Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

.NBF File - Please Help

Registered Member

.NBF File - Please Help

I have backed up my text messages to the memory card on my 6500 slide, and have then copied this file to my PC.  Now that I come to open the file I cannot as it has an ".NBF" extension.  I have tried to open it in all Microsoft Programs including Excel, WordPad, NotePad etc without any joy whatsoever. I have even tried to override the the extension to ".TXT" and ".XLS" and still nothing.  All that comes up is loads of gobbledegook!

I am wanting to open the text messages on the backup file on to my computer!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

Re: .NBF File - Please Help

The backup file is only intended to be able to restore daa to the phone, so ordinarily you can't interrogate the data.

You can search for the "Noki" software to read the contents of backup files, but an easier method is to export them from the phone to a CSV file using Communication Centre in PC Suite, this will be readable in Excel.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Frysk

Solution that worked for me:

Had .nbf (not .nfb) backup file from a Nokia 3120 Classic, which was lost.
Nokia PC Suite didn't work (as I didn't have the same model phone to restore to).
NOKI Software didn't work.
NTI Backup Now didn't work.

But the following did work:

Rename the .nbf to .zip
Unpack it and away you go. It provided my contacts as v-cards.
I went into the unpacked folder to:
backup000/predefhiddenfolder/backup/WIP/32/contacts
And all my v-cards were waiting.
Selected them all and opened with Mac Address Book. Done.

If it's not that simple for you, you may need NOKI software AFTER unpacking the zip.

Hope this saves people them time it took me to find...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ankitagada

by doin wat u said i got contacts but then how to get messages? msgs dun open in NOKI also

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tollooe

about backup files in nokia phone-3600slide model

I provided backup from my contacts and messages. when I restore the backup file(with .nbf extension), only the messages restored. How can I restore my contacts? The backup file is in memory card or support memory.(not in phone memory).model of my phone is: nokia -3600slide model. please guide me.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MoutasimWaheed

Thanks, It works.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
notverychelsea

That is a heroic discovery. Thank you so much - you have saved me hours of misery...

Please use plain text.
nida_sid

NBF File - Please Help

I have a .NBF back up file of my nokia 3600 slider. That phone is lost, so how could i restore the backup file i have on Nokia 2730 classic. Is there any way to convert NBF file into NBU file.?

Plsss help..:-(

Please use plain text.
nida_sid

I have a .NBF back up file of my messages in nokia 3600 slider. That phone is lost, so how could i restore the backup file i have on Nokia 2730 classic. Is there any way to convert NBF file into NBU file.? Plsss help..:-(

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
petrusek

Hi guys, could you please test new version of NbuExplorer with your backups? Support for NBF backup format is introduced in version 2.4 which was just released. I had only few sample backups to test, so any further feedback is welcomed.

Please use plain text.
chellus

hai,
i did in this same way, but i cannot get my messages and contacts too. i had the .nbf file took from nokia 7210. i want to restore it give me some other ways.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Tall_Lady

Re: .NBF File - Please Help - how to restore the restored back up file?

Hi Guys,

I got lost. For some reason I pressed the restore back up button and yes! it created the infamous .nbf file. I could manage to store this file onto my PC but first I cannot open it, which would not be a problem, but I do not know how to restore it to my mobile? I lost all of my contacts and messages. Contacts are crucial... (yes, I am blonde to any gadgets!) 

Probably I should have a smart phone by now, but I was quite happy to have just a phone! It`s a Nokia 5310 RED phone (sorry, being a woman doesnt help, but that`s how far I can get)

Btw, just before some very kind and helpful user starts thinking, no I am not drunk, just a blonde bimbo who had nothing else to do on Saturday evening than mess up her phone!

So any advice on how to restore the back up file to the phone would be more than appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Ps: Orange (mobile provider) is currently not available...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mindhunter

buddy thx a lot.... it really help me to find my contacts... otherwise i was in great trouble....really really a many thx to u..
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nikks029

hey Thanks buddy :smileyhappy:
This really works
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AngelaK

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This worked perfectly you are a lifesaver!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mshafeeq

Hi there,

I have back up the txt messages and now I have a file with extension.NBF. I want to restore those text messages on a Black Berry 9360 but having some problem. Can anyone help me please.

Thanks and Kind Regards

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
petrusek

I am afraid there is no general solution for "some" problem....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ddlab

Hey... Very good idea, it worked like a charme, quick import to mac addressbook, Thanks a lot. You´re great
Please use plain text.
karunyen

i have searched a lot but still i cant able to find the solution to open .nbf backup files..!!!

the above solution may help to open the contacts but i want to open text message

anybody have the solution????:confused:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
petrusek

Have you tried current version of NbuExplorer? How does it look like when you open your backup in it?

Please use plain text.