Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: video calling e71

Contributor
rizanx01
Accepted Solution

video calling e71

Hi, can I video call form my e71 to my PC (or mac). I have downloaded Skype and Fring  and tried to call myself from Mac but no video options are available. The instructions for Fring suggest you just opt for video call - but it;'s not there. Searched on the net and a lot of people say they are doing it - like it isn't an issue. Wondering if it could be an 02 thing? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

when you open contact select options, there is no video call option?

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rizanx01

Hi - yes I get that option form my normal contacts. When I try I get Network doesnt support video call (02). However I am trying to use skype and Fring with my wireless network at home and can't see any video call options?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Professor
amblors

with a normal call, you need to be in 3G covered area for video call option to show up. added to that you need to have 3G enabled in settings. I dont know about using your fone via your PC, i dont really get wot you mean there.
Fring has stopped skype video call and mayb skype totally, not so sure anymore but i am certain the video call has been stopped coz they were threatened by Skype.
the skype fone client on the other hand doesnt support video calling.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rizanx01

Thanks. That has answered my questions, basically I can't video call from Fring or Skpe.  What I mean by mobile video call to PC is to use Skype (or something similar) on PC, with webcam,  and have a video call to my mobile phone.

Are there any apps on nokia that support video calling available now?

Thanks for your help so far.

Please use plain text.
Professor
amblors

i think the only way you would make video calls is in a 3G service zone and with 3G enabled on the device. That would be phone to phone.
but using skype, i cant think of any.
fring was the only one to my knowledge offering this service on symbian, sorry , its gone.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rizanx01

Well thats a shame, would have been useful to me. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Professor
amblors

rizan ,I think you can still make video calls using fring but only to fring members.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rizanx01

thanks - would have liked to skype home from my phone while away on business and the family use skype on my imac - not to be I think..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
E71andE73

Fring works well... phone to phone (fring to fring). Fring used to use Skype's back end, but they got into a "tiff" and were forced to stop using Skype. Boo on Skype!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
nsaini10

ok now can i call a video calling. phone to pc now??? In any software ??
I am not so rich to afford a Signature,
Please use plain text.
Sage
aet419

There aren't any proper application available on symbian platform yet for making phone - pc/mac video call. in some blog I read Skype is thinking about introducing video calling in symbian platform. Nimbuzz is also considering video calling in there further release
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ajithchanaka

We are poor guys using nokia. I am also waiting video call to pc from my nokia 701 since few months ago. I think there is hidden reason not to have video calls in nokia. It is better to go anroid market.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
orelmike

I have been scouring the web for solutions to this problem.

However, it would appear that :  Skype does not allow video calls on Nokia E71 !!

I have even posted on the Skype forum itself.  It's amazing how many people have asked the same question.

Surprisingly, there have been NO responses.  Which leads one to conclude that Nokia E71 is out of luck, where skype is concerned !!

You can only make voice calls.  No video.  :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
willscaithy

orelmike is so much right....!!!
Please use plain text.