Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

phone start-up failed contact the retailer N80

Registered Member

phone start-up failed contact the retailer N80

Hi
after updating my nokia 80 software , Icant power up my mobile instead I got this massage

phone start-up failed contact the retailer

any one have a soulotin plzzzzzzzzzzzz send it

thank you
Employee
adamf

Re: phone start-up failed contact the retailer N80

When your phone states "contact the retailer" its a terminal error.
This cannot be fixed at home, you will need to take it to a Nokia Care Point.
You can find the one nearest to you at the Store Locator
My posts are my opinion and in no way the direct views of Nokia.
If my posts are helpful, please give me some KUDOS using the green star on the left.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi najdy98

I have a suggestion for you but unfortunately it would lead to loss of data on phone.

Take the battery out for 10 minutes and then replace and see if that makes any difference.

If not try the "3 finger reset" which is depress these three keys simultaneously "*" "3" "green phone" and then power on phone whilst keeping those same three keys depressed until you hear Nokia start-up tone.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Employee
adamf

Whatever happens now, he has already lost any information he had on his phone.
Once that message appears, for whatever reason, think of it as the "blue screen of death" you get with a pc.
My posts are my opinion and in no way the direct views of Nokia.
If my posts are helpful, please give me some KUDOS using the green star on the left.
Registered Member

I did try holdin the 3 keys but nothing happen I will try to remove the battery for a while and hope it will work.

But I have a feeling is what adamf said is what gonna happen

thank you both for your help
Registered Member

I found a rather odd fix to this problem. My girlfriends N80 had also failed after updating to a new firmware version. I received the same message as you.

However I found that for some reason the phone powered up with out a sim card in it for some odd reason. It allowed me to set the time zone, time and date. After this the phone went to the normal screen. So after this happened I tried the phone with a sim card again and it worked if when it asks if you want to continue using the phone with out a network connection you say yes. The phone booted up normally then if I hit the power button and put the phone into "normal" mode everything worked fine. I could even turn the phone on and off with no problems.

So here is the quick version:
-Phone crashes and gives "phone start-up failed contact the retailer" message after update.
-Try starting the phone WITH OUT a sim card
-If it works shut it down
-Insert sim card and DO NOT turn on the network when asked
-After booting push the POWER button and select the "NORMAL" setting.

I don't know if this will work for all cases but it seemed like an odd fix that might be worth trying for other people

Hi. I am also facing this issue after the firmware update to version 5, and i tried as you say. Well....it does work that way, but when ever i switch off the phone and switch it back, it still keeps on asking me to set the date and time. The funny thing is, at that point if i just say "ok" to the default date & time and quickly move on, the phone boots fine. However I cannot goto the Clock or the Settings, as it gives me a System error. What I do to get those to work, is to change the profile to "offline" and then back to "general", as then everything works normal.

I wish i never updated my phone and i wish i had my previous firmaware version back. Looks like all of us will have to find a service person to get it fixed.
Contributor

I bet you are still laughing about imagining people actually trying to do this in their most desperate moment of need..........
Registered Member

[ Edited ]
While i was trying the "three button trick", i was thinking, "this guy on the forum tricked me nicely", but it actually worked..
Thanks buddy

Message Edited by sycojt on 06-Jan-2009 01:15 PM

I tried to update my Nokia 6680. After the painful wait time of Firmware Update, the Firmware got installed. When the phone restarted, it told me Phone Start-up Failed contact the retailer. 

I used * + Green + 3 which actually formats the phone from any content on the C drive. Always make sure that you have had removed the Memory Card or else it will get corrupted. I learnt that in a hard way.

The above on did worked. 

Registered Member

hello adamf look my nokia 5800 says that but here is the thing Im in costa rica I bought my nokia in new york like 5 months ago and I lost the invoice what could I do in this case to receive the warrantly and send the phone??

is there something that you or I can do?

please I will apreciate if you help me with that.

Registered Member
IbnAbbass

Hello every one I have Problem during the update process of my Nokia 5800 xpressmusic during the downloading the updates the connection of the internet failed and then later I have connected to the internet then I have been resumed downloading and completed successfully  the update and then my phone restarted then when I traded to to navigate it  phone start-up failed  contact the retailer message displayed  so if u have any suggestion please help me Ismall Saeed (Ethiopia)

Registered Member
alexanderjohn

You need to do a hard reset to sort your problem,

On the symbian touchscreen handsets like N97, Express music 5800 it is done by simultaneously pressing the Caps shift, Space bar, Delete button and Power button while booting up.

Here's a link: http://thenokiaguide.com/2009/08/11/tip-of-the-day-how-to-hard-reset-the-n97/

I hope this helps :smileywink:

Registered Member
ifahsoandso

Okay , so i found a way . this method can be use for ANY TOUCH PHONE , cus mine is 5530 (: - Remove the sim card . - Start the phone - Set the date and time - INSERT the sim card back ( do not power off th phone then insert , DO NOT ! ) - Then , you power off the phone , after sim card was insert in , even though is still in offline mode. - Power on Back , - DO NOT , continue in OFFLINE MODE , do NOT ! - phone make sure is set in General already - done ! (:
Advisor
vvrksarma

My friend, your suggestion has worked great. Thank you!!

Advisor
vvrksarma

<<Phone crashes and gives "phone start-up failed contact the retailer" message after update.
-Try starting the phone WITH OUT a sim card. Change the phone profile to OFFLINE.
-After booting push the POWER button and select the phone profile to "GENERAL" setting.>>

And this message is related to network problem by the service provider. Nothing to do with any download or software upgradation.

Registered Member
NhuHuong235

Yes it sounds weird but it does WORK on my x5-01

arkguil84 wrote:
I found a rather odd fix to this problem. My girlfriends N80 had also failed after updating to a new firmware version. I received the same message as you.

However I found that for some reason the phone powered up with out a sim card in it for some odd reason. It allowed me to set the time zone, time and date. After this the phone went to the normal screen. So after this happened I tried the phone with a sim card again and it worked if when it asks if you want to continue using the phone with out a network connection you say yes. The phone booted up normally then if I hit the power button and put the phone into "normal" mode everything worked fine. I could even turn the phone on and off with no problems.

So here is the quick version:
-Phone crashes and gives "phone start-up failed contact the retailer" message after update.
-Try starting the phone WITH OUT a sim card
-After booting push the POWER button and select the "NORMAL" setting.

I don't know if this will work for all cases but it seemed like an odd fix that might be worth trying for other people