Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia X6 questions from an interested buyer

Counsellor

Nokia X6 questions from an interested buyer

[ Edited ]

i am selling my Samsung Galaxy S as i am very disappointed with its poor battery life and various bugs that came along with it. even with Froyo 2.2 coming the only thing that would save its day would be an excellent battery life, a fully-optimised software with Google Android and a good network signal which in my case i don't have.  

until i saw your Nokia X6 which might suits me as regards music is concerned. but i wanted to ask:

1.. does it have the ability to edit/make a playlist on-the-fly (without the use of a software)  

2. does it have the ability to add songs to the playlist on-the-fly 

4. can i customise the EQ settings on ALL or a particular song to my liking? 

5. compared to a resistive screen how is the touchscreen? is it that responsive?

6. what would be the best way to update the software? over-the-air or thru the Ovi suite?

7. i'm a bit particular on a phone's software and firmware. is there a way to

know the phones software version? and

is there a way to find out what updates does the OS "provide" my phone? (i.e. OS details)

8. is the X6 BBC iplayer compatible?

9. is there a way to actually play divx or xvid (in avi or mkv containers) on the X6?

10. i've heard there is no "kinetic scrolling" ability on the main menu. only on sub menus and the music & video menus i think. is this true? if yes then can this be applied on the next software update? 

11. is there a cover flow-esque style in the music menu / player?

the reason i will be buying the X6 is mainly for its music capability ( a dedicated audio chip, surround sound, etc.). the apps are secondary but would be very beneficial to me in many ways anyway....

please convince me that this is the phone for me...

thanks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tuckster

I have both an iphone 4 (wife has it actually) and the X6.

if you can stretch it ... get the iphone 4 if music, video, responsiveness etc are top on your list.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tuckster

ok ... i'll try to answer this one ...

1.. yes  

2. yes

4. not sure

5. it is responsive, but only if not multi-tasking too much. not sure how it compares to a resistive touch screen.

6. have not update the firmware yet. You can do it over wi-fi, or via ovi suite, but not sure what is the "best" way.

7. yes, but I don't know if there are any details of what features a new firmware provides.

8. have not tried

9. have not tried

10. i don't think kinetic scrolling is needed on the main menu (homescreen) as there isn't enough stuff there.

11. not sure what you mean.

again ... if u can afford it, get an iphone 4 for music,video,ultra sharp screen and responsiveness.

I guess I am going to get a lot of gripe for recommending an iphone in a nokia forum.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

i'm afraid i couldn't afford an iPhone 4 unless they lower the price down to GBP200 only which might not happen in 5 years. 

the reason i found the X6 interesting for me is the specs on the audio department. i will be using the phone primarily for playing my MP3 files and nothing else. the apps are only secondary but basic stuff like weather, tube alerts, dictionary, wikipedia, facebook, twitter and the like should be more than enough for me.

don't get me wrong. the Galaxy S is a nice phone. but like i said until they sort out the side of the OS and firmware and battery life issues (plus the poor signal of Orange) then i will have to confine/limit myself to music phones and so far the X6 fit the bill partly because of again the specs on the audio department (surround/widening sound, dedicated audio chip, etc.)

in relation to my thread i'd like to ask further:

1. are there any phones that is as good as the X6 when it comes to the audio specs?

2. with the coming C-series (C7 & C6) would they be as good as the X-series? basing on the specs & features so far they seem to be marketed as smartphone or for business users and doesn't seem to be as a "dedicated" music phone.

any comments or sugestions please?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tuckster

ok ... now that the iphone is out of our system, I have to say the X6 is pretty good for music.

a) It is very loud ... louder than the iphone (I think)

b) At its loudest setting, you do notice the quality dropping ... but only slightly.

I guess it has all the makings of an ipod ... but there are niggles ... esp if you need to use the ovi music store (just read this forum). I have my music on unrestricted mp3 so not a problem loading my X6 with music.

I am still unsure about it ... not that good for web browsing, apps slightly limited, slightly un-responsive at times ... camera good, but not great ... but pretty good value though.

all in all ... I think it is a good mid-high range smart phone ...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
muirio

The audio quality on the X6 is excellent - the speakers are loud and good quality. With headphones in, even better. This and the camera are probably the phone's only saving grace, as it is otherwise plagued with bugs with almost all of the preinstalled apps.

Having said that, I've never had any problems with the music player. You can manage your music through the Ovi Suite software suite that comes with it or WMP, both of which I don't personally like but can get used to!

The only other thing you may have issues with is the battery life, which gets chewed through very quickly using some apps (e.g. GPS and internet based - which for obvious reasons are power demanding). I'm not sure how much of a drain the music player is because I hardly use it, but I doubt it'll be much.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
star_s

[ Edited ]

The Nokia X6 is a music phone. It comes in 3 different variants;

• Nokia X6 32GB
  • Nokia X6 16GB
  • Nokia X6 8GB

The Nokia X6 32GB Comes With Unlimited Music License so you can download as many songs as you want for 1 year. To your questions here are the answers;

Yes

Yes

EQ settings is customizable, so this effects all the songs.

Touchscreen repsonse is fast but not fast as the HTC Legend, Galaxy S.

Over the air is safer than the OVI suite (which sometimes can lead to a dead phone).

If you press *#0000# it will show you the firmware on the X6. If you go here you can select the X6 and it will tell you the latest version and the improvements/fixes/updates.

Don't know.

Don't know.

kinetic scrolling is available on the main menu using either v20 or v21 firmware.

Nope there isn't any. It just plain. It does however display album art.

By the way the Nokia X6 has other settings for the music player such as:

- Loudness

- Stereo Widening

- Balance (L/R)

This phone is great for music needs and the bettery is top notch. The speakers are by far the best from any other Nokia phones and the audio quality is the best and better than 5800 (which I owned before).

1. are there any phones that is as good as the X6 when it comes to the audio specs?

Nokia X6 is the best music phone so far. Some say Nokia 5800 got better audio quality, it's either their def or something. Anyone advises you to get 5800 for audio quality is a just dreaming. Nokia X6 audio quality is better than 5800.

2. with the coming C-series (C7 & C6) would they be as good as the X-series? basing on the specs & features so far they seem to be marketed as smartphone or for business users and doesn't seem to be as a "dedicated" music phone.

The C6 and C7 are no good for music.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

thank you so much for the answers.

you see the other phones that fancy me (to be used mainly in listening to my MP3 files) are the Galaxy S (which right now i am selling) and the Galaxy Apollo (both from Samsung) but i'm afraid that they will just sound the same and having almost similar features/capability on the music front (i.e. playing music, adding playlist & songs, etc.) i might get stuck and bored with them.

the X6 looks promising. of course my budget will also play a part in determining my decision but so far things are looking bright for the X6.

would it matter if i buy the 8GB or 16GB or 32GB? i like the azure one. black is too common for me.

can i ask also how is the overall responsiveness of the apps? like opening and closing?

and can the phone do multi-tasking? like say listening to internet radio whilst flicking thru photos for instance? (but its not like i'll be doing it most of the time)

and for how long does Nokia plan to keep on releasing software updates for the X6? 

Please use plain text.
Sage
chandana99

@ gino_76ph

Welcome to nokia X6 world

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tuckster

price of X6 should be coming down a bit ...

I would say the 32GB would suit music better ... simply because it has more storage.

With regards to responsiveness ... well, as long as your expectations are not too high, the X6 is OK when multi-tasking ... it may be on the slow side, but not bad, e.g. you can live with it.

The most cost effective way to achieve your goals are :-

nokia 6300 + external speakers + microSD card ...

of course, you lose all the gadgets that comes with the X6 ... the one that i would miss most is the GPS.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

would the difference between them be only the storage?

underneath they are all the same?

i was thinking of just taking the 8GB version as i have an 8GB microSD so that would bring me up to 16GB in total which i feel would be enough for my MP3 files. i don't intend to put all my music files to the phone anyway. haha.

and oh btw does the X6 comes with "Internet radio" under the Radio menu just like my E5?

p.s. i do like the azure one. better than the black one.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tuckster

hmmnnn ... one minor glitch in your microsd plan ... the X6 does not have a microsd slot ... i.e. the size of the storage is FIXED, that was why I suggested the 32GB version.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
star_s

I would agree with tuckster go with the 32GB version. Enough storage and it comes with unlimited music so you can download any music that are available from the OVI Music Store for FREE for 1 year.

Can someone correct me/confirm if the Comes With Music which is now OVI Music, is it DRM FREE?

Please use plain text.
Sage
chandana99

hi gino_76ph

sorry,

•  X6 do not have micro SD and internet radio, thats why I prefer u to have X6 (32gb) so that u can enjoy u r music a lot
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

the 32GB is out of reach of my budget. if i can do with the 8GB with a non-fixed microSD card slot compatibility then i will.

unless all of them variants don't do microSD card slots....:-(

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

i currently have the new E5 and the only thing i found out was it has a graphic equaliser, bass boost and stereo widening. it doesn't compare to my Galaxy S when it comes to sound as it has their propeitory DnSE sound enhancment.  and i use a Sony earphone and the sound is almost as equal to my old Sony MP3 players.

i havn't heard what an X6 sounds like so its difficult to judge it other than post my queries here.

only way to find out is to try it in-store but it's difficult because either the store has no stock of the X6 for testing or they will refuse it. stupid really!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
star_s

@gino_76ph

You from the UK? If you are pop in to Carphone Warehouse and ask them to show you a demo unit of the X6 and that you are interested. Take your own earphones and ask them you want to test an audio song out and they will let you.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tuckster

With regard to Question 8

8. NO -> The X6 is NOT compatible with the BBC iplayer. I got hold of v1.6.0.0 of the BBC iplayer app and although it will load, you cannot select any videos ... seems like the screen has been collapsed or something.

tough ...

Phones4u are also very keen people ... just tell them u are thinking of getting an iphone 4 for the wife and an X6 for yourself and they will be all over you.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

yup i'm from the UK in London to be exact.

my E5 sounds "Ok" when i'm listening to internet radio. but i guess that depends on the bitrate.

standard 128k MP3 files sounds below my standard. but even with a 320k bitrate i doubt the difference will be noticeable.

i suppose one way tio find out is by popping in at a carphonewarehouse or phones4u shop. they always swarm to you like bees and they always tempt ypou to buy one. all i want is a SIM-free music phone. not a DJ set. lol.

Please use plain text.
darkbloom

the x6 is easily damaged if dropped and dont have covers made to protect them that i can find... a good warranty is handy for this phone imo :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.