Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

X6: Is there a way to restore all the data from X6...

vanillaice

X6: Is there a way to restore all the data from X6 to before it's been firmware updated?

[ Edited ]

This must be the most stupid thing ever happened in the world of mobile phone.

After renewed the existing firmware of X6 to v20.0.005, I found out that all the data (contact information, notes, scheudle and settings) stored has just gone. Is it being wiped out?  Before the download of new firmware, I read an article and it said X6 does support UDP (user data preservation), and hence no need to worry about the loss of the data during the firmware installation.

I'm regretting that not do the backup before installation, anyhow, thing just happened and could someone help me out from this?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: X6: Is there a way to restore all the data from X6 to before it's been firmware updated?

The X6 does have UDP but it is always still recommended that you backup your data prior to updating.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to retrieve data unless you have a previous backup you can restore.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Re: X6: Is there a way to restore all the data from X6 to before it's been firmware updated?

It's a bit like bolting the stable door after the horse has gone, but backing up your phone is just basic, with all the capabilities and content on a modern smart phone ! I use Ovi Suite to sync my contacts and messages at least twice per week, and my Ovi account to back up Contacts , Calendar and notes a couple of times a month OTA. I only do a full backup every couple of months as settings can cause conflict with software updates, as by there nature, they change the operating system and so updates are often more 'buggy' if you use old settings. I've posted BACK UP YOUR PHONE, a few times, but unfortunately people still 'hope for the best' and don't bother, all Nokia computer software advises a backup before updating.

Also a soft reset before a software update gives a 'cleaner' install, and results in a better experience with the new software on your phone. 

So, have Ovi Suite and Nokia Software Updater on your computer, keep your micro usb cable handy, and sync a couple of times per week.

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.