Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: window live messenger for nokia

Advisor

window live messenger for nokia

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
shuntfield

According to the register site:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/23/windows_live_nokia/

You have to use the "Download!" Application from within your handset to download it.

Interestingly it states:
"Right now the service is free, though the terms and conditions make it clear that a monthly subscription may be imposed later (with a 30-day warning). Such a subscription will be paid to Microsoft or Nokia, not the network operator."

So expect to pay... at some stage.

Shunts....
I will mostly be communicating with a Nokia E72 Zodium Black
Nokia E72-1 with Vr 051.018.207.04 Software
If this post helped... Add some kudos!! :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Yes if you have a compatible phone.

This offical version has been around for a while and works really well:

http://www.symbianv3.com/new-windows-live-messenger-perfect

More versions should appear in future for other models.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jonphelps

Gurie,

I've installed Windows Live for Nokia S60 Version 1.0.6141 to my 6110 navigator.

I was surprised this was released as the network operators must hate it as it has potential to destroy their profit margins as they get a large proportion of their revenue from text messages.

Go careful as there are a number of old versions floating around the net coming from MSN in the far east.

Windows Live looks very pretty when you run it but I've been unable to get it to sign in. I get the message "Messenger is not available right now. Please try again later"

Although the access point is set to use WAP or GPRS, after a failed attempt at logging in, inspecting the data log reveals no traffic was either sent or received! (It did however connect fine to the net after installing to configure itself. Strange?)

I'm wondering if this only works on say a N95 with a WLAN.

One more thing, after installing you will notice a new tab added to the contacts folder. I'm guessing if you can get it to sign in this will be populated with your live contacts?

If anyone has any further info or a link to later release, please post back.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]
You have to install two files to get it to work correctly.

The link I posted above includes both files and works perfectly using gprs or wi-fi.

I've tested it on an E65 and others have tested it on N73's, N80's and N95's.

It worked perfectly on them all and it can be minimised so that it runs in the background.

Message Edited by psychomania on 23-Aug-200712:33 PM

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jonphelps

Psychomania, Thanks for posting back.

Both files I downloaded were installed. I'll try your link to see if the files you have are any different?

Apparently the installation order of the two files is important. Depending on which website you read, you get told different things?

Can you remember which order you installed yours in?

If you've managed to get it to work over WAP/GPRS then I will attempt an uninstall and a re-installing later today.

Cheers
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

First install dep.sisx, and secondly install WindowsLive.SIS

I use this program daily on gprs and have not had any trouble at all with it.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jonphelps

Will try this order as its different to the order I used. (I installed in the order suggested in the readme file enclosed with the download)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

I'm guessing that if it doesn't work then it may not be compatible with the 6110nav.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

hi

NOKIA PRESS RELEASE 23/08/2007

Nokia and Microsoft to deliver Windows Live services to millions of mobile customers

Industry leaders join forces to bring Web services to Nokia devices

please check

http://www.nokia.com/windowslive
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jonphelps

Thanks for posting this Nokia news update!!

Just tried it with the Nokia 6110 Navigator and the Windows Live application does not appear on the list for download via the phone.

Nokia's site says it is not compatible with the 6110 Navigator so I guess they're detecting my phone and only offering up compatible downloads? (I'm not sure why? There should be no reason this won't run)

If anyone manages to download this direct to their phone, please can they post back the reported version number. Its can be found by selecting 'options', 'about'.

Cheers
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jonphelps

Following on from Psychomanias post earlier today..

I have located a later Windows Live Messenger for Nokia S60 at the following web address

Windows Live Nokia S60 v1.1.8161

It installs without any problems on the Nokia 6110 Navigator but it just won't log onto my Live account. I've tried changing the order of installation and still no joy.

I can only agree with Nokia that it doesn't work on the Navigator 6110. :smileysad: If anyone can provide a logical explanation for this then please post back.

If anyone does get it going on the Navigator, please also post back and let us know how you did it. Maybe "I did bad" somewhere along the line?
Please use plain text.

I can confirm that it works very nicely!
I bought my 6110 navigator today, updated the firmware, downloaded the windows live and dep file to my computer and transfered it to the phone, installed it, and it works great!
Please use plain text.

There is a new version of windows live search for PC's, which uses a silverlight plugin, called
"tafiti". Is Nokia planning to support a mobile version of this browser on N-series or S60-series phones?

frontiersci
Denmark

here is a copy of the notice I posted on the Danish engineering magazine "Ingeniøren":

Microsoft has launched a new website, Tafiti.com, that delivers Windows Live Search in a Silverlight interface. Tafiti, swahili for “do research” or “to search”, is more of an expriment, showing the cool applications and UI that are possible with Silverlight, but it is fully functional, with Live Search, including web search, books search, blog search, news search, and image search. It appears that you have to uninstall the Silverlight 1.1 alpha and re-install the 1.0 Release Candidate to make it run (that’s not getting annoying).

You can drag searches over to the areas on the right side, then, share them with others or your other PCs (or Macs). Each search stacks on a card above the last one. Tafiti uses some pretty cool animation, only possible with Silverlight. There’s a really cool carousel that rotates among search types. The news search uses a very cool newspaper style view.

There’s also this cool tree view, that shows items from the search on a rotating tree. It’s good for a screensaver, and can be clicked to run full screen.

On10 has a video demo of the website.

Check out Tafiti, it’s pretty cool, and it goes to show you what Silverlight is capable of. Five guys built this, so the possibilities are more than there for small teams to do cool things.
Please use plain text.
sairus

hiiiiiii there everyone :smileywink:

is there any messenger program for the nokia n80 that i can make video calls to p.cs ?!?!?
http://www.sairus2000.blogspot.com
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]
i cant see Windows Live in my download window :smileysad:

Edit: removed email address.

Message Edited by scousermodman on 27-Sep-2007 11:12 AM

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

It is country/region and network operator specific. In other words, it might not be available on all networks in all countries.
Please use plain text.

you will need a "microsoft passport" or hotmail adress to log onto the messenger site. There are a number of different versions of messenger, you will need to choose the right one for your phone. http://join.msn.com
Please use plain text.

There are a number of instant messenging programs for Nokia phones, including the N80 you ask about. There are versions of Skype, googletalk,etc. See more at http://mosh.nokia.com

frontierscientist
Please use plain text.