damn nokia im gonna buy a iphone they lied to us they are ******'s damn them to hell.. so funny because they sit there screaming nokia promised us this date when all along it was just rumours that aparantly they believed.. which is why i dont bellieve this guy even though he said he spoke to tech nokia people
Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

[ Edited ]

Someone said it would be released same date as the nokia n97 mini

Oh by the way when they say next month they mean this month cos some of the posts were submitted in September

Softsailor:

"The Nokia N97 firmware 2.0 will become available sometime next month"

Engadget:

"the company is crafting a rather hefty new update that'll be available next month"

Cnet Au:

"Nokia will push the update out to users of the N97 as an over-the-air firmware update and can be found in the Nokia Software Update app when it's made publicly available in October."

Wikipedia:

"20.0.0.5 due in October 2009"

Mobile Burn:

"The Nokia N97 is set to receive a major firmware update that will available in October, bringing the backbone to version 2.0 and making notable improvements, a Nokia spokesperson says."

N97fanatics:

"Sadly we will have to wait until October for the N97 firmware 2.0 to come out."

Thenokiablog:

"The firmware is going to be available in Software Update this October."

So basically everyone is saying October

Message Edited by St3ph3n on 16-Oct-2009 11:20 PM
Message Edited by St3ph3n on 16-Oct-2009 11:21 PM
n97.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

All of which are based on the "October" comment made at nokia world.

Fact is none of them know the real date which could be 1 day, 1 week or even 1 month from now!

There are no guarantees as to when it will be released. 

Message Edited by psychomania on 16-Oct-2009 01:23 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

[ Edited ]
Oo interesting. but sometimes i do wish they give a set date on when they begin to roll out
Message Edited by St3ph3n on 16-Oct-2009 11:42 PM
n97.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Staggered firmware releases are down to how demanding a specific market/country is i.e. we get it late in this region (UK) because we're less tolerant of bugs. Other regions are used to "test"? Otherwise they would have to "support" the global market for a given device at the same time.

On the other hand, devices for different regions are built at different production sites around the world so maybe it's to do with how efficiently each region operates and is able to respond to issues...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

All i want is a device with firmware that works as intended. Without stupid bugs. If we have to wait, we wait. It had better be worth it. Maybe nokia is trying a new revolutionary technique called "product testing"! This amazing new process may relieve customer dissatisfaction with the n97 with a nearly bug free firmware release. Well we can dream cant we? Sigh. What happened to the days when things just worked out of the box?
Please use plain text.
Professor
phatdumi

[ Edited ]

If  V2.0 rolls out with the mini why would they hold back releasing for the N97? There is a video reviews that confirms that the mini will roll out with version 2.0. So if there no problems with the N97 handling V2.0 then some markets will be getting it any time from now BUT......Seen this vid

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/technology_and_gaming/watch/v190866017r3s3nfK

Message Edited by phatdumi on 19-Oct-2009 12:37 AM
Hit Kudos if I Helped out.
Nokia 3310-> 8810->N95->N95 8Gb->
Nokia N97 Black v21.0.045 RM-505 Code-0585162 (handset No 3)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Warning... Rant coming!!!  anyone adversely effected by rants should not 'UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE' read this post!!!!!

@phatdumi, isn't it obvious by now?  You've ask the right question...  now for the answer ask 'what is the difference between the N97 and N97 mini?... 

Answer: The N97 mini has 512Mb phone memory to store all those extra new goodies in V2.0.

Now the Nokia software technicians have been instructed (with the threat of job loss), to magic the 256Mb NAND on the N97 into 512Mb as it is on the mini....

They are working night and day on it.. since they can see the commercial implications of producing this new invention, just think you the N97 user will be happy AND Intel / Samsung / LG / Kingston / Simpletech / Transcend / Samdisk and all the other memory manufacturers will pay handsomely for this new invention.

The only problem is that it's not working just yet, so you will have to wait a little longer for your v2.0 firmware.  But don't worry, Nokia announce for Oct or "Coming weeks' in the latest reports, so it won't be long.  I bet they are really wishing that they didn't mix those N97 with the N97 mini videos in that demo now.

Please use plain text.