Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

X3-02 WLAN/3G/GPRS/MMS Tips

Counsellor
regentofgaia

X3-02 WLAN/3G/GPRS/MMS Tips

Hello everyone,

Iv'e discovered something about this handset. Hope this can help you. :smileytongue:

When I bought this handset, it automaticaly saved an acess point in my settings>configuration.

It was named after my network carrier. The name's "MyGlobe" or lets just call it "Config 1". I thought the phone automatically sent a request for gprs/mms settings like my old nokia phone. But I was wrong.

This configuration have the ff:

Items recieved:

*Web

*Multimedia messaging

*Streaming

*x-midlet-NokiaVisualRadio

*x-midlet-NokiaOviStore

*x-midlet-NokiaSearch

*x-midlet-NokiaContacts

*x-midlet-NokiaCommunities

*x-midlet-OperaSoftware ASAOpera Mini

*x-midlet-NokiaOviMusic

*x-midlet-ShazamEntertainmentShazam

*Access Point

When I use this settings and open an application that is internet dependent, the phone will prompt me what to use.

Select internet connection:

Search WLAN

MyGlobe Connect

Do not ask

If I'll choose WLAN, it will search for Wireless Access Points.

Then if I'll choose the second one, It will not connect me because It's not the real access point provided by my network carrier. It will only display an H or G but not inside the box. Thus when I choose this connection for my MMS, it wont allow me to retrieve it automatically.

What I did is request an access point from my network carrier and they give me this. The name is "Globe Prepaid" or "Config 2".

Items recieve:

*Web

*Multimedia messaging

*Access Point

When it's my default configuration settings, and i will open an application that is internet  dependent, it wont promt me what access point to choose. It automaticaly uses 3G/GPRS connection even if i choose the settings that always ask me. And eventually it eats up my credits.

What I did is use Config 1 as my default config settings so I can use wifi so my network wont charge me. And when wifi is not available, I choose Config 2 so i can use 3G/GPRS as my access.

On MMS Settings under messaging settings, i set it as config 2 as the default.

Now I can retrieve MMS automaticaly and resolve my WLAN vs. 3G/GPRS problems.

If you have too many settings in your configuration, and you're kinda confused do this.

backup your phone first. Menu> Settings> Sync and Backup.
Delete all settings in the configuration> Default Configuration Settings.
Power off your phone, remove the battery for a while.
place it back and turn it on.
wait for a while so the phone will create the first access point.
when a settings shows up in the configuration and have its x-midlet-*name*, you have the settings that can choose WLAN or 3G/GPRS.
Remember the name or write it down.
Request an access point from your network provider if you want to use 3G/GPRS access.

I hope this can help you guys.

Please use plain text.