C3-00 - Phone Update does not work through WIFI [BUG]
chromecat
Sage
‎12-08-2010 10:10

In Settings->Phone->Phone Updates->Downl. phone software the firmware update fails to connect when GPRS connection is not available. The update cannot be performed using WIFI.

The phone displays the confirmation message: "You are about to connect to the internet. ...

When I confirm this, it tries "Connecting to Nokia", but as there is "No network connection." it is unable to download anything. This occurs every time I try to use the feature.

During the connection the phone displays the G icon denoting that it tries to connect using GPRS.

Other services (browsing, messaging, mail, ovi store, etc.) work using WIFI. Update can be performed using the OVI suite.

Configuration:

C3-00 V 03.36 05-07-10 RM-614 Variant: 87.02

Add Comment
Kudo 0
ryanismo
Sage
‎13-08-2010 5:19
The FOTA upgrade uses only the GPRS connection. :smileysad:
Add Comment
Kudo 0
chromecat
Sage
‎13-08-2010 9:46

Looks like FOTA over WIFI is possible, for some models at least: a user in this thread reported successful FOTA over WIFI update on an E72.

Btw, thanks for adding the correct name for the service (FOTA).

Add Comment
Kudo 0
RRJS
Registered Member
‎30-09-2010 20:10

i have the same problem i cant update my nokia c3-00 through wifi.even in GPRS the update cant be downloaded even i have a load for my prepaid account to use inter through GPRS...i also have the configuration from my network operator..i can access internet sometime a letter "E" apears on top and sometimes a letter "G"..and most of all the other problem is even in my pc suite i downloaded the sofware updater from nokia.com and still i cannot update my c3-00 using my pc...please need a helping hand...hope some one can instruct us what to do to update it to ver 4.45 tnx a lot..

Add Comment
Kudo 0
chromecat
Sage
‎30-09-2010 23:48
If neither method works, contact a nokia care point. They should upgrade your phone's firmware to the latest version.
Add Comment
Kudo 0
dio_lucifer
Contributor
‎05-10-2010 22:42

It seems that the reason for this is because the phone should like coordinate with the service provider if an update should be installed on the handset since it might disable some network feature that's why C3 should be updating throuhg data connection rather than wifi

Just got my C3 last friday and it seems to be working fine with 3.35 version without the so called bugs with wifi connection I've read on the net.

Friendly advise: For those who haven't experienced any problems with their C3, don't update it until you've get used  with whatever performance your C3 have so when you'll be updating it, you will know which will be a bug and, if ever, which is a fix from the update.

Info: Newest update is already 4.60(Philippines, though)

Add Comment
Kudo 0
Rizwanrana92
Registered Member
‎11-10-2010 10:21

I buy C 3 at 1 oct 2010 now my version is 4.45 i can see in nokia news that Version release 4.60 i why can,t i update to my phone trough any way.i used all methods i try through wifi through Pc update everyway.Nokia experts Should Be help us to Resolve that problem otherwise people we will Recemmend all of our friends to not to buy that phone.because There is No one who help To Resolve issues.

i have friends Community of  10226  Friends in my Community many of them want to buy this phone  we always update each other about new phone they are all waiting to buy this phone i stoped and waiting for update of Phone works or not.it Depend on nokia that is they really care or They just want to sell the phone and include the features which maybe work or not does matter.one thing is Confirm if we have feature that phone update through wifi then we Never visit To carepoint.we Think it is easy us to move another company of phone neither then Visit all people to carepoint.if nokia don,t have time to resolve issue we also not have time to visit carepoint. Thanks

Add Comment
Kudo 0
maxqamar
Registered Member
‎04-11-2010 15:21

Please use GPRS/EDGE only to update your phone, as this is the simplest and shortest way to get phone update. Simply go to menu,settings,phone, phone updates. Here you can start the download of your phone update directly on the operator GPRS/EDGE connection.

Add Comment
Kudo 0
Charlyyy
Registered Member
‎21-12-2010 18:05
The wifi on my phone used to work untill i let my friend put my sim card in my phone then when i changed it back it never worked. I took my phone into the shop and they told me that o2 pay and go only gives you wifi for free for certain amout of time well i figured out for myself that they where talking **bleep**. I took the sim card and memory card out of my phone then i went into settings and foud the option to reset the setting the security code is 12345 then when i put my simcard back in everything works fine.. So never listen to the poeple working in phone shops :smileyhappy:
Add Comment
Kudo 0
e_berlin
Advisor
‎05-05-2011 14:23

Same problem with my C3-00 ("No network connection. Unable to download") - does NOT update via Wi-Fi even though it's CLEARLY STATED that FOTA works with both Wi-Fi and GPRS! I'm getting tired of this Nokia cr*ap they're giving us every time we try to actually do something with our devices. Nokia will completely fail over the next few years just because of their black agreements with mobile providers for using their GPRS - a thing they always call "a bug". It's not a bug, it's intentional.

Add Comment
Kudo 0
chriz93
Registered Member
‎20-08-2012 6:06
Ive got same probs too..,every time i update my phone to the latest software it say's no new software updates.., but its current v8.65 & i wnt it to become v8.70
Add Comment
Kudo 0
ng85
Mobile Guru
‎20-08-2012 8:13

Firmware versions vary by Region/Product Code/Network locked or unlocked. When the update is available for your phone it will be shown via Nokia Suite.

Connect your phone to a computer & select Nokia Suite mode. If you do not have Nokia Suite on your pc you can download it from here. Now open the Nokia Suite & click on the “green icon of arrow pointing downwards”.

If any updates are available they will be shown in ‘green’. If not you may reinstall the current version. Reinstall option is shown in ‘blue’. If no option to reinstall is shown, please wait for sometime it will become visible.  Then the Nokia Suite will download the new software version of the phone. After it you will be prompted to take a complete back up of the device content. Please do not skip this step as reinstallation will erase all the personal data from the phone like contacts, messages, calendar entries etc.

Please note that if you have set a memory card password & you have forgotten its code then take a backup of the card data also as the card will be locked after update and can only be unlocked if you enter the correct code or by ways mentioned in this thread.

Also note that while updating the device ensure the following things-

1. The device is full charged.
  2. The internet connection Is of good speed & has a backup in case of power loss.
  3. The PC should also be connected to back up power source as if the process is interrupted the phone may go dead. More on update failure & its remedies here.
  4. Please do not run any resource intensive programs in the background while updating as it may freeze the PC which in turn will lead to a dead device.
  5. Ignore all the windows pop-up notifications about device being disconnected.

DO NOT DISCONNECT THE PHONE UNTIL UPDATE IS COMPLETED.

1. It will be better if you disable security keyguard & PIN code request before proceeding with Update/Reinstallation.

If any problem persists please visit the nearest authorised Nokia Care Centre.

Nokia Lumia 920
Add Comment
Kudo 0
ErmacShadow
‎02-01-2013 19:42

Dear Sir,

The reason why we are asking to download via WLAN over GPRS/EDGE is because of cost. Many Phone providers charge a Crown and a Pound for 1mb of data, and it is much cheaper to simply connect via WiFi.

Add Comment
Kudo 0
tiny_chef
Community Manager
‎04-01-2013 14:32

You can try to update the phone software using Nokia Suite. You can also backup your files before updating and have the option to restore the data back to phone afterwards. You may refer to the post above for detailed instructions on how-to.

Add Comment
Kudo 0